Logos 4 for PC via Parallels on a Mac - better speed?

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:17 AM

Larry Good:
I think the most accurate measurement for you needs/configuration is just to try it on your computer.

That would be true if I had all of the software needed for the comparison. I probably would not have asked if I had the software, as a matter of fact I would of posted results for those that are interested..!

I'm still waiting on Logos Scholar, I hope to have it by the end of March. I do have Windows Vista retail box, but not Parallels 6. Parallels 6 is only on sale for a number of days, I'd have to buy it before I actually have Logos Scholar in hand. There are folks here that have all of these tools and have offered to do a bit of a comparison.

So there you have it, I await someone's test!

thanks

Posts 493
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:20 AM

What I was trying to get at is you can download parallels for a free 14 day trial on your computer -

That way you will have what you need on that front. I may be missing something regarding your needs

See the link on my previous post. It will take you right there

http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

Posts 1534
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:52 AM

Right now you can get Parallels 6 PLUS 1Password and some other very useful software, and Civ IV for $50.

https://www.mupromo.com/

These guys do a package like that every year, and it's always undpredictable what will be included.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 12:27 PM

I started using Logos 4 on Fusioin / Win XP when it was released about 1-1/2 years ago. It was faster than Logos 3. When I upgraded to Win 7, performance was better and continued to improve with later release. My performance on Fusion was not a snappy as what I was seeing in the training videos (Barnes, et al) but it was at a level I could live with on a virtual machine.

I installed L4 Mac when it went gold. Although it was just as fast as my Windows L4, I continued using L4 windows because it had more features. Since the latest release, L4 Mac is definitely more snappier than L4 windows on Fusion. I can't say that it is just as fast as what I'm seeing in the native Windows training videos, but it is definitely close. I don't use L4 Windows anymore - I will delete it from my system soon.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 1:17 PM

Thanks Otto!

This is helpful. It sounds like it's likely they speed difference is not huge - it's just a slow program. I hope to see others observations too..

thanks again, have a good weekend

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 10:22 PM

Jacques:
I hope to see others observations too..

Jacques,

Below is a link to the Camp Logos Live Pre-pub page, in particularly the 2nd video ("Camp Logos Live Sample Sessions"). L4 Windows is being used to demostrate right-click searching from the ESV.

As I followed with my L4 Mac, I noticed the following:

• It took slightly longer (maybe up to a full second) for the right-click menus to fully load on my L4M than it did with the L4W in the video.
  • Search results on my L4M were displayed just as fast, and sometimes slightly faster, than L4W in the video

I'm using the latest Mac release - I don't know what release was being used in the video.

Now relative to everyone else, I don't know if this is good, bad, or insufficient to draw any conclusions, but it may be a good place to start for comparative observations.

http://www.logos.com/product/9356/camp-logos-live

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 7:53 AM

Otto -

It sounds like you were comparing the video of someone else's system being used, against your installation. The comparison I hope someone will post, is between Parallels 6 on a Mac running Logos 4 for PC and Logos 4 Mac - on the same machine.

I'm noticing on the forums here and there, it seems like the answer is that the PC version in a setup like this is a bit faster, has more features, and doesn't have problems with notes syncing. I'm only gathering this from how I've noticed people are talking here and there.

I still watch for more posts, but so far it seems the PC version is the way to go if you have the resources to spare. (Running Parallels w/ Windows and Logos takes up a lot of memory I'm sure, as you're launching an entire operating system to run alongside the Mac...)

Jacques

Posts 51
Richard Labelle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 9:54 AM

Jacques (or anyone else), do you have to purchase also windows 7 to have parallel work on your Mac? I never used parallel before!

Thanks for your help.

... pursuing excellence in Christ Jesus!

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 10:06 AM

Richard Labelle:
do you have to purchase also windows 7 to have parallel work on your Mac?

You will need to install a Windows operating system onto Parallels to run L4 Windows. Doesn't have to be Windows 7, but I would recommend it.

Posts 1082
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 10:13 AM

Richard Labelle:

Jacques (or anyone else), do you have to purchase also windows 7 to have parallel work on your Mac?

Yes. You can often pick up W7 quite cheaply if you qualify for education prices (you could also get M$ office etc. for a significant discount as well). It depends where you are geographically as to where you can get it. The main MS site should point you in the correct direction. Here in the UK I usually use Pugh.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 2:39 PM

If you think you will use both Windows and Office then a subscription to Technet basic is only $200 and you can download it and install it on multiple computers and have access to full versions of Office for both Win/Mac.

Posts 51
Richard Labelle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 3:45 PM

Thanks guys for your prompt replies. Very appreciated. I am a Mac person. I used windows on a PC before and actually have no intention of returning to it, even with Parallel. So I guess I'll have to be patient with Logos like the rest of you. I do believe that Logos will become an AWESOME software ... in due time.

God bless you!

... pursuing excellence in Christ Jesus!

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 8:30 PM

Just an FYI, I am waiting (and waiting) for Logos 4 Win to finish indexing on my new MBPro. Once it does, I will capture some video of the two side by side and show you how it compares in Mac OS X and via Parallels.

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 8:46 PM

Nice! Looking forward to seeing how it goes, thanks for you efforts.

BTW - has anyone tried to use these forums with the iPad? They don't let me type a response directly. As a work around I'm using Notes to quickly compose then copy/paste the response.

Posts 10813
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:44 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Just an FYI, I am waiting (and waiting) for Logos 4 Win to finish indexing on my new MBPro. Once it does, I will capture some video of the two side by side and show you how it compares in Mac OS X and via Parallels.

See my note in your other thread concerning running Parallels and L4 Mac at the same time on the same machine, or are you running this on two different machines. How many Macs do you own now? For a PC, you seem to have a lot of Macs Geeked

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:47 AM

Jack Caviness:
How many Macs do you own now? For a PC, you seem to have a lot of Macs Geeked

I have the MacBook Air that I was given. And I used my expense account to replace my very aging Lenovo desktop with an iMac so I can have the same environment. When it turned out to be a lemon (returned two for bad logic board) I instead got the new MacBook Pro which I am mostly using as a dekstop replacement.

As I said in the other post referenced in yours, I am an iOS guy using whatever system is most efficient to use my iPad. If it wasn't such a pain to switch, I load Windows under Bootcamp and use that most of the time and only go into OS X when I wanted to sync with my iPad/iPhone and use iMovie to create video. It's just easier to run in OS X and then run Parallels for Bible software that doesn't run natively.

If Logos ever fixes this thing, I could stop doing that unless I'm reviewing it.

Posts 10813
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:14 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
If Logos ever fixes this thing

I believe this is coming. Having been with Logos for Mac from the very beginning, I can see the progress. Those who have come later, tend to see the problems. Hey, I have become a glass is 3/4 full kind of guy (well, as far as L4 Mac goes, anyway Geeked).

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 12:13 PM

Kevin posted some videos, the verdict is up!

..and thanks for the efforts..

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/31357.aspx

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS