Logos 4 for PC via Parallels on a Mac - better speed?

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 15 2011 7:40 PM

It's just the fact for now - Logos 4 on the Mac is an incredible slow program to use. Very helpful program, but slow slow slow.

Even on one of the fastest MacBook Pro laptops out there:

http://www.kevinpurcell.org/archives/1170

---

Has anyone tried to use Logos for PC via Parallels on the Mac? If so, how does the speed compare?

I'd love to hear from you..

thanks,

Jacques

Posts 493
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:12 PM

I have parallels and a macbook pro with 8 gig of RAM. I purchased the Mac version and it is slow.

I even ran it on Brand new Mac PRO Server with 16 gig of RAM and 4 Core system and an 1 Gig Video Card. Still Slow

I don't think logos has a "universal" install disk or any way a user can use both a windows or mac version so that they can test side by side.Could be wrong on that though

I just cannot see repurchasing the product just to test the windows side of things. 

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:18 PM

Larry Good:

I don't think logos has a "universal" install disk or any way a user can use both a windows or mac version so that they can test side by side.Could be wrong on that though

I just cannot see repurchasing the product just to test the windows side of things.

Actually you don't have to repurchase the software.  Your license is valid for either platform and you can run them both without having to purchase anything again.

Blessings, Fernando

Posts 493
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:19 PM

Good to know - I will fire up parallels and do a comparative evaluation on windows vs. mac to try to respond to Jacques.

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:21 PM

All of your licensing is on the Logos servers. It's fairly simple to install!

Once in Parallels, within your PC side - go here:

http://www.logos.com/windows/installlogos4

Download and install using the guide Option #1. Once you install, it'll ask for your account and password - then Logos will automatically sync all of your resources and notes. After it's done doing this, as you probably know, it'll take quite some time to index. Once the index is finished, you can then compare the speeds of the two.

thanks, please let me know how it goes

Jacques

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:22 PM

Wow you guys are fast!

I was still writing back while you two posted back and forth...

= )

Jacques

Posts 208
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:23 PM

EDIT: woah....too slow on the reply button, so please ignore Smile

Larry Good:

As far as I can tell, you wouldn't need to purchase it twice. I think Logos provide the engine for free (as with the iOS app) and charge for the licensing of resources (please correct me if wrong here). 

I found a link to download the L4 PC engine...

http://www.logos.com/support/faq
The free download of the Windows version of the core Logos 4 engine is available fromhttp://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 208
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:26 PM

Larry Good:
Good to know - I will fire up parallels and do a comparative evaluation on windows vs. mac to try to respond to Jacques.

I must admit, I have been tempted to try the same under VMWare Fusion (or Bootcamp) on my MBP, but have assumed it would be slower, so never bothered.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:37 PM

I don't see the complaint about speed as much in the PC realm. It's obvious that Logos was not designed for the Mac. It's look, behavior and speed are nothing like any Mac app I've ever witnessed. It's a rough port in the making with a minimum of Mac-like optimization.

There's nothing like it though, that Exegetical Guide has got me. I don't see that Accordance has anything like this.. Logos' sheer amount of resources are amazing.

Perhaps one day, Logos will be coded correctly - until then I may just purchase Parallels 6 to run Logos. 

I can't wait to see the comparison results!

Jacques

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:45 PM

Jacques:
I don't see the complaint about speed as much in the PC realm

I posted this in another thread, but since it was mentioned here; I will repost what I said in the other thread.

While I do not have a mac, I can say that L4 runs painfully slow on my pc and my laptop.  While both of them are not top of the line, both of them easily (double as a matter of fact) the min. requirements stated by Logos to run L4.

Posts 388
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:54 PM

This should be interesting, I am looking forward to see how the same machine loaded with both OS's operate Logos 4 for speed.

Yes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:43 PM

Wiki Logos 4 Mac has Need Logos 4 PC feature ? section has 3 virtual machine options for running Logos 4 PC on a Mac.  Also mentions Boot Camp partitioning so can natively boot Windows on Apple hardware (faster than virtualization).  Wiki includes links to forum threads with virtual machine performance suggestions (e.g. disable floppy drives).

Likewise looking forward to Logos 4.2a performance comparison.

Apologies, no longer have 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 iMac (with 16 GB Ram) to compare Logos 4.2a performance between Mac OS X and Windows virtual machines.

Would be interesting to compare elapsed time for several items:

1) Rebuild indexes for same set of resources one at a time

2) Open Logos 4.2a to Home Page

3) Home Page -  John 1:1-18 - GO - scroll to John 3 (in preferred bible)

4) Customize Exegetical Guide to remove Word by Word section

5) Repeat Home Page - John 1:1-18 - GO - scroll to John 3 (in preferred bible)

6) Same search on both platforms: e.g. greek:λόγος in All Bible Text in New Testament in All Bibles

Mac Troubleshooting page has Slow Performance section.  Do remember enabling Snow Leopard 64 bit kernel (with 16 GB Ram) noticeably improved Mac OS X performance for all applications.  While using 64 bit Mac OS X kernel, also remember 64 bit Windows in virtual machine was faster than 32 bit WIndows (e.g. rebuild index command completed 20 % sooner).

Wiki page Diagnostic Logging may be helpful - Logos 4 Mac always has diagnostic logging enabled.  By default, Logos 4 PC does not.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 493
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:50 PM

Thanks for the sample script ideas:

1. I do run 64 bit Kernel with 16 gig RAM, 8 Cores, High End Graphics Card.

2. Right now I only have Windows XP running on the parallels side, which is a limitation

To configure Parallels to recognized this much memory and that many CPU's is problematic, therefore that environment really won't have access to total power of the hardware. I could purchase Windows 7 and relieve some of the restrictions. I'll have to think hard about that one, as I am skeptical that it will result in a performance gain worthy of the expense.

Posts 493
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:02 PM

Couple of architecture questions:

1. Given that I have eight cores, how multithreaded is your engine, can it leverage it effectively?

2. An example, I run a query using search - The results are indexed fast ! however building and then searching through that list takes more time that I would expect

3. Window managment, resizing, etc seems sluggish, like I am driving through mud. Not sure if you can multi thread that function but I cetainly have the hardware support behind it.

I understand that this application is maintaining a huge cross linked environment so it does push the envelope compared to  your average productivity application installed on a user desktop.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:37 PM

Larry Good:

Thanks for the sample script ideas:

1. I do run 64 bit Kernel with 16 gig RAM, 8 Cores, High End Graphics Card.

2. Right now I only have Windows XP running on the parallels side, which is a limitation

To configure Parallels to recognized this much memory and that many CPU's is problematic, therefore that environment really won't have access to total power of the hardware. I could purchase Windows 7 and relieve some of the restrictions. I'll have to think hard about that one, as I am skeptical that it will result in a performance gain worthy of the expense.

Seem to remember 64 bit Windows 7 being bit faster than 64 bit Windows XP for rebuilding Logos 4 indexes.

For IT professionals, Microsoft offers Tech Net subscriptions.

Larry Good:

Couple of architecture questions:

1. Given that I have eight cores, how multithreaded is your engine, can it leverage it effectively?

2. An example, I run a query using search - The results are indexed fast ! however building and then searching through that list takes more time that I would expect

3. Window managment, resizing, etc seems sluggish, like I am driving through mud. Not sure if you can multi thread that function but I cetainly have the hardware support behind it.

I understand that this application is maintaining a huge cross linked environment so it does push the envelope compared to  your average productivity application installed on a user desktop.

Logos 4.2a is a 32 bit multi-threaded application that can effectively use up to 4 cores.  For 32 bit Windows, 4 GB RAM is maximum (unless an extended memory driver is installed).  In 64 bit WIndows, RAM above 4 GB can be used by Windows for file caching.

Logos 4.2a has a common C# code base on PC and Mac written for .Net (uses Mono on Mac OS X).  For Windows, Logos 4.2a uses Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).  On Mac, Logos 4.2a uses Cocoa interface for Mac (native).

Forum notes search speed display improvement between 4.0b and 4.2a Beta => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/27972/207478.aspx#207478 - searched for 'David' in Old Testament.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 8:37 AM

Larry Good:
I don't think Logos has a "universal" install disk or any way a user can use both a windows or mac version so that they can test side by side.Could be wrong on that though

In fact, all base package discs have both the Windows and Mac version. 

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 493
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 10:52 AM

Again thanks for the detailed technical response. I'm sure this will get all sorted out. On net I really am really impressed with Logos in terms of the concept. It's amazing, and there is much potential to be mined I am sure in future product refinement.

I've  invested the time to review all the help available by trainers and others who generously contributed video seminars on specific topics.  Well worth  it because once the big picture starts to  lock into view, my mind can work freely to explore without a pile of reference books piled everywhere. Not that I do not still have hardcover but it is a fantastic addition.

I've got a lot to learn about this tool, and it's exciting to be in a forum of knowledgeable, helpful people.

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 10:38 AM

I'm still seeing this thread on how slow the Mac version is here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30967.aspx?PageIndex=3

I think we all know this.. but I don't see this nearly as much on the PC side. Seeing this is not some intense 3D game, I figure the PC version of Logos 4 is faster!

Has anyone yet had the chance to try Logos 4 for Windows via Parallels? Macupdate.com has a bundle deal that includes Parallels 6 for cheap (along with a lot of other useful software). I'd like to grab it before the offer is pulled...

Anyone with thoughts on this yet?

thanks

Posts 493
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 10:48 AM

Jacques,

I think the most accurate measurement for you needs/configuration is just to try it on your computer.

Here is a link to a 14 day trial of the product from the software vendor.

http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:10 AM

Jacques:
I figure the PC version of Logos 4 is faster!

It might be faster, but it is not fast.

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS