New on CP--Targums and Syriac versions in English!

Page 1 of 4 (67 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 66 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 4 2013 9:53 PM

Yes, now in CP, you heard it right:

https://www.logos.com/product/30594/early-bible-translations-collection

Go place your bids!

Posts 5647
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 11:35 PM

Done! Big Smile

I bet we're reading this bad boy before summer is over!! Yes

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 1:08 AM

Bid placed - thanks for the info!

Posts 36330
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 1:37 AM

David Paul:

As long as you haven't specified the year, the odds are so great that you are correct that I feel for anyone who takes you up on thisBig Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 3:50 AM

I'm in!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:14 AM

Me too.

Posts 898
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I'm in for $40!

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:03 PM

David Paul:

Done! Big Smile

at about 15% or so after less than a day!

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:48 PM

In at $20.  I'm usually a ~$1 per 1 book/volume kind of guy when it comes to CP.  Wink

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2013 5:54 AM

Robert Wazlavek:

In at $20.  I'm usually a ~$1 per 1 book/volume kind of guy when it comes to CP.  Wink

Bibles, dictionaries, and anything including non-Latin script cost a lot more to produce than a simple monograph. So either we bid higher for those, or we find a lot more bidders.Wink

In this case, given how hard I pushed Logos to move it over to CP, I would really appreciate if it reached the 44% it had at prepub as fast as possible, so that I don't have to blush for having stated so unequivocally that it would move faster at CP.Big Smile

Early Bible Translations Collection (15 vols.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2013 9:42 AM

anyone want to venture a guess as to how long before it reaches 44%?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:39 AM

Three observatons:

- The 'fall-off' on the graph, as the CP price drops, seems to suggest the bidders are spread out right now (and might consolidate later)

- I'd suspect there's a lot of 'set and forget' pre-pub people that won't notice for a while that it converted (Logos notified? Didn't?)

- The pre-pub at $190/customer is almost 5 times the $40 CP. I'd suspect Logos folks knew there'd have to be a pretty solid re-set.

My guess is this will have to settle out a little, and then we need to publicize later again.  

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2013 7:11 PM

It's looking good and will probably continue to move consistently up (I hope). I think if it can continue its gradual rise, and then receive some official advertisement via the homepage in a few weeks or months, that it might get enough traction to at least get above the 44% within a reasonable amount of time. 

Possibly it's too highly priced right now--$40 is very reasonable compared to what it's been on, but we have been spoilt by much larger commentary sets going for less. $35 is almost level, and might gain more interest.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 10:35 AM

Dean053:
$40 is very reasonable compared to what it's been on, but we have been spoilt by much larger commentary sets going for less

There's Syriac in some of these books. That's bound to make them a lot more expensive to produce than the average commentary set. Plus, unless they've changed things, all Bible texts are typed thrice and compared for typos. That makes Bibles much more expensive to produce than other books.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:41 AM

DMB:
- I'd suspect there's a lot of 'set and forget' pre-pub people that won't notice for a while that it converted (Logos notified? Didn't?)

I'm wondering the same. Is there anyone here who had it on prepub order, and who could tell us if Logos has sent out an e-mail with info about the move?

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 12:15 PM

I'm in.  Thanks for the push, fgh.

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 1:29 PM

bump. Looking good--perhaps at 22%.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 4:33 PM

Well, either (1) Everyone that ordered the pre-pub doesn't read the forums but did get the Logos email about the conversion, or (2) Everyone that ordered the pre-pub reads the forum, but just not this thread, or (3) Everyone that ordered the pre-pub didn't get an email and doesn't yet realize it's a new ballgame, or (4) Where are all the pre-pub orderers (they committed to $190 sight-unseen so they must have deep pockets, or got tired of trying to read aramaic)?

Now, looking at it in a perfectly mathematical way, half of the present CP bidders were previous pre-pub'ers. And half are new Targum-ites.  Clearly we need to find some more Targum-ites.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 7:01 AM

DMB:

Well, either (1) Everyone that ordered the pre-pub doesn't read the forums but did get the Logos email about the conversion, or (2) Everyone that ordered the pre-pub reads the forum, but just not this thread, or (3) Everyone that ordered the pre-pub didn't get an email and doesn't yet realize it's a new ballgame, or (4) Where are all the pre-pub orderers (they committed to $190 sight-unseen so they must have deep pockets, or got tired of trying to read aramaic)?

Now, looking at it in a perfectly mathematical way, half of the present CP bidders were previous pre-pub'ers. And half are new Targum-ites.  Clearly we need to find some more Targum-ites.

Number 3--I was in before, and received no email. So considering that, I guess it's not doing too badly.

Posts 898
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 7:50 AM

Purchasing this should be a no-brainer for any like me who can't read Aramaic and wants translations of the Peshitta and Syriac and Targums Onkelos and Jonathan.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Page 1 of 4 (67 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS