Grant Horner's Bible Reading Plan in Logos

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 19600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2021 9:44 AM

Thankful for Faithlife Corporation creating & maintaining many Mobile Apps that are available in Apple's App Store on iOS devices.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6
Braxton Sheehy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2021 2:42 PM

I was going to work on something through Filemaker Pro. However, I came across ReadingPlan by Jim Price. It's amazing. Search the reading plans for Horner by using the "find" feature in your browser (He doesn't list the plans alphabetically). You download a plan or plans from his website then load them into the app. He's got the year by year reading schedules available for Horner.

The app is flexible in that it can accommodate any reading plan. You can download any plan onto your computer and modify it then load it back into the app via iTunes. Here are the details for creating your own plan. I actually created a plan that includes a checkbox for Morning & Evening by Spurgeon.

This app only works on the iPhone or iPad. If anyone knows how to develop on Android Jim is happy to help by sharing code. It would be wonderful to have this available for everyone. I haven't seen a better reading plan app.

Posts 6
Braxton Sheehy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2021 2:52 PM

OH...I want to add... this plan has the preference to click on a scripture for your reading and automatically go to the Logos app and open your scripture for you. I was standing line at Costco doing my Bible reading and browsing a commentary yesterday. Again, great app!

Posts 2
Richard Widener | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 3:03 AM

I have been using this since January 1. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like. It keeps me in Logos and all the study aids work. This is a work around and it doesn't work on the mobile app because personal books aren't available on the mobile app. I am really enjoying this reading plan though and I don't have to look at a pdf paper and mark off chapters. It is all in Logos.

Posts 2
RichB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 4:13 AM

Braxton Sheehy:

I was going to work on something through Filemaker Pro. However, I came across ReadingPlan by Jim Price. It's amazing. Search the reading plans for Horner by using the "find" feature in your browser (He doesn't list the plans alphabetically). You download a plan or plans from his website then load them into the app. He's got the year by year reading schedules available for Horner.

The app is flexible in that it can accommodate any reading plan. You can download any plan onto your computer and modify it then load it back into the app via iTunes. Here are the details for creating your own plan. I actually created a plan that includes a checkbox for Morning & Evening by Spurgeon.

NOTE: this is for iOS users only

I've been using ReadingPlan on iOS for years. The hardest part is finding Horner's Reading plan. You load it by year, and there are 100 years' worth of lists. Simply add whichever year you're on and go for it. As one of the posts says, you can set up the app to open up any bible on your iOS device, including a website like BibleGateway if you'd like.

My setup:

If your default Bible is ESV, there are some neat things you can do. For Horner's plan, because the goal is a broad overview, not in-depth reading, I used to turn off all headings and verse/chapter numbers using visual filters. This took away all distractions, and the Bible was much different (and pleasurable) to read!

But two problems arose:

1. whenever I actually wanted to study a passage in Logos, I would have to go back and turn on visual filters. (tedious)
  2. the visual filters took away all chapter markings with the verse numbers, so I didn't know when the chapter ended

Hack for the ESV: Download the ESV Bible app (free). Set that as your default app for ReadingPlan to open in. In the ESV Bible app, go to the Settings and turn off headings, verse numbers, footnotes, and crossrefs. The chapter numbers are preserved, and voila! You can now read chapters at a time.

Pro Tip #1: When reading on my iPad, I love using the Split Screen view. On one half is ReadingPlan, and on the other half is my Bible (you pick, Logos or the ESV app or another app). You can also use Slide Over for ReadingPlan if you want to use the entire screen for just the Bible, then slide it away so you can read. Simply click on the passage, and your Bible goes straight to the passage.

Pro tip #2: When you just can't get yourself to read, listen to the audio version. In the ESV Bible app, it's as easy as hitting the speaker icon at the bottom and hitting play. You just have to stop it when it gets to the next chapter. You can also do this in the Logos app, but it's more clicks/taps to get it to read your audio bible for just that passage.

Posts 2
Daniel Ang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2022 8:42 AM

If anyone is interested to implement the Horner reading plan in Logos (or any other complex multi-list Bible reading plan), I have written a blog post describing the steps here: https://theology.danielang.net/2020/12/31/how-to-use-the-horner-bible-reading-plan-in-logos/. The main caveat is that you will need to make text files containing lists of the chapters to be read, but in the post above I have also included download links of the text files I generated for the Horner plan (up to 10 years).

Posts 5195
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2022 8:50 AM

Thanks!!!

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 2 2022 7:43 AM

Daniel Ang:
If anyone is interested to implement the Horner reading plan in Logos (or any other complex multi-list Bible reading plan), I have written a blog post describing the steps here: https://theology.danielang.net/2020/12/31/how-to-use-the-horner-bible-reading-plan-in-logos/. The main caveat is that you will need to make text files containing lists of the chapters to be read, but in the post above I have also included download links of the text files I generated for the Horner plan (up to 10 years).

This is great. Thanks for pointing to your blog. I would like to try this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2859
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2022 11:46 AM

I still like doing this in a regular Bible, but I might switch when the LSB gets into Logos. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS