Sermons/PBB Questions

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 196
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:41 AM

I am an old Sermin File Add-in user and finally am taking the time to look at how to import sermons to Logos with PBB.  I have been able to import a couple of test sermons in one personal book but have a couple of "best practices" type questions.

1. Is it best to have one book with multiple body files, one file per sermon, or is it better to have one book per sermon?
  2. Does it matter if I add a sermon to a single Word doc every time and then recompile or add another body file for each sermon and then compile?
  3. If I have multiple body files do I need access to all of them to rebuild the book when I'm adding a sermon?
  4. Once I have built the PBB does Logos still need access to the original Word docs?  If so, do all of my installations of Logos have to have access to those documents at the same location (e.g. same path to files on every machine)?
  5. Do these personal books automatically sync to all desktop installations of Logos or is a personal build local to the machine (e.g. have to build on every device I use)?
  6. Can these personal books/sermons be accessed on a mobile (Android) device?

Thanks in advance.

Posts 24608
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:49 AM

Hi John

John Eggen:
Is it best to have one book with multiple body files, one file per sermon, or is it better to have one book per sermon?

I had one book for a sermon series with each body file being a separate sermon. I guess it depends on your approach to sermon planning.

John Eggen:
Does it matter if I add a sermon to a single Word doc every time and then recompile or add another body file for each sermon and then compile?

Either would work - I personally found it easier to have separate Word files and add each new one into the Personal Book

John Eggen:
If I have multiple body files do I need access to all of them to rebuild the book when I'm adding a sermon?

Yes - the whole book is recompiled so the source documents need to be accessible

John Eggen:
Once I have built the PBB does Logos still need access to the original Word docs?  If so, do all of my installations of Logos have to have access to those documents at the same location (e.g. same path to files on every machine)?

Access to the original Word docs is not required to read the PB within Logos - it clearly is if you want to modify it

John Eggen:
Do these personal books automatically sync to all desktop installations of Logos or is a personal build local to the machine (e.g. have to build on every device I use)?

Currently, the metadata - book title etc - is synchronised across each machine but the book itself is not so either needs to be recompiled on each machine or the PB copied to each machine and scanned in.

See the discussion at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/71442.aspx for an example of doing this.

John Eggen:
Can these personal books/sermons be accessed on a mobile (Android) device?

Not at the moment. Logos are working on providing a solution for this but we have no timescales as to when it may be available.

Hope this helps

Graham 

Posts 29346
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 6:25 AM

I'm not in a position to need to do this right now… but here is my 2 cents. 

John Eggen:
Is it best to have one book with multiple body files, one file per sermon, or is it better to have one book per sermon?

Neither, as I understand you. I would have one .docx file for a sermon series. The .docx file would be for "Logos use only." I would maintain individual .docx files for non-logos purposes. In my case, I would probably have one compiled book per calendar year (with x number of .docx files for each of the sermon series).

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2773
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 7:20 AM

Graham Criddle:

John Eggen:
Once I have built the PBB does Logos still need access to the original Word docs?  If so, do all of my installations of Logos have to have access to those documents at the same location (e.g. same path to files on every machine)?

Access to the original Word docs is not required to read the PB within Logos - it clearly is if you want to modify it

Logos might not need the docx files but you need to save them and back them up because Logos does not save the files nor the PBB made from them.

There were many L3 PBB files that are not accessible in L4 nor L5 because the original files were not preserved.  It is your work BACK IT UP!!

Posts 29346
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 7:45 AM

David Ames:

Graham Criddle:

John Eggen:

Logos might not need the docx files but you need to save them and back them up because Logos does not save the files nor the PBB made from them.

There were many L3 PBB files that are not accessible in L4 nor L5 because the original files were not preserved.  It is your work BACK IT UP!!

I suggest using something like dropbox to sync the .docx files. Even when the compiled files begin to sync (hopefully soon! Tongue Tied), it would still be nice to be able to modify the .docx file from any computer. HERE is more info about that.

Posts 196
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 7:57 AM
alabama24:

David Ames:

Graham Criddle:

John Eggen:

I suggest using something like dropbox to sync the .docx files. Even when the compiled files begin to sync (hopefully soon! Tongue Tied), it would still be nice to be able to modify the .docx file from any computer. HERE is more info about that.

I have a similar setup that I was starting with. I already use Dropbox pretty extensively and have all my messages on there. I've created a folder just for putting my formatted files for PBB in (which also will help me keep track of which sermons I have imported.) I was just really hoping I'd only have to compile the PBB on one computer. Is it possible to define where these PBB files get complied to so that I can just compile them right to Dropbox, sync and then use the L5 sync to update the library (similar to what's described here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/71442.aspx
Posts 29346
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:00 AM

John Eggen:
Is it possible to define where these PBB files get complied to so that I can just compile them right to Dropbox, sync and then use the L5 sync to update the library

I'm fairly sure the answer is no.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:50 AM

alabama24:

John Eggen:
Is it possible to define where these PBB files get complied to so that I can just compile them right to Dropbox, sync and then use the L5 sync to update the library

if you are on a Windows OS, look into Junctions and symbolic links

Posts 29346
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:51 AM

Thanks toughski. Smile

Posts 26581
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:23 PM

toughski:

alabama24:

John Eggen:

if you are on a Windows OS, look into Junctions and symbolic links

Please elaborate. Do you redirect the Logos Resources folder to a Dropbox folder on one/both computers; which would then be several GB and contain thousands of files, and require Dropbox to keep all those resources in sync?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS