Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 2:00 AM | Locked

Bohuslav Wojnar:
How can you live without file extensions? Surprise

Remember 8.3 filenames? We thought we could never accept long, meaningful filenames that had spaces in them. Eek!! Too Mac-like. But we've gotten used to them, and actually most of us would probably admit to liking them better than the old way. Smile

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 2:01 AM | Locked

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Observation: older Mac OS had couple hidden fields to identify file creator and type (not need file extension).

Yes, I was just teasing Jack a little bit Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 2:42 AM | Locked

Bohuslav Wojnar:

By using a smarter OS. Big Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 2:48 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Remember 8.3 filenames? We thought we could never accept long, meaningful filenames that had spaces in them. Eek!! Too Mac-like. But we've gotten used to them, and actually most of us would probably admit to liking them better than the old way. Smile

Irony: Mac OS X (for past 10+ years) uses file extensions like Windows (bit different how to change extension association to open a file). 

Amazingly, Apple has hidden complexities of unix behind an easy to use interface that maintained many heritage Mac OS conventions (especially considering quotes are needed in unix for filenames that have spaces in them).

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Observation: older Mac OS had couple hidden fields to identify file creator and type (not need file extension).

Yes, I was just teasing Jack a little bit Smile

Honest historical observation can be fun too. Stick out tongue

Thankful for Logos 4.3 Beta's on Mac & PC Big Smile that include Personal Book Builder (PBB).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 3:40 AM | Locked

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Yes, I was just teasing Jack a little bit Smile

Hey, I fire up L4 Win on Parallels at least once a week just to remind myself how fortunate smart I am to be a Mac user. Cool

Posts 82
David L Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 7:37 AM | Locked

Yes. File Type and Creator identification were stored in the resource fork of the file. This told the OS what icon to use and what program to open the file with. When Mac files get converted to Windows this information is lost, even if the 'file format' is the same. This often creates problems when Mac users share files with Windows users, in that the latter think that they cannot open the files from the former. The files can be opened and will work, but Windows apps may not recognize the what kind of file it is, and may not let you select it. Generally the easiest solution is to manually add the extension to the file name.

The point in this case is that Mac users are not accustomed to adding extensions to file names, and need to be explicitly told to do so if they want L4's PBB to recognize the files and let them open them.

Isn't it great the way that technology makes our lives so much easier?

– DLA

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS