Which MacBook?

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 20 2011 1:39 AM

Having had my iMac for a couple of trouble-free years, I am ready to replace my ageing Windows laptop with a MacBook.

Currently, I am hesitating between a MacBook Air 13" with 1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 256GB flash storage and a MacBook Pro 13" with 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333MHz, 500GB 5400-rpm.

Strictly from a Logs 4 Mac perspective which should I go for?

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 2:44 AM

Not having time to check the exact specs - people tell me that having a 'back lit' keyboard is one of the thing that turns out to be a major advantage when using the laptop away from the desk.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 2:52 AM

I am using the 13" Macbook Pro. I bought it a few months ago and find it satisfying.

Originally, I searched a YouTube video comparing the performance of a max. out 13" Macbook Air to a Macbook Pro 13" model and I find the Macbook Air disappointing. Not saying that it is bad, it is good for its weights. MBA is about 1.3kg and MBP is about 2kg. (And the 11" MBA is 1kg only).

I myself is satisfied with the MBP's weight. 2kg for almost 1400 books in Logos, and with an excellent speed they all works great.

Posts 4
Frank Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 4:13 AM

All things equal, I would go with the MBA. The newest version has the backlit lighting. From a logos 4 perspective, you would want the SSD option which speeds up L4 access times significantly. You already have an iMac. You will not regret the MBA. My wife has one and loves it. I have a MBP 15 inch but updated it will an SSD.

Posts 25
Billy Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 10:44 AM

I think the air is great, but the power of the macbook pro just can't be beat.  You get incredibly lightweight with the air, there no doubt., but the storage and the extra ram on the pro is worth the little bit of extra weight.  I use my 13 pro extensively and it is just a workhourse.  With the increased use of multimedia in ministry storage is so important.  Also, I use a 24" monitor at my desk with the 13 macpro.  That just can't be beat.  Go with the pro, you can't go wrong.  (unless, you just really need the cool factor of the air - that you can't put a price on!)

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 11:51 AM

It's not my primary machine (have a mid-2010 imac for that) but I love my new Air (13, 128). Searches take no time at all with the SSD, and it weighs nothing to haul around. If you don't travel often AND have the cash to add an SSD to the pro, I'd go for that+ 8 Gb RAM.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 11:56 AM

I believe it was MJD that rightly conveyed the idea that the MBA is the smallest Apple device that will carry your full Logos library.

My issue would be the screen size for Logos.  How about holding out for the 15" MBA?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 12:49 PM

Another option is an Apple refurbished current generation MacBook Pro 15" with 2.0 GHz Quad-Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB 5400 rpm => http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC721B/A

Apple refurbished has same warranty as new; box has a refurbished label, inside packed like new.

MacBook Pro 15" has 1440x900 screen resolution, same as MacBook Air 13", and bit more than MacBook Pro 13" 1280x800 resolution.  

Caveat: 15" MacBook Pro weighs 5.6 pounds, noticeably more than MacBook Air's 2.96 pounds.

Also, MacBook Pro 15" has RAM upgrade option to 8 GB (memory prices currently trending downward).  For Logos 4 use, do recommend upgrading 5400 RPM hard drive to faster hard drive or preferably Solid State Disk (SSD).  Could use original hard drive for portable external storage or backup.

Noticed MacSales can ship internationally (not know about import duty):

750 GB 7200 RPM upgrade kit => http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/YST9750420AS/

500 GB 7200 RPM with 4 GB SSD Hybrid upgrade kit => http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/YST9500562AS/

MacBook Pro needs firmware update for SATA III transfer speeds => http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1450 f

240 GB SSD upgrade => http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/YSSD6X240/

Looking at 240 GB SSD in UK's Amazon => http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriot-Wildfire-SandForce-SF-2200-Processor/dp/B0058GK55G/ref=sr_1_4 noted Apple's new MacBook Air models are competitively priced.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 1:47 PM

Given that Logos 4 is a resource hog you should give it the most resources possible. The i7 processors in the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are not the same. Yes they are both Sandy Bridge generation i7 processors but they are different types, the processor in the MacBook Pro is more powerful.

The point about SSD drive in the Air should be discounted. You can always put an SSD drive in the Pro, but for either machine you can't upgrade the processor or bus speed. If it is going to be long term machine for you go for the MacBook Pro.

Not that I have anything against the MacBook Air, I think it is a superb machine. We got an 11" model with i5 processor for our daughter who has just started university — she loves it. But she's not running Logos 4 Wink

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 388
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 8:42 PM

I would suggest the MBA without hesitation.  This unit is amazingly fast, the new "i" processor and SSD is magical.

I also really like having super lightweight and a "cooler" running machine that the MBA provides.  My regular MacBook runs really hot when using on my lap.

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 5:51 AM

Logos will be just as slow on both machines. Big Smile

Only kidding. The high RAM will help and if you can later upgrade to an SSD, the Pro will be more satisfying in the long run, unless you also put a premium on portability. I have both an Air and a 15" MBP. I have 8GB of RAM in my Pro as well. I notice very little difference in performance between the two programs since I also have an SSD in my MBP.

My advice is get the Pro if you think you will add an SSD at a later date or get the Air if you want something more portable and light.

Posts 52
RPW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 6:15 AM

Kevin, I am also considering moving from the PC platform to a Mac. I am curious, do you notice much performance difference between your MBA and 15" MBP due to the discrete video in the MBP? Does the integrated video offer a satisfying experience? I am considering the MBP 13" vs MBP 15". Of course I like to be fiscally frugal, but I'm still working on patience. What kind of improvement did you note after installing the SSD in your MBP 15"?

Thanks,

Ron

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 6:33 AM

I'm using a MBA 13" i7 4gb/256gb. Logos runs great on it. Prior to my 2011 MBA, I was using a 2010 MBA. Logos ran horribly on it until the 4.3 upgrade came out - then it ran fine. Your decision between MBP and MBA should be based on other factors than Logos since I'm assuming it also runs great on a MBP 13" as well.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 7:40 AM

Alan, subjective statements like "my MacBook XXX runs great" are just that — subjective. If you want to choose between a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air you have to:

1. Consider what's important for you — size, performance, expandability.
  2. Remember that MB Air's come by default with an SSD drive which will boost their overall performance over a normal HDD. But you can put an SSD drive in a MB Pro.
  3. The MB Pro's come with a higher performance Thunderbolt connection than the MB Air + they have a FireWire 800 port, MB Air does not.
  4. The MB Pro has a faster Sandy Bridge i7 processor.
  5. Finally, to judge performance objectively, you should compare specs from performance tests. And then NOT just the total rating (because of SSD vs default HDD) but individual tests. Below is a link which has detailed individual tests taken from MacWorld Speedmark tests.

http://www.marketingtactics.com/Speedmark/

Good luck and enjoy your new Mac, whatever you get Smile

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 1:33 PM

Ron Washington:

Kevin, I am also considering moving from the PC platform to a Mac. I am curious, do you notice much performance difference between your MBA and 15" MBP due to the discrete video in the MBP? Does the integrated video offer a satisfying experience? I am considering the MBP 13" vs MBP 15". Of course I like to be fiscally frugal, but I'm still working on patience. What kind of improvement did you note after installing the SSD in your MBP 15"?

1. In Logos there is no noticeable difference between MBP w/SSD and MBA

2. Integrated video is on the newer MBA. Mine has discrete from 2010 version. Strange that Apple updated by speeding up processor and SSD but putting slower graphics. I'm guessing it was a cost cutting thing. But as for differences, see #1.

3. After I installed SSD on my MBP I saw a big boost in things that do a lot of hard drive thrashing. Start up is faster, programs launch faster, Logos searching is faster, working with video/picture editing is faster.

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 2:12 PM

"Strange that Apple updated by speeding up processor and SSD but putting slower graphics. I'm guessing it was a cost cutting thing."

It has to do with chipsets and legal agreements. NVIDIA can't build chipsets for Apple anymore, thanks to legal wrangling with Intel. So Apple had two choices. Do no chip update or update to the new chips but without discrete NVIDA graphics. In most cases, it's the right choice for performance. If you're trying to game or edit video, it might be problematic. I still don't understand how Logos can tax a video processor, since it's essentially text +UI.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:37 PM

I am not sure how it works but i do remember reading that something in mac os x allows processes to download onto an under utilize GPU.

-dan

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 21 2011 9:36 PM

Alan Macgregor:

Having had my iMac for a couple of trouble-free years, I am ready to replace my ageing Windows laptop with a MacBook.

Currently, I am hesitating between a MacBook Air 13" with 1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 256GB flash storage and a MacBook Pro 13" with 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333MHz, 500GB 5400-rpm.

I would suggest one with an HP or a Dell label.  Stick out tongue

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2011 12:24 AM

George Somsel:

Observation: Apple worth more than Dell => http://macdailynews.com/2011/09/20/apple-now-worth-fourteen-times-dell%E2%80%99s-market-value/  (bit of a change since 1997)

HP tried to sell PC Business, but so far no buyers => http://www.businessinsider.com/hp-tried-to-sell-pc-business-to-lg-and-samsung-2011-9

By the way, running a "Hackintosh" on an HP or a Dell is a violation of Apple's OS X License agreement (OS X only licensed for use on Apple computers).  Apple's license agreement was tested in court and found valid => http://www.macworld.com/article/144683/2009/12/psystar_apple_settle.html

Disclaimer: my wife uses Logos 4 Mac on 27" iMac (her Logos 4 use is increasing) while personally using a Dell XPS L702X 17" Laptop.  Note: two Dell Outlet XPS 17" laptops with 2nd Generation Quad Core i7 currently cost less than one refurbished Apple 17" MacBook Pro.  Some Apple models have price premiums while other models are competitively priced (e.g. iPad, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, 13" MacBook Pro).  Personal Mac purchase quandary is previous Mac Mini model with Snow Leopard Server or much faster new Mac Mini models with OS X Lion => http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/  Daily visiting => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini (not seen current model Mac Mini's yet).  Noticed recent Mac Mini price promotion => http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ (holiday season is fast approaching).

Noticed couple new ultrabooks shipping soon with similar price as MacBook Air models => http://www.lovefortech.com/2011/09/02/macbook-air-competitors-the-ultrabooks-are-coming-toshiba-and-acer/

Likewise reading rumor about surprise MacBook Pro refresh this month => http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/13/apple_may_surprise_with_late_2011_macbook_pro_refresh.html

Note: if MacBook Pro refresh rumor true, then anticipate price drop for older models.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2011 2:30 AM

George Somsel:

Alan Macgregor:

But the unspoken expectation was that the person wanted a good operating system - not a fuzzy photocopy of the good OS. Ick!

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS