I spy Logos 6 Legacy Libraries

Page 5 of 5 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 98 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1153
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 3:08 PM

I've found NAC useful. Like any set, the individual volumes vary in quality.  But overall, I'd describe it as an intermediate commentary. I find it a bit more technical than the typical homiletic commentary, but more helpful in preparing lessons to teach in our local congregation than most critical commentaries. So for me the series hits a sweet spot - but that's just for me, and the things I'm typically doing these days.

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 4:01 PM

Continental Commentary Series: Leviticus

https://www.logos.com/product/9222/continental-commentary-series-leviticus-a-book-of-ritual-and-ethics

This book is in Logos 6 Lutheran Gold. I see that some of you have posted about this commentary set in the past. I have heard good things about Leviticus in particular. I think my interlibrary loan request for it was approved.

In an old post, I think someone said that bestcommentaries.com did not give this set a good review.

Posts 2938
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 9:06 PM

I also have found the NAC surprisingly good and helpful.  It is one of three commentaries I always go to for help.  The other two are the NIC-OT/NT and the WBC, 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 10:17 PM

Mike Childs:

I also have found the NAC surprisingly good and helpful.  It is one of three commentaries I always go to for help.  The other two are the NIC-OT/NT and the WBC, 

Gulp!

I did not even add these to my wishlist. There is no way I will be able to purchase these. LOL. But I like to just know about books, because I never know when I might be able to buy or borrow a single volume. The Father is good at making the impossible possible when I least expect it.

Posts 1917
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 7:56 AM

Jacob Milgrom has studied the Priestly/Holiness material in the Pentateuch more than any scholar I know, writing a magisterial 3 volume commentary on Leviticus for the Anchor-Yale Bible series. In my opinion, agree or disagree with Milgrom on Leviticus, a scholar of Leviticus cannot avoid interacting with him. The above volume is a decent digest of his larger work. This means that it useful for those who want to get an idea of his approach, but to seriously interact with him, you need to go to his other work where he works out the details.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 10:27 AM

Ken McGuire:
Jacob Milgrom has studied the Priestly/Holiness material in the Pentateuch more than any scholar I know, writing a magisterial 3 volume commentary on Leviticus for the Anchor-Yale Bible series. In my opinion, agree or disagree with Milgrom on Leviticus, a scholar of Leviticus cannot avoid interacting with him. The above volume is a decent digest of his larger work. This means that it useful for those who want to get an idea of his approach, but to seriously interact with him, you need to go to his other work where he works out the details.

What do you think of Milgrom on Numbers?

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 10:40 AM

Ken McGuire:

Thank you! This is all new information to me, or maybe I was too overwhelmed at the time to focus on more than the most critical things we were taught. I am curious now to look back through my old course notes and see how much Milgrom was mentioned, if at all. I have no memory of him, but ... that is probably my fault.

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 10:47 AM

SineNomine:

What do you think of Milgrom on Numbers?

I have noticed a trend in OT resources that have been discussed lately showing up in lower SDA packages than Messianic ones.

This book is in SDA Silver and Messianic Gold.

Why? Is there a generalization or some context that would be helpful for me to know.

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 11:04 AM

Kathleen Marie:

It's also in Messianic Silver.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 5047
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 11:34 AM

Kathleen Marie:

Ken McGuire:

Thank you! This is all new information to me, or maybe I was too overwhelmed at the time to focus on more than the most critical things we were taught. I am curious now to look back through my old course notes and see how much Milgrom was mentioned, if at all. I have no memory of him, but ... that is probably my fault.

I also like Milgrom but I dug this post out of the past of it helps you

Mark Barnes:

Friedrich:

Jonathan Ray:
Leviticus (Milgrom)

I have seen a few people recommend this. What makes it good?

It's worth knowing that Milgrom was a Conservative Jewish rabbi, and doesn't interpret the Old Testament christologically, or in the light of the NT.* He's not the only one, of course. Many of the Old Testament critical commentators take a similar stance.

If the purpose of all of Scripture is to point to Jesus Christ, Milgrom (and other exegetes who take a similar stance) miss the main point — however good their exegesis and understanding of cultic background and so on.

I'm not saying that it's therefore not useful at all — I own it, and use it — but it's worth knowing before purchase.

* As a comparison, in Gordon Wenham's NICOT volume on Leviticus, 22% of references to other parts of the Bible are to the NT. In Milgrom's three volumes it's 0.6%.

It is from: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/178621.aspx 

Posts 5047
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 12:07 PM

Mike Childs:

Agreed though the WBC is hit and miss for me. Exodus, Numbers and Samuel have been excellent. As with any commentary set, there are always some better than others but I don’t see how any one could go wrong with these. They are easy to read and just enough technical details to perk up more interest. 

Posts 1917
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 1:16 PM

Mark Barnes:

It's worth knowing that Milgrom was a Conservative Jewish rabbi, and doesn't interpret the Old Testament christologically, or in the light of the NT.* He's not the only one, of course. Many of the Old Testament critical commentators take a similar stance.

If the purpose of all of Scripture is to point to Jesus Christ, Milgrom (and other exegetes who take a similar stance) miss the main point — however good their exegesis and understanding of cultic background and so on.

I'm not saying that it's therefore not useful at all — I own it, and use it — but it's worth knowing before purchase.

* As a comparison, in Gordon Wenham's NICOT volume on Leviticus, 22% of references to other parts of the Bible are to the NT. In Milgrom's three volumes it's 0.6%.

Of course we should be aware that he reads Leviticus by way of his Jewish and Academic background. I probably should have mentioned it. And since that isn't how I read Leviticus, I will have a different perspective. In fact, as a Christian I cannot really remove my Christological glasses since this is how I have access to our Old Testament/their Hebrew Bible. And so, yes, I agree. I need more than what Milgrom offers. But not less.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 1:25 PM

Mattillo:

I also like Milgrom but I dug this post out of the past of it helps you

Mark Barnes:

It's worth knowing that Milgrom was a Conservative Jewish rabbi, and doesn't interpret the Old Testament christologically, or in the light of the NT.* ...

It is from: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/178621.aspx 

Ken McGuire:

I need more than what Milgrom offers. But not less.

Wow, so helpful! Thank you to everyone!

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 1:29 PM

SineNomine:

Kathleen Marie:

It's also in Messianic Silver.

Thanks for pointing that out to me! The packages are arranged by price and the Logos 9 Messianic Silver is more expensive for me than Logos 8 Messianic Gold. That threw me off.

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 12:54 AM

MJ. Smith:

I look at the 16 or so approaches to Bible study covered in Pontifical Biblical Commission. The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church. Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 1993. and try to get commentaries (or monographs) to represent each approach.

Thanks for the tip! I found the book in my library: The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church | Logos Bible Software

Haven't read it yet, but looking at the headings it's a very thorough treatise on all the approaches: Historical-Critical, Rhetorical Analysis, Narrative Analysis, Semiotic Analysis, Canonical Approach, Jewish Traditions, Reception History (Wirkungsgeschichte), Sociological Approach, Cultural Anthropology Approach, Psychological and Psychoanalytical Approaches, Liberationist Approach, Feminist Approach and Fundamentalist Interpretation.

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 2:16 AM

I consider it a hidden gem useful to a broad swath of denominations. As a Lutheran you will likely find it to be very familar; there are groups for which that is not true. You might find the commentary on the document of interest as well Williamson, Peter. Catholic Principles for Interpreting Scripture: A Study of the Pontifical Biblical Commission’s The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church. Vol. 22. Subsidia Biblica. Roma: Pontificio Istituto Biblico, 2001.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 2:22 AM

MJ. Smith:

Williamson, Peter. Catholic Principles for Interpreting Scripture: A Study of the Pontifical Biblical Commission’s The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church. Vol. 22. Subsidia Biblica. Roma: Pontificio Istituto Biblico, 2001.

Party!!! Big Smile Your recommendations come very cheap. I own that, too! (One of the downsizes of owning a relatively big library: you don't know what's in it!) Smile

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 2:43 AM

Mark Barnes?:
If the purpose of all of Scripture is to point to Jesus Christ, Milgrom (and other exegetes who take a similar stance) miss the main point

I would hold that one step in understanding what Scripture means is to understand, to the degree possible, what it meant to the original audience. Understanding what it means when viewed through the cross (Alexander Schmemann's terminology) is a separate step.For that reason, I hold that Old Testament commentaries written by Jewish authors are invaluable in helping us make a distinction between the two steps.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 8:50 AM

Thank you MJ for the original suggestion and further information, and thank you Olli for the link. I should have followed up harder on the original tip, but SO much was posted the past couple days that I took some shortcuts.

The book is only $3.99. I put it in my wishlist.

Page 5 of 5 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS