My Logos 5 program is very slow

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 6 2014 8:52 AM

+PAX

Greetings all!

I've had this problem for a while now... a LONG while. And I finally decided to try and do something about it. The main motivation factor was watching some of the Practicum videos. There, everything seems to work very quickly.

Logos 5 (Verbum for me) is crazy slow. Insanely slow. It's slow opening the program, it's slow starting a passage guide from the Go box. It's slow opening the library. It's slow opening a single book from the library. Everything about it slow.

Why? What can be done about it? I'm in the process of trying a complete index re-build.

I've got about 3'500 resources. MacBookPro 2.8GHz intel core i7, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram.

Many thanks!

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 6 2014 10:25 AM

Bost your memory to 8GB it will help a lot. Also is your MBP using a conventional HD or SSD, the solid state drive makes all the difference with logos I find.

-Dan

Posts 10714
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 6 2014 1:57 PM

In addition to Dan's comments, your MBP probably came with a 5400RPM hard drive, which will also slow things down considerably.

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 6 2014 11:27 PM

+PAX

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the duplicate post in another thread. I wasn't sure where to start.

I'm running Mavericks, 10.9.1, SATA disk, 404.54 GB free out of 750. And, it would appear that it's a 5400 RPM.

So, is really the only solution a $200 RAM upgrade? Kinda expensive...

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 6 2014 11:38 PM

+PAX

Sorry. I should have tried opening the program before my other reply.

The index is now rebuilt. The computer was off all night, as it usually is. I started it up this morning and reset the P-RAM. Started Logos, holding the cmd key, as I've seen elsewhere, and used a blank layout. Seemed to start just fine. Then I clicked the home icon, and the same thing. The home screen takes a long time to load. Perhaps shorter than before.

I just tried opening a saved layout. Not fast, but seems quicker than before. Perhaps the index rebuild was a good idea.

But I'm certainly opening, and hoping for other suggestions. If there are any!  :)

Posts 10714
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2014 3:56 AM

Br. David:
The home screen takes a long time to load.

That is always true. Even on a fast machine this is the slowest operation.

Br. David:
Started Logos, holding the cmd key, as I've seen elsewhere, and used a blank layout.

That advice is usually given to eliminate a corrupted layout or a resource within a layout as the cause of a problem.

Br. David:
Perhaps the index rebuild was a good idea.

Perhaps. If it has improved performance, then it was definitely a good idea.

Br. David:
 So, is really the only solution a $200 RAM upgrade? Kinda expensive...

Still the cheapest upgrade available—and that applies to more than just Logos.

Posts 10546
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2014 4:20 AM

Br. David:

But I'm certainly opening, and hoping for other suggestions. If there are any!  :)

David,

in reading the above posts by Dan and Jack, I rather thought they advised going for a SSD more than buying additional RAM. Of course, doing both is potentially best, but you already have 4GB and a fast processor.

I come from a very different corner than you - slow Windows PC instead of fast Mac - thus take my advice with some more grains of salt (i.e. more like you're securing the driveway in frost than like you're eating scambled eggs). That said: upgrading my HD to a SSD has really done wonders for me. I can work on my machine even while it is indexing - which was absolutely impossible before.

You can read a lot of experiences here in the forums, many from Mac users, and all share the same. So if you were to put $200 onto some hardware, make it a SSD - I'm not even sure if 8GB instead of 4GB really gives much improvement other than keeping non-Logos apps from eating memory Logos could use.

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 22 2014 1:25 AM

+PAX

Greetings all. Many thanks for the suggestions. Re-indexing really seemed to do the trick. Although it appears that now after some trial time, it's something that'll need to be done every-so-often.

For anyone else who has this issue, re-booting your mac with CMD-R, and running a disk repair is also a fabulous thing to try!

God bless!

Posts 36
DeWayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 22 2014 11:33 AM

Br. David,

It is not your Macbook Pro trust me...

I have the same exact one with 8 GB of ram.

It has to do with "all" your guides.  Each section has to be collapsed, except for one specific area on each one.

Also in your "program preference", you'll need to to set both the Show Bookmarks (both) and Show Notification Bar to "NO".

Also turn off Play Sounds.

I learned this on the Logos Bundle 5 training on LearnLogos.com the other day. I have to say this training has really allowed me to start harnessing the power of Logos 5 and I'm newbie.  The training is very cheap and you'll learn how to optimize the app one the first dvd... It is really amazing quick easy training...

Posts 10714
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 22 2014 12:49 PM

DeWayne Whitaker:
It has to do with "all" your guides.  Each section has to be collapsed, except for one specific area on each one.

This one will make a huge difference in speed.

DeWayne Whitaker:
Also in your "program preference", you'll need to to set both the Show Bookmarks (both) and Show Notification Bar to "NO".

Now sure how useful this one is. Set show bookmarks to no long ago because they were annoying. Notifications are set to Yes, and I have no speed issues.

DeWayne Whitaker:
LearnLogos.com

Useful resource

Posts 1
Jared Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 7:32 AM

Greetings all, 
I'm reading about how most people are suggesting to upgrade RAM or switch to a SSD, but I really don't think this is a hardware issue. 

Whenever I open up Logos, it takes maybe 30 seconds to load, and then there is a couple second delay when opening the library, opening a book, or even turning on the Greek Lexicon.  My Mac is running OS 10.9 and I have 16 gigs of RAM with a quad-core i7 and an SSD, so my machine is fully upgraded.  Yet, I have numerous friends who use Logos with only 4 gigs of ram and an i5 and it runs flawlessly.  

All that to say that upgrading your machine may help a little, but there is definitely a software issue.

Godspeed!

Posts 25570
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 12:34 PM

Jared Smith:
but there is definitely a software issue.

I would have to agree that it could be OS 10.9Sad because Logos definitely responds to an SSD and an i7, and is relatively impervious to RAM over 4 GB (being 32-bit the extra RAM benefits multi-tasking). If not OS 10.9 then it has to be hardware/motherboard/RAM timing. I have 4 GB, SSD, first generation i5 and Logos loads faster than your machine with imperceptible lag when opening resource panels or Library.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 14
Christian Dyssegaard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 10 2014 12:45 AM

I totally agree with Jared and Dave. I have a PC and a tablet, both with W8.1, I installed Logos on both (not the app). My PC has an i5 and my tablet has an Atom processor, and my tablet is surprising in its speed compared to my i5 while both are very slow in general.

Posts 8
Rob Y | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 6:32 AM

I agree with the latter posters. I have never had a problem but have noticed since the past Logos updates an absolute lag. At times it a disaster as I try and scroll through a resource I receive the rainbow wheel of slowness.... It is quite annoying especially when you are hastily trying to work through papers.. *sigh...

Posts 28223
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 7:29 AM

Robert Yule:
I agree with the latter posters. I have never had a problem but have noticed since the past Logos updates an absolute lag.

This thread was originally created in 2012! The issue you are experiencing has nothing to do with whatever the original issue may have been. Please:

1. Create a new thread.
  2. Explain your issue.
  3. Give appropriate details (including app version, os, computer specs, etc.)
  4. Enable and post logs. If you are on mac (which is the platform for the original post), see my signature line

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 4:11 AM
  1. Logos, on any platform, is not a speed demon to start with. Obviously people don't buy it for speed but for the books and the value-add of the platform.
  2. Logos Mac suffers in relation to Logos Windows because Logos is, essentially, a Windows app ported to OS X using a extra (performance affecting) translation layer. Mac users don't like it but... see point 1.
  3. On a reasonably modern platform Logos performance should be acceptable, but again not blazingly fast.
  4. Logos does not — yet — take full (some would say proper) advantage of CPU and/or Mac specific technologies, it is only a 32 bit application on both Windows and the Mac. But Logos say things are changing.
  5. If you want more performance from Logos the single most effective thing you can do is speed up your hard disk (disk access speed), and the best way to do that is to use an SSD drive.

HTH.

BTW for the OP, Alabama is right, if you have a specific performance problem, which could be down to many things, the best thing to do is start a new specific question thread and post logs.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 7
symonsster | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 22 2014 1:10 AM

Looking at Logos 5, I am running a MPB, I7 2.7, 8GB ram, SSD drive and my opening layouts are a blank page... I have Logos Gold and I must say that the performance of logos is very slow. When comparing to other programs such as Accordance or OliveTree it doesn't even compare, they seem to be able to snap to books, pages and libraries without thinking... It is rather a disappointment as my library is in Logos and simple tasks take a long time. If logos could streamline things instead of using a port and using 64bit that would be a great blessing! As well it seems like every other week I am getting a new software update of 130mb, and yet performance never seems to change...

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 22 2014 1:24 AM

Dave:
Looking at Logos 5, I am running a MPB, I7 2.7, 8GB ram, SSD drive and my opening layouts are a blank page... I have Logos Gold and I must say that the performance of logos is very slow. When comparing to other programs such as Accordance or OliveTree it doesn't even compare, they seem to be able to snap to books, pages and libraries without thinking... It is rather a disappointment as my library is in Logos and simple tasks take a long time. If logos could streamline things instead of using a port and using 64bit that would be a great blessing! As well it seems like every other week I am getting a new software update of 130mb, and yet performance never seems to change...

64-bit is coming in version 5.3 (probably in a few months).

There are things you can do to speed Logos up. On your spec machine it shouldn't be slow (although as others have said, it will probably never be fast). If you want specific help in speeding things up, start a new thread and explain what you find particuarly slow. There may be some simple configuration/behaviour changes that you could implement.

Posts 7
symonsster | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 22 2014 2:54 AM

Mark,

I really appreciate the feedback greatly and the sounds of 64-bit sounds very good! To my knowledge I have configured it to be as quick as possible, from not indexing on startup to opening on a blank page layout, etc.. I can run every other program quick, including Photoshop and do picture/video/graphic design without the computer blinking but when running logos it seems sluggish. 64-bit sounds great!! Is there a rewrite coming to logos that is not a port from the windows application??

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 22 2014 4:23 AM

Dave:
I have configured it to be as quick as possible

There are all sorts of little things that can slow down Logos, for example linking between panels, visual filters, leaving the information tool open, etc. Then there's little things we can do to speed things up, such as creating custom guides that exclude sections we don't use. I don't think there's a golden bullet for you, but it's possible that slightly changing how you use Logos might give you some small speed increases.

Dave:
Is there a rewrite coming to logos that is not a port from the windows application??

I think the developers would say that it's not a port, but rather than both applications share much of the same code. I'm sure there will continue to be platform-specific optimisations in the future.

Here are two posts from Logos staff that explain the position re: the Mac. Bear in mind that they're quite old now (the comments, not the staff!), but I think nearly all what was said still applies: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/12648/99060.aspx#99060 

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS