Logos and Siri

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 8:24 AM

Chris Roberts:

Halo Hound:
Don't know but it's Beta. I've never known a Beta to not have bugs

How long was gmail in beta before they finally officially launched it?

A lot longer then Siri has been in beta, and I imagine when it first came out it had some things Google wanted to tweak.

Posts 1
Johan Verwey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:30 AM

Actually, there is an app that does something similiar, albeit not quite as intelligent as you might like. Check out SpeakTheWord Bible Search:

iPhone: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speaktheword/id495554141?mt=8&uo=4

Android: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.rhomobile.speaktheword

Posts 110
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 10:14 AM

Yesterday I wanted to quickly see the imperatives in John. Needing to do something like this rarely I had forgotten how to do it. It would have been so helpful if I could have spoken it like to a Siri function in Logos or at least type it into the go box and have it make the visual filter.

As a result, it took a lot of time to finally figure it out (a big shout-out, thanks to John Fallahee with LearnLogos who even made a personal video of how to do it and quickly sent it to me after I sent him my question).

I guess I'm dreaming but with the complexity & potential of Logos it would be a great aid to maximize the power of Logos to have something like this for us that don't use the many functions often enough to memorize how to do them. [Note: I went to the Logos training videos page; the wiki, etc to look for help before doing a "hail mary" to John].

Posts 26049
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 10:22 AM

John W:

[Note: I went to the Logos training videos page; the wiki, etc to look for help before doing a "hail mary" to John].

If you had found it - would the information at https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017524952-Morph-Search Have provided the information you needed?

Posts 9168
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 12:58 PM

JT (alabama24):

Dave Hooton:
Keep on dreaming.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but siri is pretty cool.

Siri is not cool! I asked her if she loves me and she avoids the question 😂😂😂

Posts 5993
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 2:26 AM

DAL:

I know what you mean, a couple of years ago my aged mother (late 80's) ventured to ask Siri about the golf scores.

On being told by Siri that it knew nothing about golf. Mother muttered 'That's no ruddy good'.

Siri responded 'That's not very nice!'

Mother took about three months to pluck up the courage to ask it anything again in case it was cross with her.  ;-(

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 30823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 4:19 AM

Haha

For the record, Dave was right. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9168
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 7:37 AM

Mike Binks:

DAL:

I know what you mean, a couple of years ago my aged mother (late 80's) ventured to ask Siri about the golf scores.

On being told by Siri that it knew nothing about golf. Mother muttered 'That's no ruddy good'.

Siri responded 'That's not very nice!'

Mother took about three months to pluck up the courage to ask it anything again in case it was cross with her.  ;-(

I got one for you 😂 Ask Siri what’s zero divided by zero  0÷0 You’d be surprised at the answer 😂

Posts 110
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 8:07 AM

I don't understand why this thread has gone in the direction it has.

Posts 30823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 9:02 AM

John W:

I don't understand why this thread has gone in the direction it has.

Well, you did resurrect a 10 year old thread. What do you expect? Smile

Posts 110
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 9:12 AM

I thought it is preferred to use an existing relevant post thread rather than a new one. So, this looked relevant so the reason I used it again. 

Posts 5993
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 9:35 AM

John W:

I thought it is preferred to use an existing relevant post thread rather than a new one. So, this looked relevant so the reason I used it again. 

Rarely the case John especially if the original question is a decade out of date. I didn't notice that either BTW.

Generally new questions should get new threads as it only takes a small detail to be different for the thread to go down a side line and become irrelevant to an increasingly disgruntled original poster. Not that that is likely to be true in this case.

In this case having scrolled down the replies and found an answer earlier on one feels it might be acceptable to go off at a tangent.

Best operate the principle 'New Problem - New Thread' and one is likely to get an answer quite swiftly, succinctly, and within top few posts.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 30823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 9:36 AM

John W:

There is a tension. If a user is having problems, then creating a new thread is generally best. In your case, a previous post may be a good choice, but the thread was 10 years old and had banter very much out dated. That banter has now been revived, as you found out. A new thread clearly explaining your desires would have been best. Your post was very easily lost in the midst of things. 

Posts 1367
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 1:52 PM

John W:
with the complexity & potential of Logos it would be a great aid to maximize the power of Logos to have something like this for us that don't use the many functions often enough to memorize how to do them

There are lots of reasonable use cases around spoken input, which is why we started development on Faithlife Assistant. It's currently running in desktop, and will accept spoken input as far as I know. I don't know if the Alexa app (a separate hackathon project from ~6 years ago) is still working or not, but it appears to still be available (no guarantees).  

Some challenges:

• Spoken output is fine for short, factual answers, or reading the Bible out loud, but you really need a screen for longer answers or further interaction.
  • Once some questions work, people quickly expect most all questions to work, and it's hard for users to know which ones actually will. So you need pretty robust performance to avoid turning people off. 
  • So far other features and projects have been deemed to have higher impact, so further extensions haven't been prioritized. The project's not dead, and I still believe in its promise, but it's currently dormant.
Posts 1367
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 2:31 PM

Sean Boisen:
will accept spoken input as far as I know

But it's not working well for me. Some screenshots with typed input:

Note one recognition failure, but "search the bible for knowledge", interpreted as the word knowledge, works pretty well.

Note it returns the highest ranking person who matches that name.

Posts 110
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 2:50 PM

Oh, I forgot about the "FL Assistant". Yes that is the concept I was hoping for, but able to handle the more complicated functions as well. Now it will open a new visual filter document but not create a visual filter for all imperatives in the Gospel of John (as I needed the other day). That would be powerful and such a blessing for occasional users like me.

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS