Questionable "Bible Study Magazine" Ad

Page 1 of 7 (138 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 137 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 21 2012 5:30 PM

Why is this ad in "Bible Study" Magazine?

I just received my May / June 2012 copy of Bible Study. I typically like the ads. However, I found it odd that Logos would run the advertisement on page 39 - it's just plain ridiculous and contends that all other English translations are wrong. It also wasn't proof read properly - on the bottom of the ad it states that "Psychology Today" readers get a discount. I'm pretty sure that's supposed to say "Bible Study" readers.

I did some more research on this bible and here is just some of its claims. This translation says it “is the only complete Bible ever published that accurately follows the original God-inspired manuscript order of all the books of the Old And New Testaments.”

"God-inspired" manuscript order? Really? God-inspired the exact order of the books and all modern translations are in blasphemous error?

On it's Amazon page description it adds:

"Why another Bible? After the publication of the King James Version in 1611, the English Bible remained virtually unchanged. Beginning in the late 1800s, however, inferior Greek texts began to gain in popularity among scholars, from which sprang several corrupt translations. Over the decades, scores of such revised translations have been produced, collectively documenting the insidious corruption of the Word of God."

After reading the reviews I was even more shocked...apparently this translation is heavily altered to fit the theology of some guy named Fred Coulter and his ministries.

Thoughts?

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 6:07 PM

Looks like a "King James Bible only" advocate.

The serious question it raises is whether the text was inspired when the original authors wrote, or whether the text is inspired at a later time, when Theodore Beza's "received text" became the basis for the 1611 KJV. Clearly, the text as we know it in the 2nd-5th centuries is different than later centuries.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:00 PM

If you google Fred Coulter and go to his site, it's clearly cultic - some kind of offshoot of armstrongism. I wouldn't think that it should be getting advertising space.

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:00 PM

Ted Weis:

Looks like a "King James Bible only" advocate.

The serious question it raises is whether the text was inspired when the original authors wrote, or whether the text is inspired at a later time, when Theodore Beza's "received text" became the basis for the 1611 KJV. Clearly, the text as we know it in the 2nd-5th centuries is different than later centuries.

I was just surprised that Logos would include such an ad within their Magazine. In a way, it contrasts what Logos stands for.

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:02 PM

Dean053:

If you google Fred Coulter and go to his site, it's clearly cultic - some kind of offshoot of armstrongism. I wouldn't think that it should be getting advertising space.

Agreed. I wonder who approved this ad and whether they even did any research on it.

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:59 PM

It's for exactly this reason that I only use the KJV 1610--written at least a year before the serious errors began   Confused

Posts 26479
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 9:50 PM

Josh:
In a way, it contrasts what Logos stands for.

Logos, in my mind, stands for resources of interest to the serious Bible student - Bible being defined loosely as within the Judo-Christian tradition. As long as the advertizement relates to Bible study and is not slanderous, libelous or otherwise outside the norms of good taste, I would expect Logos to accept the ad.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 11:16 PM

MJ. Smith:

Josh:
In a way, it contrasts what Logos stands for.

Logos, in my mind, stands for resources of interest to the serious Bible student - Bible being defined loosely as within the Judo-Christian tradition. As long as the advertizement relates to Bible study and is not slanderous, libelous or otherwise outside the norms of good taste, I would expect Logos to accept the ad.

The key word in your whole comment is "serious". The advertisement is practically anti-bible study. The advertisement (and especially its product) explicitly state that my modern translations (NASB, NET, NIV, even NKJV) are unreliable and that they are arranged in an anti-God inspired manner. Hmmm....I would say that rests squarely outside any "norms of good tatse". The company is also openly, but indirectly, degrading Logos default Bible of choice: the ESV.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2012 1:06 AM

Josh, yours is a reasonable critique. You might want to email John Barry, Editor-in-Chief of Bible Study Magazine, about it. His email address is john@biblestudymagazine.com. He could explain the reasoning behind their choice, or correct it in the future if he agrees that it was in poor judgment to run the ad. At the very least, he can make sure they fix the "Psychology Today" glitch in it next time. My goodness!

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2012 6:39 AM

Rosie Perera:
At the very least, he can make sure they fix the "Psychology Today" glitch in it next time. My goodness!

Perhaps it is a "translation" for psychologists Hmm

Agree with Josh. This is not for serious Bible students.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2012 7:47 AM

So, he puts the Pauline Epistles after the other ones? Well, that certainly changes everything! I now have to reconsider my entire theology. Stick out tongue

Did you see about "Appendix L - A Summary of Proofs That God Is Not a Trinity"? Tongue Tied

But with supporters like this, who needs critics? Zip it!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2012 10:48 AM

On the Amazon reviews cited above by fgh, I especially appreciated the comment 'It should be advertised as the propaganda arm of the [name of a denomination]'. (I removed the name just to avoid accidentally knocking someone here). Well, there you go with the advertising.

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2012 8:23 PM

fgh:

So, he puts the Pauline Epistles after the other ones? Well, that certainly changes everything! I now have to reconsider my entire theology. Stick out tongue

Did you see about "Appendix L - A Summary of Proofs That God Is Not a Trinity"? Tongue Tied

But with supporters like this, who needs critics? Zip it!

That review is too funny scary!

Reviewer's quote: "The earth was originally created for Lucifer and the angels. When Lucifer rebelled, became Satan and took a third of the demons with him, he created ever more monstrous creatures--Tyrannosaurus Rexes, & the rest."

Satan created dinosaurs? lol

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 1:46 AM

Josh:

Reviewer's quote: "The earth was originally created for Lucifer and the angels. When Lucifer rebelled, became Satan and took a third of the demons with him, he created ever more monstrous creatures--Tyrannosaurus Rexes, & the rest."

Satan created dinosaurs? lol

I wonder if this will make it into Jurassic Park IV?

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 4:22 AM

$$$$$, the only thing that really matters in business.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 5:25 AM

I remember running into a White Supremacist a while back who just adored this bible. 

Seems like Logos is just trying to increase its demographic...Stick out tongue

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 6:15 AM

DMB:
'It should be advertised as the propaganda arm of the [name of a denomination]'. (I removed the name just to avoid accidentally knocking someone here).

Good call, especially for me as I belong to one of the denominations using that name and we would not go near this...

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 44
LogosEmployee
John D. Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 8:35 AM

Thank you for your feedback regarding the ad on page 38 of Bible Study Magazine May-June 2012. I'm glad to see you all discussing its contents and the publication it's advertising. It's our hope that all advertisements, and all content in our magazine for that matter, is discussed and debated. We encourage honest engagement with the Bible (and content about the Bible).

As far as our ad review process goes, it's probably best described as: "We don't agree with everything advertised in Bible Study Magazine." However, I don't let my views stand in the way of someone that wants to advertise their product--unless I, or our team, deems an ad to have the type of problems Rosie described. If you want to see our particular (editorial) views on subjects like this, check out our KJV 400 issue of Bible Study Magazine, which illustrates our understanding of translation process: http://www.logos.com/product/9405/bible-study-magazine-jan-feb-2011-issue

Thanks again for your feedback and engagement.

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:28 AM

Dennis Miller:

$$$, the only thing that really matters in business.

Like I said!!!!  They'll print any ad that brings in the revenue. Can't wait to see the first biblical condom ads, the ones the with bible verses printed on them. I wonder if they would include Genesis 9:7 - "As for you, be fruitful and multiply; Populate the earth abundantly and multiply in it."

Posts 556
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:52 AM

Maybe it will take some people cancelling their subscription to the magazine. 

I have thought about ordering it but not now or as long as thesetypes of ads are bein g placed in it.

Page 1 of 7 (138 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS