Logos has overtaken Accordance for good

Page 6 of 8 (154 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
This post has 153 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 819
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2015 5:05 PM

Eli Evans:
Accordance and Bibleworks modules (last I checked, which was a while ago, so apologies if this isn't the case any more) are essentially databases, that is, small, highly structured chunks of data that are assembled at run time to resemble documents.

I've since learned that I this is not accurate. I don't want to be the source of misinformation, so I'm a bit ashamed that this little tidbit got repeated around (and around). My main point was already made (we follow our own lights, without much reference to what others are doing) so I didn't really need to gild the lilly. Mea culpa.

So, in the spriit of Prov 8:9-10; 10:23; 13:16, I apologize for any conseternation my loggorhea caused. From now on, I'll try to stick to talking about things I know about, which is Logos, Logos, Logos!

Merry Christmas!

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2015 7:12 PM

Eli Evans:

So, in the spriit of Prov 8:9-10; 10:23; 13:16, I apologize for any conseternation my loggorhea caused. From now on, I'll try to stick to talking about things I know about, which is Logos, Logos, Logos!

Merry Christmas!

A blessed season to you too... while only a ACC user I realize it ruffled feathers based on a perceived slighting... but while I would expect you to have used all Bible software (or someone there at FL, no one should expect you to be an expert at other software).

-Dan

Posts 1
Pedro Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 7:49 PM

I know it's been a few years since OP's post.  I think that there is a role for both Logos 7 and Accordance.

A lot of the custom datasets (Biblical Sense, Cultural concepts, Propositional outlines, etc.) available on Logos are second to none.  Also, I love the customization of guides.  

But I will still use Accordance for most of my Bible searching.   

I jotted down some of my thoughts in this post.

Logos 7 vs. Accordance 12

Pedro

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 9:38 PM

Thanks Pedro, one thing I didn't see in the mobile section was the fact that Accordance's mobile app is self contained this does mean you have less power than Faithlife Apps but also you have constant access to all features that bncluding original language look up. Logos most assuredly has a far more vast selection but Accordance offers more than a few key resources unavailable in the FL. As I think I said earlier in this thread each program has its strengths and weaknesses let each one use what will best serve each one. 

Dan

PS:One more FL thing is a light version for free sort of exists. One can download the free engine be and get Faithlife study bible collection and the Lexham English Bible. And grab the connect the testaments devotional  and have a free study system that although has no original language tie in has a great study bible, very decent modern dictionary, a nice devotional and a solid modern translation. 

Posts 538
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 10:18 PM

Pedro Cheung:

I know it's been a few years since OP's post.  I think that there is a role for both Logos 7 and Accordance.

A lot of the custom datasets (Biblical Sense, Cultural concepts, Propositional outlines, etc.) available on Logos are second to none.  Also, I love the customization of guides.  

But I will still use Accordance for most of my Bible searching.   

I jotted down some of my thoughts in this post.

Logos 7 vs. Accordance 12

Pedro

👍 Excellent Review !

Posts 1753
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 12:14 AM

Yes, the review is good. 

Regarding to the timeline, I can live with the Logos version. But I guess neither has the possibility for user editing (adding, modifying)

Logos Atlas and the links to maps has room for improvement. Meanwhile, I bought the Sacred Bridge book version. It works like an additional screen.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 5204
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 6:51 AM

I really wish Sacred Bridge would come to Logos...

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 7:55 AM

Dan Francis:
one thing I didn't see in the mobile section was the fact that Accordance's mobile app is self contained this does mean you have less power than Faithlife Apps but also you have constant access to all features that bncluding original language look up

This has been a killer issue for me. I'm devoting most of my resources to Accordance now because of this. When I first started out looking at bible software, my primary goal was to find something on my tablet that I could take with me anywhere and be able to do word lookups and be able to pull up commentaries quickly during bible studies. I picked Logos back then because of the huge library, the active forum community, and I believed that support was so requested for offline lookups that it was surely around the corner. Four years later and nearly $40k invested and Simple Offline Lookups is still at the top of User Voice requests and still no where in sight. In fact, it's pretty clear that Faithlife is moving more and more towards a online only version of desktop as well as mobile. This would be fine if we lived in the always connected world they must live in out there in Bellingham. Unfortunately, here in Atlanta, the churches I attend don't have such access, and they are very large churches. Accordance for iOS now fills this need for me and they are working on an Android version which, hopefully, is coming soon.

Dan Francis:
Accordance offers more than a few key resources unavailable in the FL

This is another place where I don't understand Faithlife's silence on great resources like Carta. Especially when they also have a very poor map (and timeline) implementation compared to Accordance.

Dan Francis:
each program has its strengths and weaknesses let each one use what will best serve each one. 

Yes I'm ranting a little bit but I do strongly believe this. I love and respect both companies and they both make great products that help me learn more effectively. It's just hard sometimes when you've invested so much and have to go elsewhere when features and resources that are so obviously wanted get ignored.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 10:51 AM

Randy W. Sims:
This is another place where I don't understand Faithlife's silence on great resources like Carta. Especially when they also have a very poor map (and timeline) implementation compared to Accordance.

Carta is a great example. As is the often requested Holman Bible Commentary (Logos offers NT only). Modern Torah commentary is another one for me and even the smaller works of New Interpreter's Study Bible and New Interpreter's One Volume commentary come to mind immediately. Now the MTC may not be something FL wish to go after, but the Abingdon and Broadman products are a big head scratcher as to why they have never been offered.

-Dan

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 4:54 PM

Randy W. Sims:
This is another place where I don't understand Faithlife's silence on great resources like Carta.

I have often spoken about my desire to have Carta in Logos. Currently I don't own any other Bible software other than Logos but thinking about Carta makes we wonder whether I should give up waiting for Logos to work out a deal with Carta and take the plunge but I really don't want to do this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 5:38 PM

I really can't speak to Logos vs Accordance since, of course, Libby might be listening.

But I have Accordance mainly for Carta, and the media resources (hi-res zoomable).  Can 'zoom' be used in the Logosian language ... images in resources. Oddly OxfordComm can still zoom images in Logos ... OxfordComm is so odd.

The latest Accordance mobile update was outstanding. Early on, you could page thru images in a resource. Then they got fancy ... one at a time. Now, they returned the ability to page thru hundreds of images. Whoa, Katy bar the door!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 6:35 PM

Randy W. Sims:
Accordance for iOS now fills this need for me and they are working on an Android version which, hopefully, is coming soon.

BREAKING NEWS: attendees of SBL/AAR can stop by the booth and see a running demo of Accordance Mobile running on an Android tablet!

-Dan

Posts 2441
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 7:48 PM

I use Accordance for the Interactive Atlas and Carta materials.  Other than those two, I use Logos.  If Logos were to improve the Atlas tool and carry Carta materials, then I would make a clean break from Accordance.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 10:35 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Randy W. Sims:
This is another place where I don't understand Faithlife's silence on great resources like Carta.

I have often spoken about my desire to have Carta in Logos. Currently I don't own any other Bible software other than Logos but thinking about Carta makes we wonder whether I should give up waiting for Logos to work out a deal with Carta and take the plunge but I really don't want to do this.

I've also been waiting for more/better atlas resources to be available in Logos, but am now considering a separate purchase of one or more Carta resources.  A hard copy is an option, but I'm leaning towards something available in Accordance so even though I have to step outside of Logos, I can do it on my computer without having to carry a hard copy with me.

I would appreciate any input you might have on the various Carta resources--i.e. pros and cons, coverage or lack thereof.  I'm currently looking at the "Sacred Bridge", but don't know how it compares coverage wise with other resources like the Carta Bible Atlas or the Carta Understanding series. 

Posts 1753
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 12:17 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
A hard copy is an option, but I'm leaning towards something available in Accordance so even though I have to step outside of Logos, I can do it on my computer without having to carry a hard copy with me.

Well, Sacred Bridge is probably larger and heavier than your laptop. I don't have other Carta products yet to compare, but Sacred Bridge has more info than any of my other maps (I am sort of cartophilic/cartoholic - please give me the right word - I have more maps than really necessary, but am still looking forward to something better). Sacred Bridge leans towards the university type of Biblical history. Text part is better than maps, in my opinion. A good search capability in the computer would make it really useful. It starts from Early Bronze age and ends with the Bar Kochba revolt in 135 AD. It has lots of information about the history between the testaments.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 12:34 PM

I have SB and Macmillan (both Carta). I initially thought Macmillan would be a waste. But now I'm glad I have both.

Example: I'm currently reading about the collapse in the late Bronze. And SB and Macmillan represent differing theories and thus both quite useful. Both in-depth discussion ... both detailed maps, but SB nicer.

For Logosians unfamiliar with Carta, 'atlas' sounds like maps with some chit-chat. With Carta, it's sort of Anchor-Yale level discussion, plus detailed maps. 

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 2:52 PM

Veli Voipio:

Rick Ausdahl:
A hard copy is an option, but I'm leaning towards something available in Accordance so even though I have to step outside of Logos, I can do it on my computer without having to carry a hard copy with me.

Well, Sacred Bridge is probably larger and heavier than your laptop. I don't have other Carta products yet to compare, but Sacred Bridge has more info than any of my other maps (I am sort of cartophilic/cartoholic - please give me the right word - I have more maps than really necessary, but am still looking forward to something better). Sacred Bridge leans towards the university type of Biblical history. Text part is better than maps, in my opinion. A good search capability in the computer would make it really useful. It starts from Early Bronze age and ends with the Bar Kochba revolt in 135 AD. It has lots of information about the history between the testaments.

Thanks, Veli.  It sounds like you would prefer a digital version provided it had a good search capability.  From what I've found so far though, it looks like everything directly from Carta is hard copy and the only digital version is with Accordance.  Even with Accordance though, I don't know how well they have it linked with events in scripture passages or how well it's tagged for searches.  Sure wish it was available in Logos.

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 3:07 PM

Denise:

I have SB and Macmillan (both Carta). I initially thought Macmillan would be a waste. But now I'm glad I have both.

Example: I'm currently reading about the collapse in the late Bronze. And SB and Macmillan represent differing theories and thus both quite useful. Both in-depth discussion ... both detailed maps, but SB nicer.

For Logosians unfamiliar with Carta, 'atlas' sounds like maps with some chit-chat. With Carta, it's sort of Anchor-Yale level discussion, plus detailed maps. 

Thanks, Denise.  Could you expound just a little on how the SB maps are nicer?  Also wondering, do you have hard copies, digital, or a mix?  If any are digital, are they Accordance versions or something else?

If Accordance, what's your opinion on how well they are linked with scripture passages--i.e. how easy does Accordance make it to get from events in scripture passages to maps pertaining to those events?  Also wondering how well the maps are tagged for searches.  I'm leaning towards the Bible Atlas due to price, but would consider the SB if it's easier to get from scripture passages to the appropriate maps or tagged better for searches.

If they're digital but not Accordance resources, what app are they a part of?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 3:39 PM

Answering specific questions:

- I have Carta on Accordance (all digital). I can't imagine using hardcopy ... too slow and heavy.

- I'm not a good source for Bible > atlas.  I mainly use relative to time (both are tightly bound to time, so it's easy to match up).  Both have detailed side-bar TOC's to quickly move from event to event. So, if I'm watching Neco headed north in Kings, it's easy to find him ... not like Logos where you have to search, etc.

- Don't know how maps are tagged, but the TOC's are far faster.  You can even arrow-key the maps across time quickly.

- I included SB sample and Macmillan sample below. I'd get SB long before Macmillan. It really an 'atlas commentary' ... lots of good info.

Sorry I couldn't answer the Bible > atlas connect, though it's not so critical as is in Logos. Below are Necco's foibles (included some Jehoiakim to show text discussion).

Sacred Bridge:

Macmillan Sample:

Posts 2583
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 5:16 PM

I would buy Sacred Bridge.  Just sayin'.

Page 6 of 8 (154 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS