Ethics and Logos Legacy Software and Working Reinstall of Libronix 3.0(g) Not Possible

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 16
Mike Sutherland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 6:17 AM

Thank you Joseph for your response. There is at least one other user that is running Libronix 3.0g that is running Windows 10 X64. I am running Windows 7 Professional X64. I had no problems with Libronix until my hard drive crashed and I had to replace it. Since I reinstalled Windows 7 Professional X64 and the Libronix software on the new hard drive, Libronix will not do a Bible Search. The Basic Search works just fine. I am reinstalling from the Libronix Series X Disc "A" and am starting to suspect that it is not a full version and cannot be used to do a fresh install. Thank you again.

Posts 1174
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 6:19 AM

Mike Sutherland:
Another issue that I have with the newer versions of Logos is the requirement to be connected to the internet to use the software. There are many times when I cannot connect to the internet and cannot use software that requires internet connections to operate. I live in East Tennessee and we do not have access to internet service providers who offer reasonable data limits. We have limited bandwidth and software programs that use bandwidth must be limited in their use. A question for Logos, what about legacy Logos users and potential users who do not have access to the internet?

We haven't had Logos on the internet in maybe 3 years or so. Logos works fine off-line. As an added bonus, it discourages book-buying for book-buying's sake. We have internet access, but choose cellular only ... travel a lot ... puts the kabosh on a lot of unhealthy web habits.

But agree, Logos wants big downloads for any sizable library. Years back, you could order a DVD from FL of the software and your library. I've not seen that for a while. But Libby (Libronix) also works great. I like the screen/font combo better than Logos.

Posts 16
Mike Sutherland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 6:24 AM

Dave, can Logos Series X Disc "A" be used to do a clean, fresh install of Libronix or is it just an update that could be missing some files that it assumes are already installed?

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 7:54 AM

Dave Hooton:

Mike Sutherland:
When I uninstalled Internet Explorer 11, it rolled me back to Internet Explorer 8 (version 8.0.7601,2400). Will that work? 

It should. I'll post a link for 3.0g zip soon.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!As6zEL3tW7_SjU471kAfHxqxclcd?e=nu4lcH

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 16
Mike Sutherland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 10:16 AM

Dave, I downloaded the file and it will not install. Here is my process: I uninstalled the non working existing copy of Libronix on my computer. Then I tried to reinstall Libronix using the zip file you provided. It generated an error  that stated "You must run Libronix Update before you will be able to use the components included on this disc" . So, I reinstalled Libronix from the Libronix Series X Disc "A". Then I tried to run the setup file from your ZIP file I downloaded. It generated the following error: "Error Code 5, Auto Update script file not found. C:\Windows\System32\Setup\AutoUpdate.lbxupd" . I looked in the specified Setup directory and the specified AutoUpdate.lbxupd filewas missing. So I went to my Logos Series X Disc "A" an copied the AutoUpdate.lbxupd (Dated 01/11/2002, file size 175KB) from it into the specified error directory and reran your setup file. I got the same error. So I went into your zip file and found your AutoUpdate.lbxupd file(Dated 11/09/2009, file size 94KB) and reran the setup file from your ZIP file. It generated the same error. Is there something I am not doing right? Do you have a suggested installation routine for this process? An odd thing that I have noticed is that when I do a clean install from the Libronix software from my disc, it does not ask for an Installation/Activation Code. That does not seem right.

You have gone above and beyond the call of duty in trying to help me and I really appreciate it. You are a blessing.

Posts 5466
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 10:05 PM

John Goodman:

I'm curious, what keeps you using libronix? Is there some features no longer in Logos?

Some of the most useful features ever found in Logos were in Libronix and then deliberately deprecated.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2021 1:40 AM

Mike Sutherland:
I uninstalled the non working existing copy of Libronix on my computer.

That is best done by running PurgeLDLS.bat from C:\Program Files (x86)\Libronix DLS\System

---->  click Yes or OK in the various popup windows.

It will preserve your documents, licenses and resources.

Mike Sutherland:
Then I tried to reinstall Libronix using the zip file you provided. It generated an error

Extract all the files from the zip and then run Setup.exe.

---> I had no problems doing this in Win 10 after running PurgeLDLS.bat

Note that  Resources should be stored in your Users folder rather than Program Files x(86). Use Options > Resource Paths to tell Libronix where they are.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1262
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 29 2021 7:53 AM

David Paul:

John Goodman:

I'm curious, what keeps you using libronix? Is there some features no longer in Logos?

Some of the most useful features ever found in Logos were in Libronix and then deliberately deprecated.

I'd be very interested to know what they are? Thanks

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1174
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 29 2021 8:20 AM

John Goodman:

David will be along shortly, likely with his #1: note-panel size.

I continue to use Libby, but that doesn't mean Logos doesn't also have some great features.

1. Backup-ability. Logos has an obstruse method (that works). Libby is a whole lot simpler and re-memberable after FL's demise. I really don't plan on a long-term FL. That said, Libby is a copyright disaster ... meaning, easily sharable, re-using refunded books, etc. Logos fixed that.

2. Index and collection management. I'll admit, the tools in Libby are not obvious. But Logos dumped them.

3. Nifty horizontal layout list (what I use it for). It stretched across completely, instead of Logos' squished up mess. Let's me happily see my study world.

4. Font/contrast/etc Somehow the IE display engine is an easier read, than the Logos one, especially when Logos tries to hide verse numbers, footnote indicators, etc. Libby plays nicer.

5. No nanny in the background. Once you have Libby, you have Libby. You choose updates, etc. And no one scooping up your notes without permission.

6. Comfortable. I guess a lot like Kindle vs the FL apps. Certainly, the FL apps are far more powerfull. But simple laid-back reading ... that'd be Libby.

7. Bibleworks ... not Libby, but it also has some real nice features. Latest Logos is locked into old Molassas4 (the Logos engine).

Posts 1262
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 29 2021 3:30 PM

I'm interested that you found it visually better. I found that reading on my computer has pushed me towards a 60hz 4k display with eye care features. Also open sans font is a favourite of mine. 

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1174
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 29 2021 5:36 PM

John Goodman:
I'm interested that you found it visually better. I found that reading on my computer has pushed me towards a 60hz 4k display with eye care features. Also open sans font is a favourite of mine. 

I guess to each etc. Much is relative to font-size. I use a small size. But that said, my new Kindle Oasis arrived, that automatically shifts coloration by time of day. We couldn't see Amazon meeting demand much longer (this season).

Posts 1262
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2021 3:38 AM

Have you considered the onyx boox poke? I have the 2 but there is now a 3. Anyway, it runs Logos android app and kindle app very well. 

Posts 16
Mike Sutherland | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2021 6:21 AM

I cannot afford any new hardware at this time and did not have a clue what Onyx Boox Poke was until I looked it up.

Posts 737
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2021 6:40 AM

The original Sermon File Add-in is the tool I miss the most from Libronix.

It allowed me to keep my sermon files as I prepare them and not need to add information to my document to import into Logos. The information was entered into the module, not my personal file.

DMB:

John Goodman:

David will be along shortly, likely with his #1: note-panel size.

I continue to use Libby, but that doesn't mean Logos doesn't also have some great features.

1. Backup-ability. Logos has an obstruse method (that works). Libby is a whole lot simpler and re-memberable after FL's demise. I really don't plan on a long-term FL. That said, Libby is a copyright disaster ... meaning, easily sharable, re-using refunded books, etc. Logos fixed that.

2. Index and collection management. I'll admit, the tools in Libby are not obvious. But Logos dumped them.

3. Nifty horizontal layout list (what I use it for). It stretched across completely, instead of Logos' squished up mess. Let's me happily see my study world.

4. Font/contrast/etc Somehow the IE display engine is an easier read, than the Logos one, especially when Logos tries to hide verse numbers, footnote indicators, etc. Libby plays nicer.

5. No nanny in the background. Once you have Libby, you have Libby. You choose updates, etc. And no one scooping up your notes without permission.

6. Comfortable. I guess a lot like Kindle vs the FL apps. Certainly, the FL apps are far more powerfull. But simple laid-back reading ... that'd be Libby.

7. Bibleworks ... not Libby, but it also has some real nice features. Latest Logos is locked into old Molassas4 (the Logos engine).

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS