Students taking & saving lecture notes in Logos

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 70
Christopher Engelsma | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:56 PM

Are there any students on here who take lecture notes and save them in Logos?

Most students here will take there notes in something like MS Word or Evernote.  I was wondering if it would be feasible to create a notebook in Logos to do this.  ?   I know it's possible; I just wonder if it is an efficient way to do it.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 1:01 PM

You can create a note file, or if you need multiple ones create a folder in Favorites to add links to multiple note files. The great thing is you can then share notes with your classmates. 

One option would be to pull them in as a Personal Book on a regular basis as well.

Posts 89
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:15 PM

I take notes for my exegesis classes directly into Logos notes so I have them easily accessible when I go to those references. (I also do the same with sermons). For notes for other classes, I put them into a Word file and then import them into Logos as a Personal Book.

Stephen

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:18 PM

You also might want to create a Faithlife group for your class, this would allow you and your classmates to share notes and mark-ups.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 4:19 PM

Most of the books in my college in the classes I'm taking next, are not in Logos. I prefer making notes and highlightings in books and Bibles. How should I accomplish this? I think I'm going to type first in MS Word 2010 Starter and/or LibreOffice Writer (depending on which laptop I carry there, I have two) which gives me the benefit of spell check, and then copy and paste the text somewhere, but how should I do this? Or should I really do it the other way around? What worries me is: do I quickly find a place to make the note, within my library to start typing?
Would I be forced to do most of this at home in the evening, or would it be feasible to do some of it during the school day? I would prefer to speak to other students during breaks and lunch-hour, not sit typing and copy-pasting.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1635
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 6:13 PM

Christopher Engelsma:
Are there any students on here who take lecture notes and save them in Logos?

Hi Christopher.

I'm not sure this would work well. I've been using Notes in Logos heavily when reading through the 2nd temple literature. Once the Notes file contains a few thousand words, it starts to become unusable. You find a lag of a second or more between when you type something and when it shows on screen.

I think you'd be better served to save your notes in a Word document, and then create a Personal Book from the contents. That way it's searchable in Logos. You can re-create it periodically as the semester progresses. And you can tag these PBBs with Subject, Author, and Series so they are easy to find or make collections from.

Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:43 PM

Allen Browne:

I'm not sure this would work well. I've been using Notes in Logos heavily when reading through the 2nd temple literature. Once the Notes file contains a few thousand words, it starts to become unusable. You find a lag of a second or more between when you type something and when it shows on screen.

I think you'd be better served to save your notes in a Word document, and then create a Personal Book from the contents. That way it's searchable in Logos. You can re-create it periodically as the semester progresses. And you can tag these PBBs with Subject, Author, and Series so they are easy to find or make collections from.

Allen,At least currently, personal books do not sync with multiple logos program installations or with tablets.  What would you feel about copy/pasting the Word document to a note file? That way the content not only is searchable, but can be accessed from multiple installations or from the web access.

Is the instability just with further updates to that bloated note file or does having such a file open in Logos impact the rest of the resources?  If it's just the note file updates, then making all additions with Word and pasting the result would give you more features; e.g., ability to make revisions and, as someone else mentioned, sharing.

Posts 1635
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 7:01 AM

David A Egolf:
Allen,At least currently, personal books do not sync with multiple logos program installations or with tablets.  What would you feel about copy/pasting the Word document to a note file?

Yes, if you're using a tablet, that's a good point against using a personal book.

I did try creating a decent Word doc (about 5000 words) and then pasting it into a Note file in Logos. Logos crashed (shut down by Windows). I didn't persist in trying to trouble-shoot the issue: just gave up on that approach, as the Note file was already too laggy to do any further editing.

Logos has said that Note files are not really designed for serious research, and I have to agree.

Posts 7
Rocky Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 7:21 AM

Christopher,

I am in a New Testament class right now at Regent University, using Gundry's Survey of NT. I bought this on Logos and love it. We are given extensive exam prep notes each week, and I have found success highlighting the answers to a note file for that exam, then using the highlight note file for review. 

Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 4:50 PM

You might follow this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/72431.aspx

Shane wanted to be able to create links from his resources to the notes after the notes are integrated into Logos.  So far, we haven't found a suitable way to do this, but thinking about the use case might be interesting.

Shane's hope was that the notes could be made more useful if the content could be located later from the relevant resources.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS