The Longest 20 mins..........

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 615
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:23 PM

Finally, I've downloaded everything (I hope) after 12 hours.  Now the indexing started about an hour ago.  I've been watching it countdown....20 mins left.  I hope I can use it after this.  I'm probably not going to get much sleep.  I have class tomorrow and need to finish my exegesis....  The longest 20 mins!  Geeked

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:25 PM

John, you can use the program while it's indexing!

You just won't get much love with searching.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:25 PM

Hmmmmm, Bob's point of getting Logos out this soon was so that users (including students) could get a head start for the following semester. Did he also envision the potential for students to possibly get lower/bad grades because they were guilty of playing with Logos? Stick out tongue

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:27 PM

John the estimate can be misleading because certain resources especially interlinears can really throw it off. There was a lot of discussion and concern in adding the estimate by Team Logos because of all the variables. Number of resources, type of resources, processor type, amount of ram, what else is running on your system, etc...

It could go from an hour to a few minutes left to go depending on the resources it has left to go...

Posts 798
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:29 PM

Don't forget that if you have work to get done, you can still work in V3.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 615
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:31 PM

Mitch Davis:
playing with Logos?

PLAYING?  I have just been waiting.  LOL

Posts 615
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:32 PM

Pastor Jerry Bush:
Don't forget that if you have work to get done, you can still work in V3.

I have been, thanks.  Thanks for all your concerns about my work and grades.  I am just about done.  Maybe there is something in the indexing and countdown that is waiting for me to finish before it completes......hmmmm....

LOL

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:36 PM

Well indexing usually does max out the processor, many of us learned to save indexing for overnight or when we would not be using our systems. However it is MUCH improved from the beginning indexing! So if you are working with say V3 and Word, etc. open it could be slowing indexing down a bit...

Posts 1930
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:47 PM

For better or worse, I found on my 1GB machine that the last few moments would drag on forever if I was doing much of anything because the Logos Indexer needed as much memory as I could give it during the last phases of creating the index.  The processor demands were not a problem.  The MEMORY was.  Of course, there are many people who have more memory than my machine.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 615
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:57 PM

2 mins left.  Anticipation is growing.......

Posts 2647
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:58 PM

I was down to 14 minutes and then another 29mg download and then another 6 hr estimated indexing time......... patience patience..

Posts 615
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 7:14 PM

Well worth the wait.  GREAT JOB Logos.  Now, the uncomfortable period that requires me to finish my work and then play when I am done.

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 7:45 PM

Yep, I'm frustrated.  Downloading file plus 1.6 gig took 25 minutes.  1.5hr later I still have over 3 hrs of indexing to go.  Anyway, I guess 1 gig of ram on a 2002 xp is outdated.  Perhaps I can use this software tomorrow.  This machine is so bogged down.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:12 PM

Chris:

Yep, I'm frustrated.  Downloading file plus 1.6 gig took 25 minutes.  1.5hr later I still have over 3 hrs of indexing to go.  Anyway, I guess 1 gig of ram on a 2002 xp is outdated.  Perhaps I can use this software tomorrow.  This machine is so bogged down.

It will be worth it....in the morning :-) Actually I've added a lot to my library today and I've been waiting to do a full index so I am off to bed leaving my computer to fully reindex.

Posts 22
Derek Ennis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:46 PM

amen

Posts 2647
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:55 AM

Awoke this am, windows updated last night and the indexing is starting over. Apparently there is not way it can start where it left off. This is the third time the indexing has restarted when it was almost complete. Come on, don't you think there can be an interruption and be able to start where it left off for something that takes a day to complete. 24hrs with Logos 4 and still 7 hrs left to finish indexing. Please advise if this is unusual and I need to contact support, or if I just need to get through another day of indexing and hope if finishes.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:00 AM

JohnFidel:

Awoke this am, windows updated last night and the indexing is starting over. Apparently there is not way it can start where it left off. This is the third time the indexing has restarted when it was almost complete. Come on, don't you think there can be an interruption and be able to start where it left off for something that takes a day to complete. 24hrs with Logos 4 and still 7 hrs left to finish indexing. Please advise if this is unusual and I need to contact support, or if I just need to get through another day of indexing and hope if finishes.

John,

I wish that I'd written on the forums how important it was to turn off Windows automatic updates. This happened to me and I raised my concerns loud and clear. In the end, I just had to change my Windows settings to notify me of updates but not to download and install them.

Someone from Logos can hopefully explain why they are unable to just interrupt indexing and have it start again... Apparently it ain't easy.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:08 AM

Well, the good news is Logos beat my antivirus. Last night right after I started a full re-index Macafee started up. I thought, boy, this should be a good turtle race. That was 11pm. this morning at 7am Mcafee had 15 minutes left.

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:11 AM

I couldn't have dreamed for just 20 minutes, no matter how relative.  I started downloading the 7.7 gig at 4 p.m and that finished by 9 p.m. then it indexed overnight.  Tried a few things in the morning but work was calling me.  I will have to wait until I get home now to try things out.  Does anyone know if you order the DVD's, that this process will take a whole lot less time?  I just want to be prepared for the next time I may have to do this.

Don

Posts 28021
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:35 AM

Donald Fisher:
Does anyone know if you order the DVD's, that this process will take a whole lot less time?

Yes, nearly all that downloading, as there could be a small component still requiring a download (updates + resources not on DVD).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS