What are the good volumes? Cambridge Greek Testament

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 31 2013 11:06 AM

Hi!
I know some have this almost ~100 year old set, and perhaps some have bought individual volumes (which seem to cost $13).
The link is: https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=cambridge+greek+testament&start=0&sort=rel&pageSize=30
The link to the set is: Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges (21 vols.). It's included in the 500 book Mega Pack which I don't want.

I can hardly find any other cheaper individual volumes with non-transliterated Greek.

How would You describe this commentary?

I'm asking because I have so good coverage of some of the books of the Bible that I don't think I'll need to rush into buying more commentaries on them.

Happy New Year 2014!

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 159
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 31 2013 11:50 AM

This is a "must have" set. Jay Adams (who has published his own translation of the Greek NT) says this is the most helpful resource he has ever used---better than most modern resources.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 31 2013 9:51 PM

Yes I want reviews so thanks, but it's impossible for me to afford the whole set! Some books of the Bible I have already covered pretty well with books I've bought (not yet read through many of those commentaries) and don't wish to add more on those books of the Bible.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 1127
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 8:05 AM

The January Free Book is the Hebrews Volume.

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 9:00 AM

Lee Garrison:

The January Free Book is the Hebrews Volume.

Looks good AND  it does  include the commentary Yes As  a separate file. Big Smile

Looks like the free book of the month IS Something to get excited over! Yes Now I am! Party!!!

YES IT IS SOMETHING TO GET EXCITED OVER, And It finally downloaded the other file! Big Smile

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 4165
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 9:04 AM

Unix:

Yes I want reviews so thanks, but it's impossible for me to afford the whole set! Some books of the Bible I have already covered pretty well with books I've bought (not yet read through many of those commentaries) and don't wish to add more on those books of the Bible.

Unix: then make a list of the books of the bible that you don't have sufficient "coverage" of and only buy those titles. This is not information we can know for you :). If you feel a book of the bible has sufficient coverage, you are unlikely to buy the title any way as I understand it.

Good Luck

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 9:12 AM

Tom Rach:

Looks good BUT they it does not include the commentary Angry

How in the world is logos going to sell the set with out at least letting us see both the greek and english notes? 

Looks like the free book of the month is nothing to get excited over! Sad 

You should find two separate listings in your library, one for the Greek text and one for the commentary.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 9:23 AM

Timothy Brown:

Tom Rach:

Looks good BUT they it does include the commentary Big Smile

Looks like the free book of the month IS something to get excited over! Big Smile

You should find two separate listings in your library, one for the Greek text and one for the commentary.

For some reason, it did not download the first time!  Both files are now on my computer!  Thanks!

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 2 2014 12:30 PM

bump!

abondservant, what volumes I would buy depends to such a high degree on recommendations, that I can't just simplify this. I would for example like to know which of the volumes view the book of the Bible that it deals with, as a composite work?:

abondservant:
Unix: then make a list of the books of the bible that you don't have sufficient "coverage" of and only buy those titles.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 6:17 PM

What do You think of the Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges: 1 & 2 Thessalonians -volume by George G. Findlay (he knew both Gk and Hebrew)? I have one commentary on this section of the Bible since before and it's pretty decent: 1 and 2 Thessalonians by Jacob W. Elias.

So far I've bought the Romans -volume by R. St. John Parry, and the Mark 2nd series -volume by G. F. Maclear and Alfred A. Plummer. I had commentaries on those already, and the one on Ro is good (Paideia, I have it both as printed matter and in Logos and have read it through twice and written a review on it with excerpt typed from the printed matter, + I have Hermeneia by Jewett and a pre-order for The Church’s Bible (4 vols.) $99.55), but I wanted to complement on these books of the Bible anyway. (Earlier on I thought that the volume on Mk in Hermeneia that I have was good (I bought it on April 19. 2012) but 1½ years later discovered it's not as good as I thought - I have pretty high standards, but it's still useful.)

Note: Currently discounts can't be negotiated on any of these volumes by phone.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 4165
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 10:03 PM

Unix:

bump!

abondservant, what volumes I would buy depends to such a high degree on recommendations, that I can't just simplify this. I would for example like to know which of the volumes view the book of the Bible that it deals with, as a composite work?:

abondservant:
Unix: then make a list of the books of the bible that you don't have sufficient "coverage" of and only buy those titles.

As diverse of a community as we have here, I suspect that what one recommends another would scorn and vice versa. Seems like that would be confusing, multiple voices calling out from the grey...

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 7:50 AM

Some who have used any of the volumes would still know more about them than what I've been able to glean from the product pages:

abondservant:
As diverse of a community as we have here, I suspect that what one recommends another would scorn and vice versa. Seems like that would be confusing, multiple voices calling out from the grey...

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 2:08 PM

bump!

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 8939
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 5:54 PM

Unix, you can check all the volumes out here: http://studylight.org/com/cgt/ It's the free online version.  Test drive the volumes you want and then you can decide better whether to purchase the whole set or just a volume here and there.

DAL

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 6:25 PM

I would prefer just getting recommendations!:

DAL, thanks, I might take a real quick look, but I really have been spending too much time following sales (it's for example pretty tiresome to follow daily twitter deals because it's often closer to midnight over here when they are announced (can still purchase a daily twitter deal when I wake up though)) and I would rather put more time into reading resources that I already have.
As negotiating with sales is getting more and more difficult I would like to make one last try and ask whether one volume from this set could be discounted from the reg. price - because at first the price of ~$13 a volume seemed real cheap, but now when I think about it there are lots of older commentaries that occasionally are cheap.
I would NEVER buy the whole set. (I started using the forums and buying a lot in Logos in March 2012, just after the set went from Community Pricing to "Under production" in Pre-pub so I missed out on it - but even if I would have been more alert and would have discovered Community Pricing earlier I most probably would not have bid.) And I don't regret not getting the set at the Community Pricing price-level because I hate when there are too many books in my library and I don't want to have to hide books (I have a hard time deciding to hide anything anyway) - and I don't want there to be completely unnecessary books decades from now when I leave my books to some friend at the point when I'm too old to keep properly using the entire library:

DAL:
Test drive the volumes you want and then you can decide better whether to purchase the whole set or just a volume here and there.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 7:54 PM

I just found and pre-ordered the forthcoming ICC-volume on 1-2 Thess, from AZ .co.uk as hardcover. I guess I would not need anything more meanwhile?:

Unix:
What do You think of the Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges: 1 & 2 Thessalonians -volume by George G. Findlay (he knew both Gk and Hebrew)?
... Are there other volumes anyone would suggest?

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 9:28 AM
  • I don't read Acts, I have the Gospels pretty well covered.
  • I have commentaries on 1 Cor, at least one of them is good.
  • I have commentaries that cover 2 Cor 1-9, but would have use for another commentary and don't need any commentary on the rest of the chapters.
  • I want to wait quite a long time before I buy a commentary on Gal.
  • I have just bought a commentary on Eph. I have little on Eph but I'm selective.
  • I don't need commentaries on Phil, Col.
  • I don't want commentaries on the Pastorals, at least not old ones.
  • I don't think I have any proper commentary on Philem.
  • Hebrews is not a priority - I would not pay a lot for commentaries on it.
  • I will probably have many commentaries on James, half of them as printed matter, half of them in Logos. One which I want I discovered today. But I might still have use for another commentary, especially one with Gk!
  • I don't have sufficient coverage of 1 Pt.
  • I don't read 2 Pt.
  • I probably have somewhat sufficient commentaries on 1-3 Jn, but I don't read 2-3 Jn.
  • I would have use for commentaries on Jude, but not older than 15 years old
  • I rarely read the Apocalypse. EDIT: I have one commentary from 2001 and think that's sufficient:
    Unix:

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 4165
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 2:14 PM

Unix:

I have commentaries that cover 2 Cor 1-9, but would have use for another commentary. I have little on Eph but I'm selective.

• I rarely read the Apocalypse:
    Unix:

Looks like you figured it out: 2 Cor, Eph, Phi, and maybe the apocalypse.

:)

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 2:49 PM

I looked at the 2 Cor product page in the first place and couldn't figure out if it's any good.

It would have to view Eph as a composite letter, does it? I'm not sure Biblical scholarship had reached there by the time that volume was written.

I'm not sure this series would be good for Philem:

abondservant:
Looks like you figured it out: 2 Cor, Eph, Philem, and maybe the apocalypse.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 2:53 PM

Unix:

• I don't read Acts, I have the Gospels pretty well covered.
  • I have commentaries on 1 Cor, at least one of them is good.
  • I have commentaries that cover 2 Cor 1-9, but would have use for another commentary and don't need any commentary on the rest of the chapters.
  • I want to wait quite a long time before I buy a commentary on Gal.
  • I have just bought a commentary on Eph. I have little on Eph but I'm selective.
  • I don't need commentaries on Phil, Col.
  • I don't want commentaries on the Pastorals, at least not old ones.
  • Hebrews is not a priority - I would not pay a lot for commentaries on it.
  • I will probably have many commentaries on James, half of them as printed matter, half of them in Logos. One which I want I discovered today. But I might still have use for another commentary, especially one with Gk!
  • I don't read 2 Pt.
  • I probably have somewhat sufficient commentaries on 1-3 Jn, but I don't read 2-3 Jn.
  • I would have use for commentaries on Jude, but not older than 15 years old
  • I rarely read the Apocalypse. EDIT: I have one commentary from 2001 and think that's sufficient:
    Unix:

Unix, if you read your list above you can see why I feel helpless/frustrated when you ask for suggestions - how many of your considerations would I be apt to know? However, if you were to ask "I don't think I have any proper commentary on Phlem. Any suggestions?" I'd feel I had a chance of giving a useful answer. Others may feel differently but I thought I'd give my perspective as at times you seem frustrated at the lack of responses.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS