Vatican II Documents on Pre-pub!

Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 58 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 300
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 3:29 PM

Wow.  24 hours and over half way to production.

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 3:44 PM

An here is another reason why Logos should add the CCC (Catechism of the Catholic Church). quote from paragraph 838:

"The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter." Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church." With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."

As you can see the Church teaches that everyone professing the title Christian and have been baptized ARE in communion with her. This is why when a brother Protestant decides to "convert" they do not need to be re-baptized.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of BAltimore

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 3:53 PM

WD40:

I'm not going to offend any Catholic’s either, no more that Paul would have anyhow. True, real charity is about truth and grace. Check out Galatians.

So why not tap into Mormon, Jehovah Witness or for that matter Voodoo.

I’m disappointed when my home page show up so much stuff from Roman Catholic falsehoods.

Every time I see a post like this, there are so many things that come to my mind. But then I member the words of Jesus in Mathew 5:11-12

I thank you for that Brother WD40.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 4:04 PM

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:
True, my only concern was to indicate that even Protestants are members of the "one holy catholic [AND APOSTOLIC] church."  Regardless of our affiliations we are one body.

I know. And it's such a heavy burden. You understand - you have your interlinears, I have my non-Latin Catholics AND broader canons.Wink

Now, THAT, MJ. is truly marvelous humour!   Thank you!           *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 237
Rick Ratzlaff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 7:07 PM

I really don't want to offend any of those who walk through the doors of a Roman Catgholic building without knowing what the truth is. They need the Saviour in "grace and truth" through Christ alone, through grace alone, by faith alone. However I have no problem pointing out to those who continue to lead astray those under their care that Christ paid for them "with His own precious blood". However there is huge eternal consequences for not recognizing what Pauls says in......

Galatians 1:6–10 (ESV) I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. 10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Matthew 7:14 (ESV) 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Luke 13:24 (ESV) 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

Luke 12:51–53 (ESV) 51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52 For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Truth divides always has and always will. And my goal in life is to labor over truth, search for it like a prescious treasure, which exposes 1/2 truths and lies. And I just think there is much better things to spend R&D $ on, than publishing anything false. I think I can even find Biblical instructions to that end.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 7:18 PM

WD40, this discussion is going far abroad of the Forum Guidelines  Please read them and abide by them.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 33796
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 7:33 PM

WD40:
I really don't want to offend any of those who walk through the doors of a Roman Catgholic building without knowing what the truth is.

As Catholics we are willing to let anyone walk through our doors - those who know the Truth and those who don't. . You say:

WD40:
And my goal in life is to labor over truth, search for it like a prescious treasure, which exposes 1/2 truths and lies.

This is an excellent goal that many of us share. However, it is not achieved by violation of forum guidelines - it is achieved by serious study, prayer and conversation in appropriate forums / circumstances.

WD40:
Truth divides always has and always will.

This is not my experience. Falsehoods masquerading as truth, verbal misunderstanding and culture divide. Truth is a unifying force.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1152
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 7:36 PM

Robert Pavich:

Not to mention the Standard works of the LDS church too...but I'm pretty sure that there is a licensing/ownership/permission issue there....

These are public domain as they were originally published in the 1800's. However some changes have been made to them and when I was dialoging with a Mormon he told me to use their most recent version (which is available on their website). I told him that I would rather read what was published during Joseph Smith's lifetime because if he approved it then it must reflect the "revelation" he received.

Posts 114
James Matichuk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 8:47 PM

I think in my living room, I would have already resorted to name calling at this point Devil

Posts 114
James Matichuk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 8:50 PM

And I have mine on order, looking forward to it. Important contributions to Christian (not just Catholic) theology and so far the only place where Logos has given us the work of the great 20th Century Catholic theologians like Congar, de Lubac, Rahner, Ratzinger, etc. I hope for more.

Posts 759
Tobias Lampert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:39 PM

WD40:

I really don't want to offend any of those who walk through the doors of a Roman Catgholic building without knowing what the truth is. They need the Saviour in "grace and truth" through Christ alone, through grace alone, by faith alone. However I have no problem pointing out to those who continue to lead astray those under their care that Christ paid for them "with His own precious blood". However there is huge eternal consequences for not recognizing what Pauls says in......

Galatians 1:6–10 (ESV) I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. 10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Matthew 7:14 (ESV) 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Luke 13:24 (ESV) 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

Luke 12:51–53 (ESV) 51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52 For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Truth divides always has and always will. And my goal in life is to labor over truth, search for it like a prescious treasure, which exposes 1/2 truths and lies. And I just think there is much better things to spend R&D $ on, than publishing anything false. I think I can even find Biblical instructions to that end.

You do not only show no respect to the forum guidelines - it seems that you could really use more (Roman) Catholic resources in Logos, since your postings reveal both a serious lack in understanding (Roman) Catholic theology and a lack in seriously desiring to understand (Roman) Catholic theology. Besides that, your attitude's overbearing and full of Biblicism that has never been intended by any of the Protestant Reformers. And I do not say this as a (Roman) Catholic but as an evangelical Lutheran with Wesleyan background. :)

No one's forcing you to simply accept something you cannot approve to, no one's even forcing you to deal with (Roman) Catholic theology at all - it's just that I and a lot of others don't want you to dictate what resources should or shouldn't be in Logos. There are people out there who first want a chance studying and getting to know something before considering whether to condemn it or not.

If you don't want (Roman) Catholic resources in Logos, don't buy them. It's as simple as that. So, can we please stop this here and now?

"Mach's wie Gott - werde Mensch!" | theolobias.de

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:53 PM

James Matichuk:

I think in my living room, I would have already resorted to name calling at this point Devil

Big Smile                        Big Smile                  Big Smile  

The wording of that forum guideline got me in to a bit of trouble because in my living room there is much debate, satire, criticism and verbal sparring. I had to tighten up my personal application of that rule by telling myself to control my speech as if I was in somebody else's living room.  After all, I do not visit a prospect's home and attack him verbally for disagreeing with my views. I just go back to my home and say it out of his earshot. Devil

My order is placed.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 759
Tobias Lampert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:57 PM

Matthew C Jones:

James Matichuk:

Big Smile                        Big Smile                  Big Smile  

The wording of that forum guideline got me in to a bit of trouble because in my living room there is much debate, satire, criticism and verbal sparring. I had to tighten up my personal application of that rule by telling myself to control my speech as if I was in somebody else's living room.  After all, I do not visit a prospect's home and attack him verbally for disagreeing with my views. I just go back to my home and say it out of his earshot. Devil

My order is placed.

Yes

"Mach's wie Gott - werde Mensch!" | theolobias.de

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 3:43 AM

Tom Reynolds:
These are public domain as they were originally published in the 1800's.

Yes...and the LDS website is pretty good at searching but not at all like Logos capability....which is what i'm looking for obviously! Surprise

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 3:47 AM

If I might address WD40 for a second....

I too, struggled with adding certain things to Logo's product line....it took a lot of thought and some forum members politely pointed out that Logos is a research tool...they cannot be in the business of limiting resources based on who's defining orthodox or not.....

The more I thought about it....the more I realized....that my agreement or disagreement with a certain resource isn't the arbiter of the "Logos Canon" if I might steal a theological term...

I welcome all types of resources....I'm not obligated to buy any i don't like.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 4:31 AM

As a Protestant minister who was raised as a Catholic I am very pleased to see this resource soon to be available for Logos. I was an active Catholic during the years of Vatican II (*** to early teen) so it will be very educational and perhaps somewhat nostalgic for a time when I didn't question so much..

Thank you Logos!!! Yes

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 12:27 PM

WD40:
I’m disappointed when my home page show up so much stuff from Roman Catholic falsehoods.

Good thing I know that when people are this strongly anti-Catholic it tends to be because God has sunk his fishing hook pretty deeply into their throat and is pulling the line... Unhooked fish have no problem swimming right under the fisherman's boat; only hooked fish swim straight away with all their might. You'll be welcome when you're ready. Stick out tongue

Of course, if I didn't know that, I might be tempted to suggest that you put yourself in my shoes for a minute and thought about how disappointing it must be for me when my home page show up so much stuff from Evangelical falsehoods... Stick out tongue

MJ. Smith:
Hmmm.... Catholics have known Paul for around 1980 years and had problems with him only before he headed to Damascus. In fact, good old Paul came to discuss it with us when there were questions re: requirements for Gentile conversions. Wink

Harbey Santiago:
Every time I see a post like this, there are so many things that come to my mind. But then I member the words of Jesus in Mathew 5:11-12

Big Smile

George Somsel:
(I do not intend to offend any Roman Catholic members of the community, but I happen to hold that all christians are members of the "One holy catholic church" which means that we too are entitled to call ourselves catholic)

It's funny how differently Protestants think about this. In Sweden only Catholics (and Orthodox?) use the work 'katolsk' in the Creed; Protestants use 'allmännelig', which doesn't translate very well, but I guess 'common' might be the closest, if you remove all negative connotations from that word. If you tried to tell anyone here below clearly High Church that he should think of himself as 'catholic', he'd probably accuse you of trying to bring him and everyone else back under Rome. Big Smile

Blair Laird:
Glad to see more Catholic resources

john joyce:
Catechism next please!

James Matichuk:
so far the only place where Logos has given us the work of the great 20th Century Catholic theologians like Congar, de Lubac, Rahner, Ratzinger, etc. I hope for more.

Also very glad to see a Catholic resource gather interest this fast! Right now it's at 86%! It might well reach a 100% by Monday. Yippee! (Where's the smiley for that? We need one!)

And very glad for this new partnership with Libreria Editrice Vaticana (yes, the Nova Vulgata is from them as well, but that one isn't exactly gathering interest fast...). That should open the way for e g encyclicals. Which is another thing I'm very eager to have!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 1:57 PM

fgh:

George Somsel:
(I do not intend to offend any Roman Catholic members of the community, but I happen to hold that all christians are members of the "One holy catholic church" which means that we too are entitled to call ourselves catholic)

It's funny how differently Protestants think about this. In Sweden only Catholics (and Orthodox?) use the work 'katolsk' in the Creed; Protestants use 'allmännelig', which doesn't translate very well, but I guess 'common' might be the closest, if you remove all negative connotations from that word. If you tried to tell anyone here below clearly High Church that he should think of himself as 'catholic', he'd probably accuse you of trying to bring him and everyone else back under Rome. Big Smile

That's somewhat funny since I've always thought of myself as distinctly low church [though I was raised a Fundamentalist -- not too different from our lubricant friend].  Today I only wish that my Fundamentalist friends would learn to read so that they might properly understand the scriptures -- Oh well, they're still my friends and I still have sympathy for their position since I understand the reasons which lie behind it.  I don't really think that "allemännelig" needs translation since it's pretty obvious. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 4:24 PM

George Somsel:
I was raised a Fundamentalist -- not too different from our lubricant friend

I'd momentarily forgotten about our friend's penetratingly oily moniker and thought you were making an oblique reference to the enthusiastic young Fundamentalist lubricant salesman in The Big Kahuna.

Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS