Theology/Denomination Tags

Page 25 of 30 (588 items) « First ... < Previous 23 24 25 26 27 Next > ... Last »
This post has 587 Replies | 39 Followers

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 7:46 PM

Firstly I don't understand why I have been singled out. Its not my thread, I just happened to be the last person to post in it.

Secondly, I hope the "hot head who demands to have his or her way" line isn't directed at me because if so, it lies in stark contrast to your claim to desire unity.

Thirdly, the point of this thread is not to cause division, rather, its purpose is to help find hand holds whereupon those who are studying can know at a glance what bias the writer is going to have.

Finally, may you be richly blessed by our Lord and Savior.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 802
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 9:10 PM

Well said, abondservant.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 10:09 PM

Lew Worthington:

Well said, abondservant.

thank you sir!

Also can we tag Bruce Longenecker as Baptist? He teaches at the baptist baylor university. I also guess he's not a calvinist as he's a wheaton graduate. They tend to be arminean to 4 points as I recall. I have at least one title by him in my "uncollected" collection.

I have a title by "Anthony Hoekma" who is dutch reformed, and thus also a calvinist (if we are tracking such things).

http://www.theopedia.com/anthony-hoekema

J. Robertson McQuilken - former president of a number of multi or interdenominational institutions including most recently CIU. He's non-denominational.
http://www.ciu.edu/robertson-mcquilkin

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 257
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 9:40 AM

Very interesting post the last couple of days. I think it is an okay practice to categorize as long we remember that just because someone teaches at a particular institution with a stated doctrinal position, that does not always indicate the doctrinal position of the person affiliated with said institution. I was disappointed when I found this to be the case. However, now that I have known professors, scholars, ministry participants that are cross-doctrinal, given our modern day penchant  for labels, having denominational positioning that is able to see and comprehend different conclusions to be very useful when sharing truth. I have learned that for me there is always more truth in the truth than the truth I know.

Posts 802
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 10:17 AM

Claude Brown Jr:

I have learned that for me there is always more truth in the truth than the truth I know.

Yes

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 11:02 AM

Apologies for the delay in updating the spreadsheet. The latest edition is: 2570.Denominations and Theology - 25 October 2015.zip

The reference guide is unchanged: 4426.Theology and Denomination Tag Reference.doc

There are 265 more authors categorised and 382 more authors with countries listed.  I'll keep working on the rest when I get time.  Feel free to make suggestions, corrections, etc. and I'll try to add them as soon as I can.  The Faithlife Group (https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/about) is continuing to grow slowly, and I've updated all the collections available there.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 11:16 AM

abondservant:

Also can we tag Bruce Longenecker as Baptist? He teaches at the baptist baylor university. I also guess he's not a calvinist as he's a wheaton graduate. They tend to be arminean to 4 points as I recall. I have at least one title by him in my "uncollected" collection.

I have a title by "Anthony Hoekma" who is dutch reformed, and thus also a calvinist (if we are tracking such things).

http://www.theopedia.com/anthony-hoekema

J. Robertson McQuilken - former president of a number of multi or interdenominational institutions including most recently CIU. He's non-denominational.
http://www.ciu.edu/robertson-mcquilkin

Thanks again, abs.  As Claude Brown points out, we need to be careful about the evidence we use to categorise.  I'm not sure that Bruce Longenecker is necessarily Baptist because he teaches at Baylor, or Arminian because he studied at Wheaton.  If there's other evidence, then I'd be happy to consider it.  His other teaching posts (at Durham, Cambridge and St Andrews) do not suggest Baptist, or any other denomination.  I think it's safe to add him as an Evangelical, at least, so that's what I've done for now.

Anthony Hoekema is indeed a Calvinist in the Christian Reformed Church in N America, which is in the Dutch Reformed tradition (see the first tab of the spreadsheet or the Wikipedia page).  He should already be marked in this way.

J. Robertson McQuilkin is Evangelical.  Only organisations are listed as non-denominational in the spreadsheet.

Feel free to come back with questions if you disagree. Smile

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 1:29 PM

Andrew Baguley:
The Faithlife Group (https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/about) is continuing to grow slowly, and I've updated all the collections available there

I forgot if these update in everyone's library automatically or not. Will these updates appear in our copies of the collections or do we have to redownload the collection document?

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 1:38 PM

James Taylor:

Andrew Baguley:
The Faithlife Group (https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/about) is continuing to grow slowly, and I've updated all the collections available there

I forgot if these update in everyone's library automatically or not. Will these updates appear in our copies of the collections or do we have to redownload the collection document?

Go to the Faithlife group Technology/Denomination tags, click on Documents, and you'll see a list of documents new to old. Most if not all are Resource Collections, and they show when they were updated. There are a bunch from 2 days ago when Andrew did them. Click on a title, it opens a new window and should show "Your copy is out of date" with a get update button. Click the get update button and wait for the text to change to your copy is up to date. Then close that window/tab and go to the next title until you hit the older documents or until you open one that already shows your copy is up to date. Your next sync will update these collections in your desktop version.

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:02 PM

Thanks Don 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 8:12 AM

Don Awalt:

James Taylor:

Andrew Baguley:

Go to the Faithlife group Technology/Denomination tags, click on Documents, and you'll see a list of documents new to old. Most if not all are Resource Collections, and they show when they were updated. There are a bunch from 2 days ago when Andrew did them. Click on a title, it opens a new window and should show "Your copy is out of date" with a get update button. Click the get update button and wait for the text to change to your copy is up to date. Then close that window/tab and go to the next title until you hit the older documents or until you open one that already shows your copy is up to date. Your next sync will update these collections in your desktop version.

I had a surprising number of these that were out of date. Thanks for the reminder!

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 9:26 AM

abondservant:

Don Awalt:

I had a surprising number of these that were out of date. Thanks for the reminder!

An earlier post (I suspect years ago now) suggested that the collections updated automatically for people when I updated them, so this is what the reference document shows.  From what you have written, it looks like this is untrue and each user needs to update each collection after I post an update.  Can you confirm whether this is the case?

Thanks.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 9:41 AM

I have never seen them update automatically, not sure if there is another way to set that up in the document. How do you get the documents up there, make a private copy? It might only update automatically if the action use is Collaborate, but of course that lets anyone modify it which would lose control over the set...

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 10:42 AM

Confirmed that there were many that were not updated automatically, some even that you had last updated last year!

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 11:09 AM

Thanks.  I'll update the reference document.

Hopefully that brought your uncategorised count down, abs.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 7:25 PM

Andrew Baguley:

Thanks.  I'll update the reference document.

Hopefully that brought your uncategorised count down, abs.

Brought my count down by about 4-500.

Roy Zuck doesn't seem to be categorized?
He's dispensational, and attended a bible church that is now called firewheel - an interdenominational evangelical church.

Posts 2378
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 8:55 PM

Here's one more that's still missing:

John D. Castelein - Restoration Movement / Churches of Christ (a denomination generally not well covered on the list yet...)

Another thing - would it make sense to open a request on Logos user voice to integrate this project into the actual Logos application? It might be quite successful.

I did create a User Voice request to include all marketing tags (denomination, language, hierarchy by topic) in the Logos app some time ago, but I think this list here is more precise for denominations than the Logos marketing tags.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 10:15 PM

I created another collection just so I could focus on commentaries. It seems there is some kind of arbitrary limit on the number of arguments, or collections, or tags that can be excluded.

So that number above may not be accurate. I may not be able to use this method to fully exclude all of the titles that have been included in other collections.

Not sure if this is a glitch with the current beta or not, but I'll post in the beta forum and see if I can't get some smart folks looking at my collections and see what I've done wrong, or if they can fix the wall I'm running into.

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 3:08 AM

MJ,

Your personal Chart is interesting. Do you think Logos can do this with its entire book holdings?  

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 8:54 AM

abondservant:

I created another collection just so I could focus on commentaries. It seems there is some kind of arbitrary limit on the number of arguments, or collections, or tags that can be excluded.

So that number above may not be accurate. I may not be able to use this method to fully exclude all of the titles that have been included in other collections.

Not sure if this is a glitch with the current beta or not, but I'll post in the beta forum and see if I can't get some smart folks looking at my collections and see what I've done wrong, or if they can fix the wall I'm running into.

As you can see, titles on Hosea (and other books) are showing up despite being excluded. You can follow the thread in the beta forum here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/118129/775595.aspx#775595

Update: This seems to be a combination issue of incorect syntax on my part, and metadata...

Page 25 of 30 (588 items) « First ... < Previous 23 24 25 26 27 Next > ... Last » | RSS