So Many Books

Page 2 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 460
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 5:51 AM

Like many of you who have posted in this thread, I continue to buy Logos books that I will probably never read. I buy them discounted or part of packages and justify the purchases in two ways: 1) It broadens my resource base for searches and 2) someday my Logos library can be willed or donated to a young pastor or seminary student who may actually use what I have neglected.

-john

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 8:12 AM

Kathleen Marie:

One of the things I am most worried about is that I will buy a different edition of a book/series that I already have, that isn't different enough to warrant owning both editions.

Yes, I have also run into this issue and accidentally repurchased books I already had. In addition, sometimes, Logos has resources that contain two books in one resource. However, I have them already individually.

Posts 926
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 12:39 PM

Armin:
Yes, I have also run into this issue and accidentally repurchased books I already had. In addition, sometimes, Logos has resources that contain two books in one resource. However, I have them already individually.

My problem is different. I sometimes purchase a book and then a later revision comes on board and I wish I had waited for it. Grasping God's Word is in the 4th edition. Or sometimes I have taken a course and the links in the course refer to an older edition than the edition that I have in my library.

Posts 201
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 2:47 PM

Somewhat different than the other responses you have received, if you type "FSD" into the go box, it will give you the option "Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery" which opens an ostensibly random book to a random place. You can also do things like "Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery in Dictionaries," or any collection you have.

Posts 161
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 2:57 PM

Justin Gatlin:
Somewhat different than the other responses you have received, if you type "FSD" into the go box, it will give you the option "Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery" which opens an ostensibly random book to a random place. You can also do things like "Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery in Dictionaries," or any collection you have.

I can't seem to duplicate this. If I put FSD in the GO box I get a Factbook result for the river Sud. This happens with or without the quotation marks.

Posts 3031
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 2:59 PM

Ted Harms:
I can't seem to duplicate this. If I put FSD in the GO box I get a Factbook result for the river Sud. This happens with or without the quotation marks.

You have to wait for the list of suggestions to pop up instead of just hitting enter. Your suggestions are likely in a different order than Justin's.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 35556
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 3:00 PM

Green not Red

Err 1

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 7:07 PM

Darrell Tan:

My primitive way to search for other topics is to search a keyword in the library. Am learning from the replies of other more seasoned users.

I recently upgraded, and when I ran the same searches, I got LESS results not more. And what I did get was way down the list after a bunch of empty categories. Something about the new upgrades I purchased for logos, or maybe the update for Windows overwhelmed the toy of a desktop PC that I have hooked up to my large monitors. My searches are sluggish and sometimes I cannot even type at full speed. Not only did I resort to keyword searches in Logos, I closed Logos and started keyword searches on Google.

I am deeper in debt and less efficient than I was.

I have been watching some old videos for earlier versions of Logos and I am finding some of those more helpful than new ones.

I am just finishing up a paper, and today is not the time to be studying how to use Logos. After I finish this paper, it is back to more training. Throwing money at Logos is not turning out to be the most efficient way to finish these papers.

It is the New Year. A time for fresh starts and austerity. I need to stop buying anything period, but especially random collections that look like the best buy for the least money. I need to pay down this debt, and take inventory of my whole life, not just my Logos Library or even all my digital libraries. The year is a cycle. I guess I am on track, mostly. No matter what, it is what it is, and I have what I have. It is time to embrace all thing January, and start fresh, including my hot mess of a library in Logos.

Posts 1516
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 7:21 PM

Kathleen Marie:
I am deeper in debt and less efficient than I was.

Kathleen Marie:
No matter what, it is what it is, and I have what I have. It is time to embrace all thing January, and start fresh, including my hot mess of a library in Logos.

There's always the 30-day refund policy if you upgraded recently.

Posts 125
Darrell Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 12:37 AM

Kathleen Marie:

My searches are sluggish and sometimes I cannot even type at full speed. Not only did I resort to keyword searches in Logos, I closed Logos and started keyword searches on Google.

I had the same experience with previous computers. On this current computer (which is about 10 years old), I changed the hard disk to an SSD, and finally Logos is usable. The difference was night and day. Previously, I would use the mobile app much more than the desktop program.

Kathleen Marie:

...today is not the time to be studying how to use Logos.

Yes, I too have not come to the point of spending time really digging into how it works/can work. But sometimes a quick online search can throw up a useful tip or two. For example, I once found and successfully followed instructions for creating a reading plan, which was what I needed just then.

Kathleen Marie:

I need to stop buying anything period, but especially random collections that look like the best buy for the least money. I need to pay down this debt, and take inventory of my whole life, not just my Logos Library or even all my digital libraries.

I wish you good progress! Like you, budget is limited for me, and I ask myself if I have a specific NEED for a resource or collection, otherwise I will refrain from purchasing, even if it's only $0.99...

Posts 12
Klaus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 12:50 AM

I use Favorites to manage my just about 22k books. The Favorite Folders are my book "rooms" with the main categories

• * Bibles Linguae Sacrae
  • * Bible Commentaries
  • Languages -- Dictionaries & Grammars
  • Ancient Near East
  • Hellenistic and Roman Western Culture
  • Judaism
  • Jesus Christ & Christianity
  •  __Bibles, Apocrypha & Pseudoepigraphia
  • __Christian Denominations -- Their History & Theology
  • ___33+ Apostolic Church -- Apostolic Fathers
  • ___120+ Persecuted Church -- (Antenicene) Church
  • ___312+ Orthodox -- (Postnicene Church)
  • ___500+ Catholic Church
  • ___1517+ Reformation Churches
  • ___1739+ Revival Churches
  • ___1900+ Pentecostal & Messianic Churches etc.
  • __Academic Theology
  • ___Biblical Theology
  • ___Exegesis
  • ___Systematic Theology
  • ___Practical Theology
  • Western Knowledge & Christian Worldview
  • Eastern Religions & Interreligious Dialog
  • Audio Books & Video Lectures

There in the books rooms I place theSubfolders (=Bookshelves) for each main category. For example the shelves for Judaism are:

• Dictionaries Handbooks, Atlases, Journals
  • Ancient Hostory of Palestine
  • Archeology
  • Ancient Culture & Socieal Traditions
  • Second Temple Period
  • First Centuries & Impact of Hellenisation on Jewish Culture
  • Josephus
  • Philo
  • Qumran
  • Targumim and Translations
  • Jewish Tanakh Commentaries
  • Midrashim
  • Mishna, Talmud, Haggada
  • Medieval Rabinic Theology
  • Hasidic Tales & Later Literature
  • Jewish Mysticism
  • Jewish Life and Thought until Modern Times

There may be subshelves in the shelves or not. Here I place every book after I have bought it.

In this way I have perfect control over all my books and can use this system to access each book according to my actual reasearch theme and easily find books, even if I have not the exact title or author  in my mind. I quickly find it  just in the thematic order. Time by time I go through all my bookshelves = Favorites and check if there are some titles misplaced in a wrong category or fine tune by creating better fitting subfolders.

Favorites are a perfect way to manage book titles. So I have a subfolder "Migne:Patrologia Greaca Cursus Completus. There I place in order

• Patrologia Graeca Tomus I: Introduction an Commentary
  • Patrologia Graeca, Tomus I: Greek Text - 1. & 2. Clemens, Didache
  • Patrologia Graeca, Tomus I: Latin Text
  • Patrologia Graeca, Tomus II: Introduction and Commentary
  • Patrologia Graeca, Tomus II: Greek Text - Hermes, Clemens etc.
  • Patrologia Graeca, Tomus XVIII: Introduction and Commentary
  • Patrologia Graeca, Tomus XVIII: Greek Text - Methodius etc Syr.
  • Patrologia Graeca, Tomus XVIII: Latin Text

In this way i can access the correct volume of the Churchfathers I like to read in Greek or Latin with the textual commentary because the title is not sufficient for this. Here is only the volume given (eg. Tomus XIV)  but not the respective Churchfathers which the volume includes (eg. Origenes Philokalia).

There is actual no possibility to search in the Favorites, but I hope sometimes this features will be added. Sometimes I'm not sure in which category=Subfolder I placed a title I'm looking for. Then I have to go through the Favorites to find it. This has the good side effect that in this way I scroll through a part of my library and get aware which books I have and may detect some interesting books this way which I had not in mind.

Logos is an amazing bible program. My sincere appreciation and thanks to all the developers and to Bob Pritchard the genius who brought Logos to life. This opens up a totally new way of reading the bible and access this huge ammount of Christian scientific and edificational literature  marvelous tagged to access directly from the commentary and article the the there referenced books with one mouse move.

PS

... and I forgot to mention one specific advantage of managing the library in Favorites: You can also include into you library epub-Files, pdf-files and htm-files simply by drag and drop them from the filemanager into the Favorites folder. That ist very practical. In this way I can directly access not only my logos-files but all other books and include them in the right book-shelve, so to find all available books with one thematic aspect and open them there with one mouse click.

Posts 295
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 4:38 AM

Klaus:
The Favorite Folders are my book "rooms" with the main categories

I want to remove a folder from Favorites.  Permanently remove it.

I want to remove an item from within another folder.

Logos Help is no help in it's Fav. info.

Can someone please tell me how to do the above?

I run Logos 8 on a Mac.

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 4:44 AM

In Logos 9, I can right-click a folder or item and then select "delete".

Posts 295
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 5:00 AM

Armin:

Sorry, this doesn't work.

For both folder + item:

I double click

I see light blue ''highlighting''

I press keyboard Delete

Folder or is removed

BUT...folder immediately comes back when I go to another folder

Posts 161
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 7:23 AM

Andrew Batishko:
You have to wait for the list of suggestions to pop up instead of just hitting enter. Your suggestions are likely in a different order than Justin's.

Thanks Andrew and MJ. So interesting to see the results. I just didn't wait long enough for the suggestions to appear. Thanks to you who are so knowledgeable.

Posts 999
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 8:08 AM

Klaus:

I use Favorites to manage my just about 22k books. The Favorite Folders are my book "rooms" with the main categories

Klaus  --- Great Idea!  Thanks for posting it.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 8:17 AM

scooter:

Armin:

For both folder + item:

I double click

I press keyboard Delete

Folder or is removed

Have you thought of upgrading to Logos 9?

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 8:21 AM

Klaus:

I use Favorites to manage my just about 22k books. 

I can believe that this is a great help once setup. But I don't have the time to sort all my books.

Essentially, I see my library as a big database, and use Logos to find relevant information, either using Guides or searches. 

Posts 12
Klaus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 10:54 AM

There are two essential advantages of this method:

You have to take a close look to each book you have bought to put it in the right shelve and get thus aquainted with your library

and you don't buy too much at once, for you know some work is to be done to Integrale the books in your library that keeps you on pace: you swallow only as many books as you can "digest" in acertain time. Wink

Posts 295
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 11:40 AM

Armin:

scooter:

Armin:

For both folder + item:

I double click

I press keyboard Delete

Folder or is removed

Have you thought of upgrading to Logos 9?

Yeah, ever so slowly, you know.

Page 2 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS