This post has 46 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2021 1:35 PM

Any hopes for a card for the desktop?

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 20
Ira Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 8:20 AM

Thank you so much for all the hard work.

Posts 452
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 3:49 PM

My copy opened up to Thursday of the Fifth Week of Easter, but not Ascension Thursday (which it is in some US dioceses).  

Looking over the presentation, my guess is that, if someone wishes to pray from the Verbum LOTH, they would do well to set up a Layout in the desktop version that would open LOTH in two windows and have another window for the Scripture readings that are not included in Verbum LOTH but only linked.  It's possible to jump back and forth, say, from the psalms for a feast day and the antiphons for that day, but that would be awkward to do on the Verbum mobile app.  

The layout and appearance of LOTH in Verbum is basically the same as the print version.  Nicely done!  It has a lot of potential. What it needs for those who want to pray from this is the ability, like that of apps like iBreviary and Divine Office, to present all the hours of the day - with all psalms and readings - right there on one page.  That might be a lot of work, but it would be worth it.  

Posts 327
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 5:43 PM

We have more blog posts about using Liturgy of the Hours coming after this one (and more work to do to make it easier to use).

A lot of the limitations on what we can do in this case are imposed on us by the nature of our licensing agreements.

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 6:21 PM

Donald Antenen (Faithlife):

We have more blog posts about using Liturgy of the Hours coming after this one (and more work to do to make it easier to use).

A lot of the limitations on what we can do in this case are imposed on us by the nature of our licensing agreements.

Will you be able to make a page of links similar to the daily missal?

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 327
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 8:26 PM

David Wanat:

I would love that, but I have no timeline for when that will be possible. Part of the issue is licensing, as I mentioned.

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 10:53 PM

David Wanat:

I would love that, but I have no timeline for when that will be possible. Part of the issue is licensing, as I mentioned.

I was hoping that wouldn’t be part of it. But it is what it is 

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2021 12:57 PM

As a follow up, LOTH is available on mobile today

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 243
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2021 6:17 PM

My copy of LotH (surprise) downloaded today.  Clicking on the -Today- link doesn't seem to do anything, and I have absolutely no idea how to navigate within this thing.  Any pointers?

Posts 110
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2021 8:08 PM

I click on "Today" and nothing happens.

I sure hope this is NOT normal because it really makes LOTH valueless to me without this feature.

There were comments about some restrictions because of licensing, I sure hope this isn't one of the restrictions.

[EDIT] The "Today" does work in the mobile app under Android. Just not Windows or in the browser app.

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2021 8:22 PM

David J. Ring, Jr.:

I click on "Today" and nothing happens.

I sure hope this is NOT normal because it really makes LOTH valueless to me without this feature.

There were comments about some restrictions because of licensing, I sure hope this isn't one of the restrictions.

Some problems I found: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/200880/1167078.aspx#1167078

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 110
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2021 9:33 PM

I edited my post to show it works in Android.

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2021 5:46 AM

David J. Ring, Jr.:

I edited my post to show it works in Android.

Apparently not for iPadOS however. Clicking “today” takes me to page 1 of the volumes.

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 327
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2021 1:10 PM

Fr. Devin's blog post should be helpful: https://blog.verbum.com/2021/05/studying-the-faith-with-the-liturgy-of-hours/

One of the things he notes is that Liturgy of the Hours works in the Lectionary layout.

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2021 2:03 PM

Fr. Devin's blog post should be helpful: https://blog.verbum.com/2021/05/studying-the-faith-with-the-liturgy-of-hours/

One of the things he notes is that Liturgy of the Hours works in the Lectionary layout.

Thank you for linking that. I will look into implementing it 🙂

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 243
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2021 5:44 AM

RE: the "Today" button, I find that this morning (5/21/2021), when I click the Today link in LotH, it has no effect.  If i manually enter "May 21" into the location/navigation box within the LotH resource itself, it likewise has no effect.  However, if I enter "Easter Time 7 Fri" into the location/navigation box for LotH, it automatically navigates to Vol 2. > Prop. of Seasons > Easter > Seventh Sunday of Easter > Friday (which is today). 

It seems like the Today button in LotH works correctly on feast days of Saints, and works not so well on regular days like today.  I obtained today's liturgical date ("Easter Time 7 Fri")  from Word of Life: Daily Scripture Companion, which I have in a linkset with the Roman Missal in my Lectionary Reading layout; the Missal navigates to the correct day automatically, then when the linked Word of Life navigates along via the linkset, that liturgical date of "Easter Time 7 Fri" shows up in the location/navigation box, where I can grab it.  Would it be possible for resources like Word of Life and the LotH to be able to do the calendar date (5/21/2021) to liturgical date conversion by themselves?

Posts 5552
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2021 12:04 PM

Brian Losabia:
It seems like the Today button in LotH works correctly on feast days of Saints, and works not so well on regular days like today.  I obtained today's liturgical date ("Easter Time 7 Fri")  from Word of Life: Daily Scripture Companion, which I have in a linkset with the Roman Missal in my Lectionary Reading layout; the Missal navigates to the correct day automatically, then when the linked Word of Life navigates along via the linkset, that liturgical date of "Easter Time 7 Fri" shows up in the location/navigation box, where I can grab it.  Would it be possible for resources like Word of Life and the LotH to be able to do the calendar date (5/21/2021) to liturgical date conversion by themselves?

AFAIK, Verbum/Logos has no built-in tool for converting (any) liturgical dates into calendar dates or vice versa.

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 22 2021 1:50 AM

Brian Losabia:

RE: the "Today" button, I find that this morning (5/21/2021), when I click the Today link in LotH, it has no effect.  If i manually enter "May 21" into the location/navigation box within the LotH resource itself, it likewise has no effect.  However, if I enter "Easter Time 7 Fri" into the location/navigation box for LotH, it automatically navigates to Vol 2. > Prop. of Seasons > Easter > Seventh Sunday of Easter > Friday (which is today). 

Verbum's Liturgical date coverage still needs some work. Today's date (Saturday May 22) doesn't work at all with either the Lectionary or the Liturgy of the Hours, for example.

One of the features that we still need on the Home Page card is for the selection of the date to not actually open the Layout, but to simply give you the options for the Liturgical Date. For example, today's options are (1) Saturday of the Seventh Week of Easter, or (2) St. Rita or (3) Pentecost Vigil. These options have already been identified (quite accurately as best I can see) in the Catholic Daily Readings resource. 

Only after you select which of those options you want should the Liturgical Layout open up, and then it should navigate all liturgical resources to the option you chose, but defaulting to another one of the options for the day in the case that the option you chose does not exist in the resource.

Another functionality that I find would be helpful for the proper working of these resources would be the ability to indicate a Master-Slave relationship in the linksets. In a master-slave linkset, moving around the master option would navigate all the slave resources with it. But moving a slave resource would not affect the master resources. This would allow us to use linksets with all these resources in a fruitful way, I believe. Currently with a master-master relationship, I find it to be better to avoid linksets. 

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 22 2021 7:41 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

Brian Losabia:

Verbum's Liturgical date coverage still needs some work. Today's date (Saturday May 22) doesn't work at all with either the Lectionary or the Liturgy of the Hours, for example.

One of the features that we still need on the Home Page card is for the selection of the date to not actually open the Layout, but to simply give you the options for the Liturgical Date. For example, today's options are (1) Saturday of the Seventh Week of Easter, or (2) St. Rita or (3) Pentecost Vigil. These options have already been identified (quite accurately as best I can see) in the Catholic Daily Readings resource. 

Only after you select which of those options you want should the Liturgical Layout open up, and then it should navigate all liturgical resources to the option you chose, but defaulting to another one of the options for the day in the case that the option you chose does not exist in the resource.

Another functionality that I find would be helpful for the proper working of these resources would be the ability to indicate a Master-Slave relationship in the linksets. In a master-slave linkset, moving around the master option would navigate all the slave resources with it. But moving a slave resource would not affect the master resources. This would allow us to use linksets with all these resources in a fruitful way, I believe. Currently with a master-master relationship, I find it to be better to avoid linksets. 

Agreed, Father

I would like it if they created a card like what they have for lectionary in the mobile app. With that, each day’s readings have a link to the prayers and to the readings of the day. If there are more than one option there are similar links for each option.

I imagine a LOTH option would have links to the psalmody and the readings/prayers for each option for the day. It would be bigger than the lectionary card, but that’s because there would be more hours.

That would solve one of the two major problems. The second problem (linking to our preferred Bible instead of the approved text) is probably a permissions issue.

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS