Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 4
Leslie Walper | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 28 2021 10:10 AM

I was having some operating system issues and decided to reset my Win10 OS. In the process I also switched to a new SSD drive. I have installed W/S 10 but have no access to the book libraries I was using on the old drive. Is there any way to retrieve the book libraries from the old hard drive? I can still read the data on the old drive, that's no problem, but where are the library repositories located on the drive and can they be retrieved/reinstalled on my new drive?

Posts 4
Leslie Walper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 29 2021 2:11 PM

So, I have located the book repositories and have reinstalled/indexed, and whatever W/S wants to do with the files, but the program wants to be "registered" and I suppose, that may be a problem since there is no longer any access to the online W/S user database. It's no doubt just a setting in the windows registry -- changing a 0 to a 1 someplace. Can anyone help me with this?

Posts 96
John Simpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 7:57 PM

I looked at my files, and it may be this. I had one Windows profile with WORDsearch logged in, and one without. The ActiveUserID was blank on the one not logged in.

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Wordsearch 12\Wordsearch 12.ini

ActiveUserID= Needs 5 digit number

Posts 96
John Simpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 9:51 AM

It looks like the data associated with the ActiveUserID is stored in

C:\ProgramData\WORDsearch\Global Data\LocalLogins.db3

Posts 1
Allen Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2021 11:55 AM

Reinstalling Wordsearch to another PC.

If anyone needs help reinstalling Wordsearch on another PC...I fumbled my way through it but have figured out a way to do it. Doing this there's no need to log in with the software as it's no longer supported so maybe this will help.

I have Wordsearch on my laptop and have switched to another laptop. I have Logos installed on the new laptop but Logos feels so clunky to me. So, I had the Wordsearch install file in my download folder. I installed it but then the challenge became it couldn't register Wordsearch  as it is no longer supported. But neither were my books installed. So I did a little reading online and came across something that got me to think about where the library of books are installed within the Wordsearch folders. There's a few Wordsearch folders in different locations on the "C" drive. I finally found the library folder and copied the content of that folder from my original pc to the destination pc. The library is installed in a a hidden folder. 

Go to the "C" drive and  click the view tab at the top to make all hidden folders viewable. There will be a folder called "Program Data." In the program data folder there is a Wordsearch folder. In this folder there's two folders you'll need to copy the contents of and paste them into the destinations pc. I had to copy contents of the folders called "Global Data" and "Library." Once inside each of these folders I copied all the files within those folders to the same folders in the destination pc.

Once I did that I could see the books in my library but didn't have the permissions needed to see and use these books. In Wordsearch there's a tab called "Tools" and that brings up a window that says "Manage Library" and "My Library List." At first, I only copied the contents in the "Library" folder and my books were there but they were still locked and I couldn't use them. So, I thought well, what it I copy the contents of  the "Global Data" folder and see what happens. Then I restated my Wordsearch program after that and voila....my books were all there and I could open them.

Hope this doesn't sound too complicated but I'll try to give a description of what I did. I hope it will work for you as it did for me.

The location of the Program Data folder is C: > Program Data > Wordsearch > then you'll find the Global Data and Library folders. Once inside the folder you can click on one of them and hit the <ctrl> key and the the letter "A" key at the same time and it will highlight all the files. Right click to copy those files onto a thumb drive or and external drive to paste them into the same folder destination on the new pc.

This may sound confusing as I'm trying to type fast and finish my lunch break at work. Hope this a help.

Allen

Posts 4
Leslie Walper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2021 5:50 PM

OK!! John. Thanks!!! That did it. Purrrfect.

Posts 4
Leslie Walper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2021 5:53 PM

OK, thanks John—that's just the ticket. I copied that whole folder over to the new drive and everything works. Purrrfect.

Posts 36
Charlie Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2022 9:20 AM

WORDsearch Bible Software Users Group sharing info on re-installing WS on a new computer without any help from Logos. 

Posts 36
Charlie Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2022 9:22 AM

I also stumbled my way basically doing what you say here... it works.. share your thoughts on the FB group if you like..WORDsearch Bible Software Users Group

Posts 36
Charlie Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2022 9:23 AM

WORDsearch Bible Software Users Group .... yes it does... sharing WS tips and ideas for those wanting to keep WS going...

Posts 2
Bobbie Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2022 6:20 AM

I am in the process of buying an Apple laptop. Presently I have an Hp with Widows 11. Would this method work on Apple's operating system?

Posts 19593
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2022 8:09 AM

Bobbie Harris:

I am in the process of buying an Apple laptop. Presently I have an Hp with Widows 11. Would this method work on Apple's operating system?

Welcome Big Smile

Out of the box = No because Apple's operating system is an open source BSD variant (Darwin), which does not have a C: drive.

Options on macOS are:

• Running a Windows virtual machine: e.g. Parallels, Virtual Box, VMware
  • Configuring WINE on macOS
  • Using remote desktop on macOS to use Wordsearch on a Windows computer

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2641
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2022 8:40 AM

Greeting,

In addition to the advise above, if you are purchasing a Laptop with an M1 chip, which is highly recommended so your Mac is not obsolete out of the box, then I know of no way to install WS on the Mac unless you can find an emulator that works with a non-intel chip.

Posts 2
Bobbie Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2022 3:52 AM

Thanks,

I will be buying a laptop with the M1 chip. How do I install Wordsearch from my windows 11 OS?   Bobbie

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2022 6:25 AM

Bobbie Harris:

Thanks,

I will be buying a laptop with the M1 chip. How do I install Wordsearch from my windows 11 OS?   Bobbie

Keep smiling, I think, has answered your question.

Installing logos via an emulator is illogical. Emulators are notoriously processor and memory hogs and will eat up resources. Wordsearch really has no future and even if you go to all the trouble of getting it to work you will find yourself back to square one relatively soon.

In my opinion, unless you are a person of absolute leisure and little purpose, your time would be better spent getting to grips with Logos. That course of action would likely be easier on your pocket as well.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS