Logos 5 for Mac is OUT

Page 2 of 4 (77 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 76 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 31
Len Calhoun | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 10:57 PM

Thanks.  It's just strange going from "silver" to 2 notches below- "starter."  Also- with over 700 books already purchased (old silver)- how on earth could I discern if I still "have" them all?  Looking for some assurance here.  But I think I'll take the leap.  

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:02 PM

Leonard Calhoun:

Thanks.  It's just strange going from "silver" to 2 notches below- "starter."  Also- with over 700 books already purchased (old silver)- how on earth could I discern if I still "have" them all?  Looking for some assurance here.  But I think I'll take the leap.  

Well you could always check your Library count by clicking the Library icon and looking at the greyed out number before you type anything.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:36 PM

Dan Francis:
I decided to take a leap… I looked at the options and found i could purchase the starter upgrade for a little over $50, all I can say Logos has finally released a stable mac app. 

You realize you probably paid almost as much as the crossgrade will cost, while getting almost none of the new databases/features? Essentially, all you got was the free engine plus some books you probably don't want. I can get the Starter upgrade for $25.81, but I still don't consider it worth the price. I'm hoping for a good upgrade to the Catholic packages, otherwise I'll go with the crossgrade, which will be much more worth the price.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:39 PM

Leonard Calhoun:
It's just strange going from "silver" to 2 notches below- "starter."

Why would you want to do that? Much better to wait for the crossgrade. See my post above.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:11 AM

I'm sorry but, I still do not understand.

I have a pretty large library, I have the scholars library and added the Catholic collections and many other titles and packages.

Have a lot of money tied up.

The options showing for me start at over 500.00 and are mostly titles i already have or, a bunch of titles i have absolutely no use for at all.

Why would I want to spend 500.00 or more just to get what I have already paid for to work properly.

Cross grade? I don't understand.

Cross-grade from what , to what?

Would gladly pay a small fee to upgrade to Version 5 software, 30.00 bucks or so for handling, perhaps 50.00.

Just need Logos to work as it was advertised to me when I first bought. To this day, I still have not received the software that was advertised and I have been patient.

Perhaps I am a stick in the mud, perhaps I am dense.

Web-site says nothing about upgrading from version 4 to version 5 for small fee. They are just trying to sell me more resources that are not useful to me.

Not trying to be obstinate here, just really confused about Logos intentions and my options.

Will NOT give Logos any more money for resources until they finally give me what I ALREADY paid them for.

I don't think I am wrong in this, but certainly willing to be shown the error of my ways if I am wrong.

What am I missing on the web-site and options here? 

Thanks so much.

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:25 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Cross grade? I don't understand.

Cross-grade from what , to what?

Would gladly pay a small fee to upgrade to Version 5 software, 30.00 bucks or so for handling, perhaps 50.00.

That's exactly what a crossgrade would do: it will give you the free engine plus the databases etc to enjoy the new functionality.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:26 AM

The Minimal Crossgrade Package - once it's available - should give you access only those essential resources, databases, etc. that you will need to make your current library work with Logos 5 with all its new functionality.  Essentially, you're not buying extra resources which you don't need to make Logos 5 work, like you would do if you bought one of the new base packages.  

Check out this attachment - this is the Minimal Crossgrade package Logos released to help people upgrade from Logos 3 to Logos 4. ***DISCLAIMER Smile*** Whilst any Logos 5 MiniMal Crossgrade package will be different, this might give you a little idea of what to expect when Logos finally do release the Logos 5 Crossgrade package.  

7762.L4_Min_Crossgrade.pdf

I haven't seen any indication of when the Minimal Crossgrade Package will be made available (only once the "introductory period" for Logos 5 ends ( - whatever that means...)) or how much it will cost.  I guess we'll just have to be patient, and watch this space.

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:28 AM

Paul, 

the L4 Crossgrade page is still up: http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:32 AM

NB.Mick:

Paul, 

the L4 Crossgrade page is still up: http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade

Thanks Mick - I know.  I made a pdf of the page just in case it was pulled for any reason!

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:22 AM

OK - so the 600lbs gorilla in the room for me is this. I love Logos, but all you have to do is browse this forum to see that the MAC version has been buggy, lacked feature parity, and even many of the features promised never materialized. Crashes, data loss and other problems have been met with "Please send us your log files and we will see what we can do." Now we have an entirely new version (5). For me the "upgrade" is over $600 to move from Platinum 5 to Platinum 5 after spending thousands of dollars over the years.

So here is my question - how do we know with certainty that the MAC version works and has the same features being promoted? We were told we would reach feature parity before. We didn't. We were told we were buying a stable finished MAC product. Arguably, we weren't. 

Will my $600 upgrade finally get me a MAC product that works and is the same feature rich tool I had on Windows?

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:32 AM

Michael Hite:

So here is my question - how do we know with certainty that the MAC version works and has the same features being promoted? We were told we would reach feature parity before. We didn't. We were told we were buying a stable finished MAC product. Arguably, we weren't. 

Will my $600 upgrade finally get me a MAC product that works and is the same feature rich tool I had on Windows?

Michael, I'm not a MAC guy but a few of the MVP's are. Here is what I KNOW.

• Every new feature in L5 is working on both platforms.
  • There remain a few of the old L4 issues to clean up, except handouts which are deprecated.

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:46 AM

TCBlack:
There remain a few of the old L4 issues to clean up, except handouts which are deprecated.

Now there is my concern.

PLEASE understand me. I teach a full course on Logos and have gotten the school where teach to require it for all students. I LOVE LOGOS! But more and more of my students are MAC users - and many have had ongoing issues since the bought it. With "a few things left to clean up" what are those things? 

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:50 AM

Michael Hite:
With "a few things left to clean up" what are those things? 
I'm afraid one of our MAC MVP's will have to answer that. (Or a programmer.)

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:57 AM

I found this from KS4J:

Wiki has list of know feature parity issues => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_and_PC_User_Interface_Differences#Feature_Parity that reduced when Logos 4.6a was released.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:09 AM

Michael Hite:

OK - so the 600lbs gorilla in the room for me is this. I love Logos, but all you have to do is browse this forum to see that the MAC version has been buggy, lacked feature parity, and even many of the features promised never materialized. Crashes, data loss and other problems have been met with "Please send us your log files and we will see what we can do." Now we have an entirely new version (5). For me the "upgrade" is over $600 to move from Platinum 5 to Platinum 5 after spending thousands of dollars over the years.

If you look, you will see many of those posts are from me.  L4 was a mess to the end.  L5 does solve most of those problems for me.  You can watch it in action in my video http://www.morethancake.org/archives/5580

Maybe that will give you some help in your upcoming decision.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:45 AM

fgh:

Dan Francis:
I decided to take a leap… I looked at the options and found i could purchase the starter upgrade for a little over $50, all I can say Logos has finally released a stable mac app. 

You realize you probably paid almost as much as the crossgrade will cost, while getting almost none of the new databases/features? Essentially, all you got was the free engine plus some books you probably don't want. I can get the Starter upgrade for $25.81, but I still don't consider it worth the price. I'm hoping for a good upgrade to the Catholic packages, otherwise I'll go with the crossgrade, which will be much more worth the price.

Perhaps i didm;t understand things close enough…. I do have the catholic scholars package already, I just assumed all base databases would be included the sameway 4 included all base databases. After the dust settles I can always call customer service and straighten things out but for now I have a logos that works smoother for me for not too much money.

-Dan

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:44 PM

Joe Miller:

f you look, you will see many of those posts are from me.  L4 was a mess to the end.  L5 does solve most of those problems for me.  You can watch it in action in my video http://www.morethancake.org/archives/5580

Maybe that will give you some help in your upcoming decision.

Thanks Joe - I actually found your video yesterday - it was very helpful. I remain the perpetual optimist as I think LOGOS is the best product of its kind on the market. I look forward to the new features and maybe even some repaired older ones ;)

Posts 16
Mike Singer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:32 PM

It is pretty uncool that people have have to pay $$$$$  forced upgrade if they just bought their software let alone buggy Logos 4 software - This was foreseeable ( reason why I held off from buying......)

Someone very wise one said "do unto others as you would like them to doing to you"  (for they surely will).

Real "Christian Disciples of Jesus" are noble and "show class" in their conduct -  this cannot be denied.

Shalom

Posts 30484
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:55 PM

Mike Singer:
It is pretty uncool that people have have to pay $$$  forced upgrade

Who is being forced to upgrade? I think you have misunderstood something along the line. Read Bob's post HERE.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:41 PM

Logos 5 for the Mac has full screen support, which works nicely on OS X 10.8.2

Logos 5 has substantial feature parity between Mac and PC.

New Logos 5 features have parity between Mac and PC.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 4 (77 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS