Notes on passages ...or missing the obvious (I hope)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 34415
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:48 AM

Okay I feel cornered. I want to do something quite simple: put a number of notes on a reference independent on translation.

1. If I use a note file and chose the reference option, I can only give the starting verse to the note. To attach to a longer passage, I have to use a selection option which ties it to a particular text.

2. If I use a note on the passage, I appear to be limited to a single note

I don't believe that Logos 4 doesn't allow me to add multiple notes to a reference - I much prefer to believe that I am somehow missing the obvious.  Can somebody please tell me what that obvious is?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:35 AM

Martha, Martha, you are worried about many notes but only one is needed.  Logos has chosen what you need and it will not be taken away from them.

Sorry, to state the obvious but you're not missing anything.  You cannot attach a note to a pericope of your choosing, though I dearly wish I could.  Nor can we add more than one independent note to a passage as far as I can tell.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:37 AM

If you have two note files you can reference the same verse, I've done it before when I was playing around with the program.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 7:54 AM

I think I'm the one missing something obvious. So you are not talking about being able to do what I've done below? how does what you are asking differ?

Posts 34415
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 12:30 PM

I want a range of verses not a single verse. So far, I've only been able to do a range of verses if I attach the note to a selection. Selections attached to a particular text not to the reference across all translations. I normally "run" with three translations (1) the translation used by the lectionary for a particular church in a particular country (2) the translation I consider best for study purposes and (3) the translation I consider best (at the moment) for devotional purposes.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 34415
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 12:35 PM

Thomas Black:

Martha, Martha, you are worried about many notes but only one is needed.  Logos has chosen what you need and it will not be taken away from them.

Sorry, to state the obvious but you're not missing anything.  You cannot attach a note to a pericope of your choosing, though I dearly wish I could.  Nor can we add more than one independent note to a passage as far as I can tell.

I love the style in which you break the bad news. ... I do hope that Logos recognizes that their statistics reflect what I can do not what I want to do - some elements force me away from using Logos. I don't mind it on diagrams but on such a basic note function?

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 12:56 PM

Couldn't you just do what Philip has done and then under the Ephesians 6:1 reference in the note file simply type "6:1-3" and then your note (or something along those lines) so that you know the note pertains to more than just the first verse?

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 34415
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:26 PM

I need to play with that possibility in terms of how it functions with "My Content" but it is a possible workaround.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 7:51 PM

MJ. Smith:

I want a range of verses not a single verse. So far, I've only been able to do a range of verses if I attach the note to a selection. Selections attached to a particular text not to the reference across all translations. I normally "run" with three translations (1) the translation used by the lectionary for a particular church in a particular country (2) the translation I consider best for study purposes and (3) the translation I consider best (at the moment) for devotional purposes.

I can see where this might be valuable. I would recommend a system where you attached a note to the first verse in the range, then clicked on the title section of the note to change it to a range.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS