Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 26 2013 9:40 AM

We're preparing for the first release of the next beta of Logos Desktop sometime next week. This code has some significant under the hood changes for the Library and there will likely be some bugs/instability as we progress from beta to stable for this release. You should treat these betas as pre-release and potentially unstable software. I highly recommend not installing this on your primary Logos computer, unless you understand and are willing to accept the risks highlighted in this post: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/52967.aspx

That said, for those who must have the latest bits and are willing to deal with instability along the way, we welcome feedback/bug reports.

If you want to make sure you're not on the beta program, type "Set update channel to stable" in the command box.

You can verify your update channel by looking at the about box. See http://wiki.logos.com/The_Logos_5_Beta_Program#Finding_your_update_channel.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2013 9:57 AM

Thanks for the headsup, Tom

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 3736
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2013 7:54 PM
Tom Philpot (Logos):

If you want to make sure you're not on the beta program, type "Set update channel to stable" in the command box.

Thanks for the heads up. Done.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2013 9:36 PM

Tom Philpot (Logos):

That said, for those who must have the latest bits and are willing to deal with instability along the way, we welcome feedback/bug reports.

Noticed Windows Updates has Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5.1 so wonder about compatibility (or instability) with upcoming beta ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9069
LogosEmployee

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Noticed Windows Updates has Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5.1

That's been available for over a month; there are no known issues with it.

Posts 9069
LogosEmployee

We'll also be making some changes to how Cited By saves its settings, to fix memory problems reported here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/77939.aspx. Specifically, the displayed sections, their expanded state, and their order won't be saved as part of History; instead, loading an old History item will apply that item's reference, but load the other settings from your most recent use of Cited By.

Cited By panels saved in layouts should not be affected. If your workflow (that uses Cited By) seems to be disrupted by this change, please post a new thread detailing what used to happen and what now happens.

As Tom recommended, you should not be installing Beta 1 on your primary machine, so it should be very easy to compare before and after Beta 1 using your main and beta machines. Bug reports without an accurate summary of what 5.2 does (instead of "what I think I remember it used to do") may not be accepted. Smile

Posts 6717
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 8:55 PM

Tom Philpot (Logos):
We're preparing for the first release of the next beta of Logos Desktop sometime next week.

The week is almost over.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 19219
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 8:58 PM

Lynden Williams:

Tom Philpot (Logos):
We're preparing for the first release of the next beta of Logos Desktop sometime next week.

The week is almost over.

Please don't release it on a Friday. You know what that can mean!

Wait until next week.

Posts 9069
LogosEmployee

We found some critical bugs in internal testing that stopped it shipping this week. It will probably ship next week.

Rosie Perera:

Please don't release it on a Friday. You know what that can mean!

I think we should release betas only on Fridays, to really drive home the message that it's unsupported beta software. Smile

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 11:47 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

I think we should release betas only on Fridays, to really drive home the message that it's unsupported beta software. Smile

LOL, no change there then Big Smile maybe you could just try not to break it instead Stick out tongue 

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 759
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 5:22 PM

Is there any chance a "send to Kindle" feature will be part of this beta?

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 9069
LogosEmployee

Jerry Bush:

Is there any chance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Posts 29359
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 6:21 PM

Jerry Bush:

Is there any chance

So you're telling me there's a chance?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2112
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 6:25 PM

There is always a chance, but time will tell.  

Posts 5265
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2013 1:31 AM

I agree with you on this Bradley, but disagree where somebody wrote that a Beta should not be installed on ones primary system!

Surely this is exactly where Logos should ask that it be installed - so that the Beta gets used as much as possible in as many situations as possible?

What does need to be said is that Beta testers should have a usable backup Stable system for when things go pear shaped as they inevitably will on occasion.

Given this rational; then as part of the bargain Logos should be ready and willing to ship quick fixes to Beta's knowing that using backups systems while feasible is often inconvenient. Any suggestion that Beta users should be prepared for crashes so their is no urgency should be squashed.

I keep my Beta on a two screen iMac set up. My stable version is on a MacBook Air. The first is great to use the second not so good (only one screen). I really appreciate quick fixes to the Beta when problems arise.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2013 4:47 AM

Mike Binks:
I keep my Beta on a two screen iMac set up. My stable version is on a MacBook Air.

Good thought. Perhaps I will update my MBP so as to have a stable backup if needed. Then, I can go with the beta when released.

Posts 759
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2013 7:20 AM

alabama24:

Jerry Bush:

Is there any chance

So you're telling me there's a chance?

Yes  That was great.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2013 12:27 PM

Jerry Bush:

Is there any chance

Perhaps we should save our money and not bet on that horse Big Smile

Posts 759
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2013 12:33 PM

Jack Caviness:

Jerry Bush:

Is there any chance

Perhaps we should save our money and not bet on that horse Big Smile

But Brad is saying... there IS a chance! Geeked

Jerry

Posts 26592
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2013 1:50 PM

Mike Binks:

I agree with you on this Bradley, but disagree where somebody wrote that a Beta should not be installed on ones primary system!

I agree with you, as I have a beta and a stable version on my primary Windows 7 computer, in different User Accounts. The beta user account is a small inconvenience given that I always have a usable version of Logos and can directly compare performance or screen-related issues.

Mike Binks:

What does need to be said is that Beta testers should have a usable backup Stable system for when things go pear shaped as they inevitably will on occasion.

Some users will rush in because there is a feature/fix they need and there is no thought about a backup system, despite the warnings about beta testing. When they try to revert to a stable system it usually crashes (in Windows). Logos could make this a safer/easier proposition if they adopted my suggestion for saving resources during uninstallation and completely remove the Logos5 folder. Time Machine may be easier for Mac users?

Mike Binks:
Any suggestion that Beta users should be prepared for crashes so their is no urgency should be squashed.

Can't agree with this because beta testing is inherently risky and can never be regarded with the same urgency as a production system; particularly when there is no scheduleSmile Should developers ignore production issues at the expense of beta issues?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS