Logos 6 Core Engine Update Delay

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 7
Ryan Lenerz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:57 AM

Christopher Gillespie:
deal with Logos5 engine for the time being.

I still love Logos 5.  Just because something new came out, doesn't make me feel like my Logos 5 is broken and not as good anymore.  In fact, Logos 5 is better today than when I first got it because of minor updates that have arrived along the way. 

You would be hard pressed to find another software package that can do even a portion of what Logos can do. 

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:32 AM

Ryan Lenerz:

Christopher Gillespie:
deal with Logos5 engine for the time being.

I still love Logos 5.  Just because something new came out, doesn't make me feel like my Logos 5 is broken and not as good anymore.  In fact, Logos 5 is better today than when I first got it because of minor updates that have arrived along the way. 

You would be hard pressed to find another software package that can do even a portion of what Logos can do. 

You're right, Logos 5 is a fine program. The additional features and improvements in L6 are a outstanding and I am glad to have them.

With L6 as with any other program one has to ask and answer some questions. What is new? Do I need it? Do I want it? Can I afford it? etc

I think we sometimes think we need to have the latest, greatest programs just because they exist.

Posts 7
Gary Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 5:04 PM

How will the Logos 6 core engine update help when using an android tablet? Will buying the base crossgrade help? I use my tablet way more than my computer these days and it is terribly frustrating the amount of features I give up because of it. I originally bought a Platinum package and already have more books than I will ever read there, include my ever growing print library and I'm full in that regard. What I want is to have the use of resources I paid good money for available. 

Honestly, I often get more use and functionality out of some of the free apps I have on my tablet. I see more people with tablets than laptops these days so will/is this issue being addressed?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 5:28 PM

John Wells:
Can't say that I am enamored with Logos' marketing strategy. Each version touts new cool features

Do you know of any software creator who doesn't do this?  I've gotten a number of emails from WinZip just this year.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9517
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 6:44 PM

Gary Tucker:

How will the Logos 6 core engine update help when using an android tablet? Will buying the base crossgrade help? I use my tablet way more than my computer these days and it is terribly frustrating the amount of features I give up because of it. I originally bought a Platinum package and already have more books than I will ever read there, include my ever growing print library and I'm full in that regard. What I want is to have the use of resources I paid good money for available. 

Honestly, I often get more use and functionality out of some of the free apps I have on my tablet. I see more people with tablets than laptops these days so will/is this issue being addressed?

Gary, the Android app is completely different from the Logos 6 engine. Purchasing anything in L6 will not change what you now have in the app you are using. So if you don't use a computer or laptop often you don't need to upgrade. Even if you do, you don't need to upgrade even to continue to use that platform. When the free L6 engine is released it would make sense to install it.

You paid money to have use of your resources on a PC or Mac, with use on other apps according to those app's abilities. If you didn't understand that when you spent it, it is probably too late to get a refund, but you can always ask.

Concerning spending money on Logos 'stuff', it is sales of resources and new datasets, etc. that allow the desktop app and your Android app to be developed. So we all have an interest in keeping that work going forward.

I have been using the iOS app for a few years and like you, use it a lot. But I will never expect it to be able to do what I can do with Logos on a full desktop. The things it can do have grown, and I know they will continue to. I seriously doubt you will find an app that will give you near the full functionality of any desktop/laptop program like Logos. As you know, tablets are a different product and have their own limitations. The gap seems to be closing. I am sure Logos will try to take advantage of that as they can.

I am curious, however, about your mention of not being able to use resources. Other than the limitations that the app puts on what can be run and displayed, what resources are you referring to? I know licensing limitations mean some books cannot be used on the Android/iOS apps, but Logos can't do anything about that except continue to try to get permission from the publishers. Please let us know what you mean.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:23 AM

Gary Tucker:
Honestly, I often get more use and functionality out of some of the free apps I have on my tablet.

In addition to  what Mark said, I will add that the Logos app on your android is free. Logos has a mobile app team working full time on both android and ios. They are continually improving a product that the company gives away. 

Posts 147
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 8:20 PM

John Wells:

Can you explain why you cannot provide the basic update before Feb 3rd, other than to play on customer's impatience to obtain more sales?

If you'd like a free taste (although not the whole enchilada) of the L6 engine, you could test-drive Noet.  Noet is based on 6, but lacks Bible-specific features (e.g. Bible search).

If interested, you can even try Noet without risking your current L4 or L5 installation.  For example, I have Logos 4, Verbum 5, and Noet (based on 6), installed on the same machine.  Here's a post from Bradley admitting that L5 + Noet is possible.  He notes that it isn't an officially tested scenario; however, I haven't noticed any problems <except that this poor old machine was pretty slow when I tried running all three simultaneously : >

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS