Barnes' Notes on the Old and New Testaments (14 Vols.)

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 3 2010 9:34 AM

Looks like the price is going down currently the bid is at 30$. I bid 35, the more people the more the price goes down correct ?

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 9:40 AM

Barnes is languishing and will probably never be published. The graph is just the number of pre-orders at each price as a percent of the total needed. Right now there are not enough pre-orders (not bids) to come even close to the cost of publication. Enter the price you are willing to pay and try to drum up support. Barnes has been on this list for a couple of years at least, and is going no where.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:01 AM

you know, i wonder if Logos might help the interest by giving some examples/excerpts.  If he is good at illustrating, (like Barclay), give us an example.  If he has keen insight, give one of those. 

I frankly just think of Barnes as a thick book on my dad's shelf that probably says stuff many other commentaries I have says.  Certainly it doesn't interact with current discussion.

That said, a) I have placed a bid, b) just because he is not current doesn't mean he isn't relevant.  Still, I want to know (and other non-bidders do too) WHY we should care about Barnes.  Just having people say "Oh, I like him", or "his writings are beloved by many" doesn't really help. 

Peace!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:05 AM

I don't have nor have I ever used Barnes. He is available in e-sword for free which may be one reason there is little interest in paying as much as Logos would need to publish him. You can download e-sword and Barnes and check him out if you want.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:08 AM

Dan DeVilder:
you know, i wonder if Logos might help the interest by giving some examples/excerpts

There are some sample pages from the print edition at the resource's web page here

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 309
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:29 AM

It would be nice to have Barnes keyed to my logos.  Don't know if it will ever happen though.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:42 AM

JohnGraves:
Don't know if it will ever happen though.

You didn't say, but have you submitted a pre-order for this on the Community Pricing listing for the resource? Unless a bunch of new people do this, it isn't going to make it into Logos. Here's the link for anyone who wants to 'vote' with their pocketbook.It is at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.logos.com/communitypricing

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:50 AM

Mark,

What happened to the graph ? The production line is alot farther away then it was ?

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 4:34 PM

Blair Laird:
What happened to the graph ? The production line is alot farther away then it was ?

I don't think it is any farther away. Please note that the cost of producing this resource will be very high. $30 bids will never get it into Logos (Blair, I don't know how much you or anyone except me have bid, so this is not aimed at you).

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 4:46 PM

Paul Golder:

Dan DeVilder:
you know, i wonder if Logos might help the interest by giving some examples/excerpts

There are some sample pages from the print edition at the resource's web page here

Embarrassed  and so there is . . .  Embarrassed

. . . . i wish more posters would be more informed before the post.   <note to self>

I've been there several times.   . . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 309
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 5:01 PM

Mark A. Smith:

JohnGraves:
Don't know if it will ever happen though.

You didn't say, but have you submitted a pre-order for this on the Community Pricing listing for the resource? Unless a bunch of new people do this, it isn't going to make it into Logos. Here's the link for anyone who wants to 'vote' with their pocketbook.It is at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.logos.com/communitypricing

Yes I have submitted the pre-order for this.  Its not a big deal it would just be cool.  

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 6:04 PM

Old school now with V4 out but it is available in a PBB for V3. (I believe it is complete)

http://www.stilltruth.com/blog/joekreif/albert-barnes-notes-old-testament-now-available-pbb-format

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 6:36 PM

I guess I missed that the other day when I was on the site... God Bless

Posts 343
Jason Saling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 1:28 AM

How does the graph work?  I don't see how the dollar amounts on the bottom reconcile with the percentage required for production on the left of the graph.  For Barnes it shows $30 at 40%, but it shows $65 at 20%.  I don't understand the math.  How do you tell if one is getting close to enough bids to go in production?

Jason Saling

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 2:59 AM

Jason Saling:
How does the graph work?  I don't see how the dollar amounts on the bottom reconcile with the percentage required for production on the left of the graph.  For Barnes it shows $30 at 40%, but it shows $65 at 20%.  I don't understand the math.  How do you tell if one is getting close to enough bids to go in production?

The production cost is the same across the board. The graph shows the total amount bid at the various levels against what it would cost to produce the resource. In other words, a great number of $30 bids have been submitted, but very few $65 bids.

Posts 19689
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:11 AM

JackCaviness:

The production cost is the same across the board. The graph shows the total amount bid at the various levels against what it would cost to produce the resource. In other words, a great number of $30 bids have been submitted, but very few $65 bids.

I'm not sure I understand how the chart works, though. Surely all the people who have bid over $30 would be willing to buy it for $30 too, if it were ever produced for that value. So if the people who bid exactly $30 on it amount to only 40% of the production cost, shouldn't the chart also include all the people who have bid more than $30 for computing that point? I might have expected it would automatically, but it clearly doesn't do that, since you can see (currently) a blip in the chart where more people would pay $70 for it than $65. If all the people who would pay > $65 are factored into the chart's point at the 65 level, then you'd expect a continuously declining line.

So I really don't understand how this chart can help Logos determine when they've got enough support from the community to go ahead and produce the thing.

Posts 19689
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:40 AM

Paul Golder:

Dan DeVilder:

If you don't want to download e-Sword to see the whole thing in digital form, you can also see lots more of the print edition by poking around in the "Search Inside this Book" feature on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Barnes-Notes-Testaments-Fourteen-volumes/dp/0801008344#noop

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:55 AM

Rosie Perera:
Surely all the people who have bid over $30 would be willing to buy it for $30 too, if it were ever produced for that value. So if the people who bid exactly $30 on it amount to only 40% of the production cost, shouldn't the chart also include all the people who have bid more than $30 for computing that point?

You caught me again. Geeked As I understand the chart, all orders over $30 would be included in the level of the graph at $30. For instance, I bid $95, so my bid counts there and at even increment down the line. 

Posts 182
Linden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 5:46 PM

Anthony Hamlin:
Old school now with V4 out but it is available in a PBB for V3. (I believe it is complete)

Granted that PBB functionality in v4 is unknown, but could someone explain what advantage would a Logos produced version have over the PBB version that I use in v3 (and hopefully will be able to use in v4 soon)?  The PBB shows up as a commentary and the verses are hyperlinked.  What additional tagging could be added to this resource that I'm missing out on?

I am aware of this blog post covering the advantages of Logos produced resources over PBBs but its not clear which of this apply in the Barnes Notes case.

http://blog.logos.com/mt-cgi/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=1&tag=PBB&limit=20

Linden

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 6:26 PM

Rosie Perera:
So I really don't understand how this chart can help Logos determine when they've got enough support from the community to go ahead and produce the thing.

Look at it this way.  Suppose for example you had 10 people willing to pay $100 for the resource.  That of course would result in $1000.  If there were fewer bids at $30, say 3 that would be $90.  Now factor in the 10 willing to pay $100, but now you can only count them as $30s so now you have 13 at $30 which is only $390, hence the chart at $30 is lower than the chart at $100.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS