Oxford Latin Dictionary

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2011 4:05 PM

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:
This surprises me.  I would have thought they would have the license in hand before offering it on prepub. 

I would expect a license to have a specified length of time in which it had to be released ... slow sales could equal lost of license. Of course, the nice thing about my expectations is that they are based upon no known facts whatsoever. Big Smile

In that case I would fault Logos.  It should have been released even prior to the expiration of the license whether or not it was fully subscribed.  There are some resources which can be assured to have a continuing demand even when the immediate demand may not be forthcoming.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 287
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2011 4:35 PM

This situation continues the disturbing trend of Logos not having contractual control of the works it offers.  This does not bode well for the AYBRL. 

Posts 27916
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2011 7:39 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Isn't Latin one of the few languages that has not changed in the last 500 years?

Depends on how you define language. Latin would be on a par with Old Church Slavonic, Avestan and other liturgical languages. While the language may not have changed all that much, our knowledge of building useful dictionaries has improved.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2011 8:12 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Isn't Latin one of the few languages that has not changed in the last 500 years? Is it all that beneficial to have a copyrighted version over a public domain work?

Fragments of papyri and new editions of classical texts create some new definitions. OLD contains many quotaions much more than Lewis and Short. That being said, OLD cannot be used for texts that are Post-Classical (200 AD and later). Most Logos users will not use it to read Julius Caesar, Catullus or Tacitus.  Lewis and Short is the right   solution for people reading the Vulgate for instance.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2011 9:15 PM

MJ. Smith:
While the language may not have changed all that much, our knowledge of building useful dictionaries has improved.

Good point.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 6:50 AM

Matthew C Jones:
Isn't Latin one of the few languages that has not changed in the last 500 years?

Most official Catholic Church documents are still written in Latin, there's a Latin Wikipedia, and I believe a guy in Finland is broadcasting in Latin, so the vocabulary has certainly had to be updated since then in order to cover everything from stem-cell research to multinational corporations to the internet. And considering that Catholic seminary education tended to take place in Latin until not so very long ago I imagine the oral language has evolved as well. In fact, the Second Vatican Council was conducted entirely in Latin; only the ecumenical guests were allowed interpreters, the bishops were not. 

That said, it seems the OLD only covers pre-200 AD Latin, which would make it a less than ideal fit for my needs, no matter how modern the scholarship is. In so far as I look at Latin at all, it's going to be Church Father, Medieval and Modern Ecclesiastical Latin, not Julius Caesar. So it certainly sounds as if this Lewis and Short would be better, preferably together with something really modern, like the Vatican's dictionary. And if Logos gets more Medieval Latin works in the future, J. F. Niermeyer's Mediae Latinitatis Lexicon Minus might be useful. Seems to be from 1976, so it's fairly modern, and later editions seems to include corrections as well as definitions in both English, French and German. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 7:26 AM

fgh:
In so far as I look at Latin at all, it's going to be Church Father, Medieval and Modern Ecclesiastical Latin, not Julius Caesar.

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur. Hi omnes lingua, institutis, legibus inter se differunt. Gallos ab Aquitanis Garumna flumen, a Belgis Matrona et Sequana dividit. Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae, propterea quod a cultu atque humanitate provinciae longissime absunt, minimeque ad eos mercatores saepe commeant atque ea quae ad effeminandos animos pertinent important, proximique sunt Germanis, qui trans Rhenum incolunt, quibuscum continenter bellum gerunt. Qua de causa Helvetii quoque reliquos Gallos virtute praecedunt, quod fere cotidianis proeliis *** Germanis contendunt, *** aut suis finibus eos prohibent aut ipsi in eorum finibus bellum gerunt. Eorum una, pars, quam Gallos obtinere dictum est, initium capit a flumine Rhodano, continetur Garumna flumine, Oceano, finibus Belgarum, attingit etiam ab Sequanis et Helvetiis flumen Rhenum, vergit ad septentriones. Belgae ab extremis Galliae finibus oriuntur, pertinent ad inferiorem partem fluminis Rheni, spectant in septentrionem et orientem solem. Aquitania a Garumna flumine ad Pyrenaeos montes et eam partem Oceani quae est ad Hispaniam pertinet; spectat inter occasum solis et septentriones.

I remember quite distinctly reading that in high school.  I also remember that it was then that the USSR launched Sputnik so we started a crash course in Russian.  It really had people "all shook up."

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1020
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 7:35 AM

George Somsel:

It really had people "all shook up."

As shook up as I feel having waited 5 1/2 years for this prepub to arrive only to learn that Logos hasn't obtained a licence for it?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 7:37 AM

George Somsel:
proeliis *** Germanis contendunt, *** aut

The innocent little Latin preposition c u m got interdicted by our Puritanical software.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 7:59 AM

Tom Reynolds:

George Somsel:

It really had people "all shook up."

As shook up as I feel having waited 5 1/2 years for this prepub to arrive only to learn that Logos hasn't obtained a licence for it?

Believe me, I "feel your pain" since I also waited that long.  In addition I had the rug pulled out from under me on Crum's Coptic Dictionary.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 8:11 AM

George Somsel:
I remember quite distinctly reading that in high school.  I also remember that it was then that the USSR launched Sputnik

But, George, Sputnik launched in 1957. How could you possibly have been in high school then? You're supposed to have been born in the 70-ies...  Stick out tongueBig Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 8:18 AM

fgh:
You're supposed to have been born in the 70-ies

Now we find out that he wasn't born in the 70s, but he's possibly in his 70s.  Quite the switch around.  Or perhaps a time machine was involved---sent back in time to get a higher quality education.Wink

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 8:23 AM

fgh:
But, George, Sputnik launched in 1957. How could you possibly have been in high school then? You're supposed to have been born in the 70-ies...  Stick out tongueBig Smile

I got caught in a time warp Wink Wink Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 8:56 AM

George Somsel:
I got caught in a time warp Wink Wink Wink

The thing with not telling the truth is that you have to remember not to blow your cover. Wink

Todd Phillips:
perhaps a time machine was involved

But George is a PC guy, isn't he? I believe you have to be on Mac to use Time Machine. Stick out tongue

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 10:56 AM

fgh:

Todd Phillips:
perhaps a time machine was involved

But George is a PC guy, isn't he? I believe you have to be on Mac to use Time Machine. Stick out tongue

But I'm an Enterprise-ing guy.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 50
Eric Woernle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 7:27 PM

There is a definite need for this resource and it needs to be made available.

Posts 1
Joshua Hayes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2011 11:51 AM

Doleo lacrimis frequentibus.

Seriously, this was the number one resource I wanted out of Logos. If they are looking for an amazing Latin dictionary that's public domain besides Lewis and Short, they ought to republish Forcellini, Lexicon Totius Latinitatis.

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2011 12:28 PM

Kent Hendricks:

We have been unable to license the Oxford Latin Dictionary, so we pulled it from the Pre-Pub page for now.

Hope this change in the future Kent.

Posts 1020
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 7:04 PM

David Knoll:

Kent Hendricks:

We have been unable to license the Oxford Latin Dictionary, so we pulled it from the Pre-Pub page for now.

Thanks for letting us know.

BUT they haven't let us know. I see that it has disappeared from my orders page now and I am still waiting for an email from them explaining why my order was canceled. Why should customers have to search the forums for this information? If Amazon cancels my order I don't have to go and search their user forums for an explanation; they email and tell me.

Tom

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 7:17 PM

Tom Reynolds:
BUT they haven't let us know.

That depends on the question to whom the pronoun us refers. If it refers to the participants in this thread then they let us know. If on the other hand it refers to people like you who did not participate in this thread then the answer is no. but In that case your sentence should read "but they haven'e let US know." since the rheme/comment of the sentence is the word us.

Big Smile

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS