Bible reference searches in non-Bible resources

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 3:32 PM

Kevin Becker:

Thanks Louis, is there a character that is short for superset?

More importantly would it be possible to get a developer to look at this. In some cases where a chapter break is poorly placed this is a serious search limitation! Perhaps if the ~ could include adjacent chapters where the Bible reference had a specific end verse.

It's a similar problem to L3 in that Passage Guide searches need to be specific as possible. I Jn 2:28-3:3 is less likely to produce a meaningful article on 1 Jn 2:28 than 1 Jn 2:29, which the default <1 Jn 2:28> would find. So <superset 1 Jn 2:28> is appropriate for this case (see 1. References).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 3:44 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:

I'll ask whether this is actually what was intended. As I noted, the function appears to be the same as %narrow-intersect% in Libronix. If the reason for this is really just to exlude overly broad chapter-level ranges, then it seems like references that specify a verse and only span a single chapter are precise enough to be included by "~".

Thanks!

Posts 456
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 12:32 PM

It's too bad that they left the scripture index out of this version.. I have this in a different software and it is included there.

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 7:39 PM

Nord Zootman:
It's too bad that they left the scripture index out of this version.

What do you mean?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 456
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 8:01 PM

The original post said "Unfortunately, this particular book is missing the Scripture index found in the print edition, so I find myself going to the print edition to find Scripture passages" I don't have this in LOGOS so I can't verify that, but it appears that they did not include the index (presumably because it can be searched). At least one other company includes the index in their digital copy.

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 4:20 AM

Nord Zootman:
The original post said "Unfortunately, this particular book is missing the Scripture index found in the print edition, so I find myself going to the print edition to find Scripture passages"

You can click the Quote button to include the text to which you are responding (prevents misunderstandingsBig Smile).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 456
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 6:52 AM

Thanks Dave - not sure how I missed that!

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 10:20 PM

Dave Hooton:
So <superset 1 Jn 2:28> is appropriate for this case (see 1. References).

This works, at least in this instance. I really expected <~1 John 2:28> to work.

I think it would be more intuitive if a person could type in a Bible reference and find it whether the verse is an exact match or part of a range.

I still think this type of search works inconsistently. In the Wallace Greek Grammar, if I search <Bible ~1 John 2:28> it does not find 1 John 2:28-3:3 (page 525). But if I change the search to <Bible ~1 John 2:18> it finds 1 John 2:18-19, which is on the same page.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 10:23 PM

Could someone explain the 3 types of search operators as they apply to the Bible: Intersection, subset and superset. These are listed here (under 1. References).

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 10:33 PM

Harry Hahne:

Could someone explain the 3 types of search operators as they apply to the Bible: Intersection, subset and superset. These are listed here (under 1. References).

I don't know the answer to your question, but I enjoyed reading your Logos 4 operation tips on your balboa website.  Do you plan to update that?

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2011 1:31 AM

Harry Hahne:

Forum http://community.logos.com/forums/p/19846/149311.aspx#149311 has an example of intersection, subset, and superset.  Also, wiki Searching for Bible Verses and other References section has a table illustrating intersection, subset, and superset.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2011 4:40 AM

Harry Hahne:

This works, at least in this instance. I really expected <~1 John 2:28> to work.

I think it would be more intuitive if a person could type in a Bible reference and find it whether the verse is an exact match or part of a range.

I still think this type of search works inconsistently. In the Wallace Greek Grammar, if I search <Bible ~1 John 2:28> it does not find 1 John 2:28-3:3 (page 525). But if I change the search to <Bible ~1 John 2:18> it finds 1 John 2:18-19, which is on the same page.

Harry, this caught me by surprise too!

The main issue is that the range 1 John 2:28-3:3 crosses a chapter boundary.

The <~BibleRef> syntax excludes ranges that cross chapter boundaries. The idea is so that <~1 John 2:28> would not return a tagged range like 1 John 2-4. Normally this is a pretty good idea because a wide swath of text isn't very likely to have relevance to our search for one verse. But in the cases where a chapter boundary interrupts a paragraph this distinction can interrupt a regular <BibleRef> search. Louis' post that he's going to ask development about having a reference like this one included in the ~ search is good news!

Anyway I hope that information will make the links by KS4J more understandable. EDIT: The Detailed search page is, well details, it would be easy to miss the pertinent info, so for those who don't know what to look for this screen-grab is from that wiki page. The chart explains the differences.

Posts 7909
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 11:24 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:

<bible superset 1 Jn 2:28> appears to get all references you're looking for.

You can also use <bible intersect 1 Jn 2:28>, which performs a full intersection and finds references that span chapter boundaries. (This is off by default, because ~ is faster, and typically returns more relevant results.)

The difference between using "intersect" and "superset" is that <bible superset 1 Jn 2:20-29> won't find 1 Jn 2:28, because v28 is not a "superset" of vv20-29. However, "intersect" will find that reference.

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 3:13 PM

Bradley Grainger:
You can also use <bible intersect 1 Jn 2:28>, which performs a full intersection and finds references that span chapter boundaries. (This is off by default, because ~ is faster, and typically returns more relevant results.)

Bradley, this is the sort of information that should be in L4 Help - even Louis was struggling!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5607
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 3:18 PM

Dave Hooton:

Bradley Grainger:

Bradley, this is the sort of information that should be in L4 Help - even Louis was struggling!

Yeah!  I immediately marked Bradley's post as a favorite so I could find it again.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 3:29 PM

Dave Hooton:

Dave,

You might want to update the wiki page Search Help , i found differing result counts.

Using the tilde yields

While using Intersect yields

Also i tried intersection (as it was in italics) and got this

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 3:45 PM

I just made changes to both wiki Search articles ie. http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP & http://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help#Searching_for_Bible_Verses_and_other_References

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 3:57 PM

Thanks Dave!

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS