Disappointment with Logos 4

Page 2 of 5 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 92 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:42 AM

David Paul:
Not having that immediate pop-up is unthinkable to me at this point.

Clearly if there's one feature that is vital to you that Logos 4 doesn't have, and you can't work around, then L3 will be much better for you. That said, in this case I wonder whether a workaround will still give you 90% of what you need for presentations, plus all the other extras of L4.

How about this?

1. Click on a note to get it to open.
  2. Once your note is open, you could make it into a floating window (right click on it's tab to do this). Re-size it to suit.
  3. Then just click back into Logos. Your floating window will go to the background.
  4. Next time you click on a note, the floating window will come back to the foreground.

Not perfect, perhaps, but the new features of L4 may well make it worthwhile to put up with.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:45 AM

Mark Barnes:

• Click on a note to get it to open.
  • Once your note is open, you could make it into a floating window (right click on it's tab to do this). Re-size it to suit.
  • Then just click back into Logos. Your floating window will go to the background.
  • Next time you click on a note, the floating window will come back to the foreground.
  • not a bad thought as well. Plus your method would also make hyperlinks available in the notes. I'll have to tuck that one away for when I might need it.

Posts 13423
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:45 AM

Charles Stoker:
    Many disappointments.  Slower.  Confusing.  Layout a mess.  Too much info at one time.  Not easy to personalize.  Tutorials less than basic.  Change is not always good.  I'll be going back to Logos  3 -poorer.

Charles,

Sorry to see your disappointment. It seems to me that your main problem is that you're finding Logos difficult ('confusing… not easy… less than basic'). That being the case, you'll find it much more productive to ask a question: "I'm trying to do xxxx in Logos, but I'm finding it really slow/confusing/etc. because of yyy). That way we can help, and you can get what you need.

Posts 3317
    Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 3:35 AM

David,

I would agree losing the 'po-up' window for our notes was disappionting- I also miss it greatly.

Maybe its time for Logos to reconsider this function- i'll support it.

Posts 1603
    PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 4:41 AM

Mark Barnes:

• Once your note is open, you could make it into a floating window (right click on it's tab to do this). Re-size it to suit.
  • Then just click back into Logos. Your floating window will go to the background.
  • Next time you click on a note, the floating window will come back to the foreground.
  • When I follow these steps, I was able to make the notes entry window as big as I want.

Peter

Posts 291
    Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 5:00 AM

Charles Stoker:

Many disappointments.  Slower.  Confusing.  Layout a mess.  Too much info at one time.  Not easy to personalize.  Tutorials less than basic.  Change is not always good.  I'll be going back to Logos  3 -poorer.

I upgraded to Logos 4 about a month after it was initially released and installed it on my home and  work office desktops. My experience was also one of frustration, confusion  and disappointment and I quit using the software completely. But I upgraded both systems this past summer to better motherboards, faster CPUs and more memory. I began to use Logos 4 again and the performance improvement was amazing. With that frustration gone, I took the time to work on the learning curve and I now rarely open Logos 3. I still have a lot to learn (and these forums are an excellent resurce) but I am very pleased with Logos 4 overall.

My whole point is that if your hardware is very limited, that adds to the frustration exponentially. Major upgrades to the hardware is not always a viable solution for everyone, but sometimes it's the only way to lower the frustration level to a point that one can truly begin to learn Logos 4. That said, Logos 4 does have a steep learning curve and I have had to relearn the bulk of what I do with the software so I can truly understand your disappointment.

Posts 5434
    David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:21 PM

Peter Li:

Mark Barnes:

• When I follow these steps, I was able to make the notes entry window as big as I want.

The "disappointments" with L4 just compound to the point of frustration and then bloom into irritation. The "notes entry window" in L4 is a disaster in my book. It is just one huge, continuous pile of random notes. L4 does register my L3 notes, but it doesn't "file" them in the same way L3 does. I have multiple note files in L3, but they are all piled into a single "General Notes" file in L4. The notes entry window is also about as presentation friendly as a pile of mud. The notes entry window(s) in L4 is/are not designed with separate windows as they are in L3, so there is no hope of presenting material in a clean, crisp manner.

I have more issues, but won't go into them unless asked. I just don't see L4 ever becoming my choice over L3. I would rather see L3 given some of the abilities that L4 has...but I certainly won't hold my breath for that. Ick!

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 3810
    spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:42 PM

David Paul:
    I have more issues, but won't go into them unless asked. I just don't see L4 ever becoming my choice over L3. I would rather see L3 given some of the abilities that L4 has...but I certainly won't hold my breath for that. Ick!

I'm afraid L3 will be usable for some time, but what L3 was, L3 will continue to be.

Posts 411
    Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:31 PM

David sorry to hear about your frustrations. I know how hard it is to use something when you are frustrated with it. I was involved in the initial beta program for L4 and my first look shocked me. frankly I was at the point of what have you guys done?!

But being on the beta program and listening to others and taking the time to learn, plus the responsiveness of Logos helped me work through my perception to find it very usable. Not everyone feels that way and there are things Logos continues to improve upon.

As for notes, it would be nice if the files were a little more structured by like items as it was in L3, but the ability to specify I want a certain type of file helps. I would like to see it not require that aspect but  it is how it is for now.

I have L3 on my system but rarely ever open it up anymore.

I hope you will continue to update your L4 and try to work with it and ask questions here. There are a great group of resources here that I would go to that have good idea or suggestions. Look for the MVPs and some of those that have been around for awhile.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 83
    Gabe Orea | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 11:11 PM

Hey Charles,

Due to unexpected illness I am not using Logos often. However I find it very useful and wish I could have more time/energy to use it for sermon preparation and academic research. I really think it is a good product. But, of course, I respect your opinion.

Cheers!

Gabe.

Posts 34363
    Forum MVP
    MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 12:39 AM

David Paul:
    I have multiple note files in L3, but they are all piled into a single "General Notes" file in L4.

This was not my experience and as we've had posters asking how to merge the L3 notes into fewer files I doubt this has changed. If this happened to you you should try reimporting your notes or contact customer service.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2913
    David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 5:42 AM

Shawn Drewett:

But how long will L3 be there for us?

Until Windows drops support for programs that are of the type that L3 is and L3 needs to be re compiled to run on 128 [or 256] bit windows and LOGOS CO. does not offer new executables.  [Best guess is when the second replacement for the computer you bought this morning dies kiss L3 goodbye]

Posts 291
    Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 5:11 AM

David Paul:
    The notes entry window(s) in L4 is/are not designed with separate windows as they are in L3, so there is no hope of presenting material in a clean, crisp manner.

Hi David,

Maybe I don't fully understand your complaint. I cannot speak from experience concerning importing notes from L3 but I guess I am not seeing what you are saying here. I have several different note files that I have created in L4, each with a different title. When I open them they are in seperate windows lined up one the left half of my screen in the same manner as when I created them. If I want to create a new note file I go to the File drop down menu and select Notes under the New heading. For example I have a notes file entitled "Daily Study" , "Greek Workbook Study", "Study on Lamentations", "Discipleship Journal Notes" etc. I have saved several snapshots of layouts pertaining to each individual study with the proper resources and notes file opened and arranged on my screen (Bibles, or other appropriate resources  on the right, commentaries, dictionaries and notes on the left).  I have found that I rarely have need to access notes for one particular study from another but if I do it is simply a matter of opening the needed note file and it lines up on the left side with other study resources. It is simply a matter of clicking on the tab at the top to select the resource or note file I need to peruse. Granted it takes a little work to create new notes files for different studies but once created they are accessible in different windows and I can organize each one in any order I desire. By updating my layout I can save any changes to the desired resources for a particular study.

I too felt the same way about L3 vs L4 until about a month ago when an upgrade to my office computer trashed L3. Even a complete reinstall (twice) and hours on the phone with level 2 tech support counldn't resolve the issue. So I was forced to default to L4. In so doing I have even stopped using L3 on my home computer.

Kindest regards,

Bob

Posts 4
    Tim Hedstrom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 4:08 PM

I too am quite disappointed and continue to use L3 for my studies. I have been trying to use L4 and I appreciate the "Clippings" feature but there are many issues that prevent me from switching to L4 as my primary study tool. Namely, where are my Notes and Sermons? I have tried the "Import Notes" command but no luck. Can anyone help?

Posts 4508
    Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 4:18 PM

Tim,

I didn't have any notes to import from L3 but this might help you...

http://wiki.logos.com/Importing_Notes_from_LDLS3

This also might be good to go over...

http://wiki.logos.com/Importing_from_LDLS3

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 4
    Tim Hedstrom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 10:59 AM

Thank you for the assistance, but this did not work. Could it be that the import tool expects the LDL3 files to be in the default directory in My Documents? My files are stored elsewhere for various reasons. I had presumed that L4 would read my L3 configuration and retrieve the files appropriately.

Posts 2964
    tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:01 AM

Tim Hedstrom:

Thank you for the assistance, but this did not work. Could it be that the import tool expects the LDL3 files to be in the default directory in My Documents? My files are stored elsewhere for various reasons. I had presumed that L4 would read my L3 configuration and retrieve the files appropriately.

As far as I know, L4 doesn't read the config file for L3.  You will need to move the file to where L4 thinks they should be.

Anonymous | | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:38 PM

Mark A. Smith:

David Paul:
    and the pitiful three inch window in L4 is the dagger in the heart of that aspiration.

Not to argue but to observe: this is the first time I was aware that this was anything much of a limitation. I can't say you are in a unique situation, but that might be close to the case. You must be projecting your Logos screen and want to show your notes in a large enough 'window' to more fully encompass them?

I wish I got note windows that big. Even two line notes display in a window big enough for only one line.  As much as I love logos, I have to admit I consider the L4 user interface largely a debacle. Largely because of the horrifically poor performance although there are numerous scrolling bugs that have never been addressed.  I've been using Logos since L2 and am firmly into 5 digits in buying so I'm no mere disgruntled user. But a while back, when I booted an old computer (333 MHz) that still had L2 on it, using that ancient version was like a breath of fresh air. I know Bob has a feature first optimize later philosophy. But I don't care about getting even one more new feature until the ones we have already are fast enough to be usable.

Posts 2913
    David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:03 PM

Charles Stoker:

Many disappointments.    Too much info at one time. 

It takes time to work though them but seeing 300 different ideas on one verse gets me past what I was taught and forces me to think about who might be correct.

[most of the time I end up where I started but I had to think]

Posts 4
    Tim Hedstrom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 8:50 AM

Correct. I copied and imported. I expect better....

Page 2 of 5 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS