My wife and I have agreed to purchasing Logos Bible software for Christmas for each other.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Carey Hendsbee | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:37 PM

My wife and I have agreed to purchasing Logos Bible software for Christmas for each other.

Which package would be right?

Is there a matrix of included books per each bundle?  I don't want to get caught wanting that volume I didn't purchase.  I'm willing to spend for a tool that helps uncover truths that are life changing, when I've bought other tools that are work related for big paper.

Can we share a package?

We have mostly PCs at home, but we do have Mac systems as well.

Which version should we consider?  I see the Mac ver is in alpha.

I use a laptop primarily, however I might use the system she uses on occasion.  Is this networkable?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:44 PM

Well, the answer to that depends on a lot of things, like what you'll be using it for. I put together an excel sheet that may help you make your decision. You can filter out a package to the books that are in that package.

http://www.nplainfieldbaptist.org/Files/L4ExcelComparisonChart.zip

Posts 6
Carey Hendsbee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:48 PM

Thanks, I will examine it...

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:54 PM

Carey Hendsbee:

Which package would be right?

That depends on what you want to do, and how in-depth you really want to go. Do you want to look at the original languages? Do you want a pile of commentaries? Do you just want a few good Bibles and a few good commentaries?

Carey Hendsbee:
Is there a matrix of included books per each bundle?  I don't want to get caught wanting that volume I didn't purchase.  I'm willing to spend for a tool that helps uncover truths that are life changing, when I've bought other tools that are work related for big paper.

A comparison of all the packages can be found on this page:

http://www.logos.com/comparison

If you're missing just one or two books, search Logos.com for those books to see if they can be purchased separately for less than the price of upgrading to the next 'level.'

Carey Hendsbee:
Can we share a package?

The EULA states that the license is 'per person.' Bob has said, in these forums, that he doesn't want to get too legalistic about a husband and wife sharing use of Logos.

Carey Hendsbee:

The Mac system is still in development. And holds a lot of promise. The PC version is also still in development but is much, much farther along. If you want to start using the program on Christmas day, I'd recommend the PC version.

Carey Hendsbee:
I use a laptop primarily, however I might use the system she uses on occasion.  Is this networkable?

The EULA gives a license to an individual (not to a computer). You may install your personal copy of Logos4 on as many computers as you want, but there can be only one user of the software (but see my summary of Bob's comment above).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:59 PM

Hi Carey,

I'll venture an answer to your questions...

Carey Hendsbee:
Which package would be right? Is there a matrix of included books per each bundle? 

As far as which package would be right, that depends on what you will use it for... the matrix of included books in each bundle should help you decide. It's at:
http://www.logos.com/comparison 

Carey Hendsbee:
Can we share a package?

As I understand Logos' policy, the answer would be 'No.' It's licensed to a single user. And as I understand Bob's explanation of their policy on the forums, it's ok to install Logos on as many machines as YOU use, since you would only be using one of them at a time. But when it comes to sharing a license, I understand him as saying that's outside the bounds of what they intend the license to cover. Bob reads the forums, & if I've misrepresented their position I hope they'll chime in. (My wife would like to use mine, too. We can't afford a 2nd copy.)

Carey Hendsbee:

I'd suggest getting real work done on the PC version, but participate in the Mac alpha/beta process. When it's ready there, you'll know. I don't know if Logos plans to give their alpha/beta testers a free crossgrade to the Mac package they've purchased, or if that would also apply if you bought the PC version. But their past generosity is cause for hope...

Carey Hendsbee:
Is this networkable?

In a way. When you're logged in as that single user, your licenses, books, etc., are all auto-synchronized for you. Get it right on the 1st system, & it should replicate. I don't know if this will apply cross platform (PC to Mac & vice versa). Others more knowledgeable than I may know.

Blessings to you both!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1162
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:33 PM

I believe the EULA is based on Genesis 2:23-24. That should cover any concerns you have. (Pun intended).

Tom

Posts 1
D | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:48 PM

I just talked with someone from logos and they said that the DVD's are in dual platform and will work for wither PC's or MACs. There will be no extra charge for moving from a pc to a mac

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:16 PM

For questions about licensing read this.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/341/3265.aspx#3265

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 6:16 PM

Carey Hendsbee:

When you purchase L4 you are licensed for both Mac and Windows. Use the Windows version for serious  Bible study and participate in the Alpha program on the Mac to help build a solid application. Bob P has promised some cool Mac features. 

Jack

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 6:57 PM

JackCaviness:
Bob P has promised some cool Mac features. 

And after what the MAC side is going through, they deserve it!

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 3:28 AM

Philip Spitzer:

JackCaviness:
Bob P has promised some cool Mac features. 

And after what the MAC side is going through, they deserve it!

What? Are we going through something especially difficult? I thought Logos was attempting to build item 4 of the Fruit of the Spirit in Mac users Geeked.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS