Major Update to Early Church Fathers

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 2:35 AM

Mike Pettit:

This represents a real improvement, the formatting is much better all round and the hyperlinking is superb, for instance references to the Iliad just pop up and can be jumped to at will. This is everything an electronic resource should be and it really rewards having a completely Logos librray rather than picking and choosing formats.

I am really grateful for this advance and look forward to similiar treatements to the huge Logos back catalogue. In the long run I think that it will make money for Logos as people move more fully to an integrated Logos library. 

Amen, brother. Thank you Logos!

Posts 19051
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:10 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:
We’ve added the names of the Church Fathers themselves to the author fields for each volume and added work titles to the resource descriptions, so that both can be easily located via Library. For instance, entering “author:Augustine Enchiridion” will get you quickly to NPNF1:3, where Augustine’s Enchiridion on Faith, Hope and Love can be found.

Hmm...it doesn't work. It just launches a search:

EDIT: And yes, I've got the updated versions of the resources (e.g., NPNF 1:3 has timestamp 2012-01-20T22:19:10Z in the info panel), and I'm running 4.5 Gold (4.50.0.1857).

Posts 23602
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 6:29 AM

Hi Rosie

Rosie Perera:

Louis' note says that this is a Library function - not for the Command Bar.

It seems to work fine in the library - in that it finds the correct volume.

Graham

Posts 19051
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 6:38 AM

Graham Criddle:

Rosie Perera:

Louis' note says that this is a Library function - not for the Command Bar.

Ah yes, I seem to have missed that small but important detail. Thanks!

Posts 8894
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 3:57 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:
This update doesn't specifically address this limitation

Sad

Louis St. Hilaire:
for locations covered by a specific (i.e. not just page) data type, it is already the case that you can accomplish this by using the "logosref" protocol instead of "logosres"

I suspected that, but I hadn't had time to try it out.

Louis St. Hilaire:
We're working on a possible solution for page references as well

So you're not just going to add datatypes for the volumes that don't have such?

Louis St. Hilaire:
(hopefully) it should have caught them of itself.

The systematic error seems to have been caught, but a dot that should be comma remains, as does a missing space in a footnote. Should I resubmit?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 4:19 PM

fgh:

Even if they did, it wouldn't solve the problem of other resources that point specifically to pages in the ECF. What we really need is a software solution that 'converts' a link to the Protestant Fathers into a link to the Catholic Fathers on the fly, if you have the latter but not the former.

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 4:22 PM

fgh:

Louis St. Hilaire:
We're working on a possible solution for page references as well

We're working on that front as well. This round did add a few data types, including Athanasius, Hippolytus and Clement of Alexandria, and I have more planned, so that at least the major works will be covered.

fgh:

Louis St. Hilaire:
(hopefully) it should have caught them of itself.

The systematic error seems to have been caught, but a dot that should be comma remains, as does a missing space in a footnote. Should I resubmit?

Resubmission isn't necessary. We retain all reports and will review anything that was submitted in the interim between clean up and shipment.

Posts 8894
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:26 PM

Mark Barnes:
Even if they did, it wouldn't solve the problem of other resources that point specifically to pages in the ECF. What we really need is a software solution that 'converts' a link to the Protestant Fathers into a link to the Catholic Fathers on the fly, if you have the latter but not the former.

Didn't think that far. Embarrassed I just thought about editing user created stuff like RL's and PB's. Of course, in the long run it is highly desirable that such links are changed to datatype links, in case someone wants to prioritize the Patrologia above the ECF for example, but in the short run a 'conversion' would be great. Shouldn't be too hard, the links seem to be exactly the same except for an added 'rc' in the Catholic reference. 

Louis St. Hilaire:
We're working on that front as well.

OK. Thanks. Star

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:59 PM

Thanks Bob and the whole Logos team. This is really helpful. You guys keep making me happier and happier with your great service and support. Honestly I've never seen a company go back and do stuff like this, at considerable expense. I wish Logos even greater success. Doing as Jesus would do, the Golden Rule!

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 7:55 AM

Great work! Makes me excited and wonder what else is coming down the pipeline as far as revisiting old resources for typos, linking, datatypes, metadata, etc, etc!!! Big Smile

Posts 8894
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 12:21 PM

I hope you're still following this thread, Louis.

I found a little error in your tagging this morning. If you right-click in Tertullian's On Monogamy you will, presumably, find what I found: that the reference is called On Monagamy. Smile That looks a bit odd, both there and at the bottom of popups, and I would imagine it messes with links in other resources. A search found 3 books in my Library with links to On Monagamy, and 1 with a link to On Monogamy. Thankfully, the latter seemed to work anyway, for some reason.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 12:45 PM

Good catch. This is actually an error in the data type parsing and rendering rather than the resource tagging, but we'll get it fixed in a future release.

Thanks.

Posts 11130
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 12:48 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:
Good catch. This is actually an error in the data type parsing and rendering rather than the resource tagging, but we'll get it fixed in a future release.

Thanks for mirroring these threads. I hope you also get the automatic re-linking from protestant to catholic ECF fixed... 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 8894
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 12:58 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:

Thanks.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 2:15 PM

Thanks!!!

Ud Laugh 2 if you had disciples like us.

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 3 2012 3:58 PM

Thank you Logos. The is a great new feature, and opens up  the ECF to closer examination. I just opened Ignatius Second Epistle to St. John, and found this little golden nugget. 

"And in like manner [I desire to see] the venerable James, who is surnamed Just, whom they relate to be very like Christ Jesus in appearance,4 in life, and in method of conduct, as if he were a twin-brother of the same womb. They say that, if I see him, I see also Jesus Himself, as to all the features and aspect of His body."

Pseudo-Ignatius of Antioch. (1885). A Second Epistle of Ignatius to St. John. In A. Roberts, J. Donaldson & A. C. Coxe (Eds.), The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Volume I: The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus (A. Roberts, J. Donaldson & A. C. Coxe, Ed.) (125). Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Company.

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS