Am I a Hoarder?

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 26
Gerald | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 24 2021 7:13 AM

hoarder

noun hoard·​er | \ ˈhȯrd-ər  \

Medical Definition of hoarder

a person affected with hoarding disorder Most hoarders … know that their behavior is socially unacceptable and as a result actively conceal it from others. I just bought 8 more titles from the March Madness and Sale items that looked like interesting reading, for $65 and change. I have avoided the seducing payment plan for a few years now, and did so again as I reviewed the deals. I know I have way more titles than I can ever read, but why do I keep adding? What is this called? Logositis? Logosorocis? Help!!!
Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 7:35 AM

Gerald:
I know I have way more titles than I can ever read, but why do I keep adding?

Each of us needs to prayerfully ask when enough is enough and we should avoid any judgmental accusations of others. I would guess that the majority of Logos uses have more titles than they could possibly read so, if reading was the only goal perhaps we don't need to add any more. 

I think the primary reason why many of us have large libraries is to improve our ability to search.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1107
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 8:18 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I think the primary reason why many of us have large libraries is to improve our ability to search.

That's what I tell myself, but I've always had a weak spot for books.  If I'm honest with myself, I buy more than I really need.

Posts 1977
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 8:22 AM

join prison ministry & see the broken hearts or ... go to the waiting room of the pediatric ICU where all the parents are crying tears of blood for their kids’ terminal condition, or.... look for homeless ministry around & stay with the homeless closely for 15min and see if you can stand the smell & not have a change of heart, or .... go to YouTube and watch videos of missionaries that are from 10/40 or 20/40 window & see how much they sacrificed to live and have much they own.... then come back. 😇

or you could just simply consider whether you ever "really" gonna read those books, or you’re buying them just because they’re cheap. And....and .... consider how many other books you have that you haven’t read. 

yes, that was a guilt trip & I’m fun at parties. 

my parents always gave me advice when I was a child.... "don’t always look up when you walk, look down also"..... meaning don’t always think about gaining better things in life, consider those who are at the bottom who are poorer that you, so that you don’t stumble when you walk. It’s an Asian proverb. 

see... I’m fun at parties 🤓

Posts 23
Michael Wert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 8:44 AM

Gerald:

hoarder

noun hoard·​er | \ ˈhȯrd-ər  \

Medical Definition of hoarder

a person affected with hoarding disorder Most hoarders … know that their behavior is socially unacceptable and as a result actively conceal it from others. I just bought 8 more titles from the March Madness and Sale items that looked like interesting reading, for $65 and change. I have avoided the seducing payment plan for a few years now, and did so again as I reviewed the deals. I know I have way more titles than I can ever read, but why do I keep adding? What is this called? Logositis? Logosorocis? Help!!!

I think of myself as a sub category of hoarder or as a finisher of collections or packages.  I want them all complete.  I won’t necessarily use them but not seeing the purchase now button that light gray color bothers me when I know I have most of the collection.  I am dealing with this and I did not buy any that I could have easily finished for under $30 this year with March Madness.  One big problem for me is the monthly deals with 5 books for under $20.  I have purposely not bought some of these because they are of a larger collection and I knew I would need to finish the collection in the future.  Same thing regarding the bronze to platinum packages. Marketing contributes to my problem and I have got vacuumed into it.  I do not want to know the amount I have spent over the last 20 years with Logos.  Luckily, years ago I gave up on Parsons Bible program that turned into Quick Verse.  I even reperched in Logos to have all the books in just the one program.  So I have confessed this obsession, hoarding disorder, sin.  I am with you, praying for a fellow brother. 

Posts 1231
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 8:57 AM

Hi, I’m David and I’m a Logos-holic!

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 5368
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 9:08 AM

I console myself with the thought that, unlike the volumes on my bookshelf, my Logos acquisitions used virtually no resources and can be disposed of without requiring recycling or landfill.

Resource-less resources!

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 9:30 AM

haha. I would have replied earlier but I was looking a some possible new book purchases. True story. 

Do I need any more books? He!! no. I am trying to stop but it's tough. As someone earlier said, we do have more than we'll ever read.

It's that rush. Searching for new titles for hours. The excitement of whittling down your possible purchases and then adding them to your cart and selecting Next and then Place order.

I remember when we used Libronix and actually had to call in to place our orders. I still have all those CD's that were mailed to me! And the worst thing was that customer service wasn't open on the weekends! I remember the anxiety of those days. As a matter of fact, that really wasn't that bad after all. Come Monday my desire to get those books had gone.

Simply put, I'm an impulse buyer. So what I'm trying to do now is to go to the Lord and seek His advice. Call it a coincidence, but I don't think so. More than a few sermons I've been listening to on XM Radio while I do my deliveries have been about seeking Christ first in all decisions. And that's a hard thing to do when my first impulse is to follow my wants and not my needs. 

Common sense works well too. What bills do I need to pay. Mortgage payment and utilities are coming up. Do I have enough for gas and paying down some debts.  AND DO I REALLY NEED THAT BOOK? So if I'm honest with myself and I really mean honest - I don't need any other books. I have way too many and like mentioned before I'll probably not read at least 50-75% of them. Which like most of you, still leaves a ton of them. 

So brothers work hard to please the Lord in all things, book purchases included.

mm. 

David Wanat:

Hi, I’m David and I’m a Logos-holic!

mm.

Posts 2737
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 9:52 AM

Of course I am. Geeked No apologies, no regrets.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1666
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 9:59 AM

We Logos-holics are keeping the authors and programmers alive.Wink

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 43
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 10:07 AM

Perhaps another view of Logos collecting might be "marketing hustle".

Posts 185
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 10:17 AM

Gerald = OP......Where are you??  Please do not desert your thread!!

Posts 181
Kevin S. Coy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 10:27 AM

One positive of my being addicted to books is I have a large storage device with Verbum/Logos.  I have run out of room in my house for my bound (dead tree) books.  I don't think my bride wants to see anymore books Smile .  She rolls her eyes when I tell her that they are for her too.... 

God bless,

KSC

“The greatest single cause of atheism...is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” Brennan Marshall

Posts 1104
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 10:50 AM

One view that is the opposite of being a hoarder is being a steward. One definition of being a steward is : A biblical world view of stewardship can be consciously defined as: "Utilizing and managing all resources God provides for the glory of God and the betterment of His creation." The central essence of biblical world view stewardship is managing everything God brings into the believer's life in a manner that honors God.

We could all be better stewards of every aspect of our lives.

Posts 1104
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 11:12 AM

I have to keep reminding myself that I need to live on a budget and underspend after I've overspent. I'm daily going through my on-order pre-pub list and deleting resources I don't need or can't afford. Logos is very addictive.

Posts 26
Gerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 11:45 AM

scooter:

Gerald = OP......Where are you??  Please do not desert your thread!!

Wow! I posted this "Tongue-in-Cheek, but it appears to have struck an interest.

Michael Wert, I am just like you on completing packages, in fact I think 3 of my purchases did just that. But I do think the ones I purchased are really good ones:).

Mike Binks I like your justification that your saving trees!

Dale Heath your reminder that we are stewards hits home.

Rene Atchley I agree that FaithLife does an excellent job of marketing.

Thanks scooter for the reminder.

And don't let those good buys get away, but only if you are going to read them!

God Bless!

Posts 185
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 11:48 AM

You know, I do not drink, I do not smoke anything, I do not gamble, I do not golf [an expensive men's hobby where I live].  I toddle on over to Logos Street; I buy some books.  + surfer the slings + arrows of a [now] poor CAD/USD exchange rate.  But, I persevere; its good clean fun.

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 2:09 PM

I keep buying more Logos books even though I already have over 27,000 resources in my library. I will likely never read any of the books I've bought in the past few years. In fact I have only read cover-to-cover 65 of them, and poked around in probably a few hundred others.

I used to tell myself that the reason I was acquiring all these books was to enhance my search capability. But the reality is, the more books in my library, the more search hits I get and the more I'd have to wade through them (or spend more time tagging and prioritizing my library) for the results to be very useful. I usually only look at the first half dozen or so results anyway, and those are coming from Logos's ranking, not my prioritizing.

So buying more books will not get me more good results at this point. The types of books I buy are the ones that are meant for reading since I already have accumulated every single reference resource I could ever want. I've stopped buying more new commentaries and more of the serious academic OT/NT monographs. I have complete sets of most of the ones they carry.

No, the actual reason I keep buying Logos books is because I am a hoarder. And because I can afford it.

Posts 2816
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 3:11 PM

Rosie Perera:

I used to tell myself that the reason I was acquiring all these books was to enhance my search capability. But the reality is, the more books in my library, the more search hits I get and the more I'd have to wade through them (or spend more time tagging and prioritizing my library) for the results to be very useful. I usually only look at the first half dozen or so results anyway, and those are coming from Logos's ranking, not my prioritizing.

I still tell myself that "I was acquiring all these books (...) to enhance my search capability".  And Yes, I see that "the more search hits I get (...) the more I'd have to wade through them ". But when the search is an important subject to me I have waded though every single one. Not all the time but I often do.

And the commentary sets that I still want have not been finished yet.

Posts 314
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 7:18 PM

Rosie Perera:
No, the actual reason I keep buying Logos books is because I am a hoarder. And because I can afford it.

Yes, but you also are supporting a software company for the rest of us... perhaps it is people like you that keep Faithlife from becoming the next Bibleworks or WORDsearch and so indirectly you are supporting all of our studies and ministries. 😊

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS