Surface 3

Page 1 of 4 (74 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 73 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 1 2015 10:22 AM

Yesterday Microsoft announced the Surface 3, set to come out next month. I'm considering the the 128gb model with 4gb RAM.

Any thoughts on how well/poorly Logos 6 would run on this device & processor?

My current laptop is a Core i7-4510 with 8gb RAM & an SSD, and Logos is pretty snappy.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2015 11:36 AM

Going from an i7 to an Atom processor and halving your RAM will not be a pleasant experience for you.

Posts 2
Steve Hull | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2015 5:53 PM

I think it depends on what your purpose for the device. If you're planning on it replacing the laptop I think it could be a bit frustrating, but as an addition, it seems to be an interesting option. I have been concidering a tablet to run full logos but have not committed to anything yet. The digitizer and 10.8" screen seems like it could be a nice form factor to run full logos. I do recall reading in a previous thread that a bay trail atom processor with 2gb or ram was considered "serviceable." It will be interesting to see benchmarks on the new atom processor.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2015 6:23 PM

I have an i5 laptop with an SSD and 8 GB of RAM, and a Lenovo Thinkpad 8 that has an Atom processor but 4 GB of RAM. No question - my laptop runs Logos 6 much faster. However, the Lenovo, with that 4 GB, isn't bad. For me, I like being able to have my whole Logos library on a more portable device with full Logos 6 functionality when needed, offline as well as online. Having said that, my guess is that the Surface 3 (I'm thinking of the 4 GB RAM version) should do a little better than my Lenovo, as it has the latest Atom processor and probably some other good Surface hardware in it. No, it will never compete with your laptop, but it would work if you are not in a rush. Still, I'd save the more intense exegetical work for your laptop.  

Overall, for someone who finds the Surface Pro a bit steep, who likes the size and form factor, and who doesn't plan on running apps/programs that require a lot of resources, the Surface 3 could be a good solution. If they actually get the 10 hour battery life they claim, even better.  

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2015 8:29 PM

I'm actually looking at the Surface 3 as a replacement to my current laptop. These days Logos is really the only high end app I use, and I'm used to it running slow-ish (I only recently got an SSD and know how life was before that & still have a spinning drive on my work machine). In my current use case, it makes more sense to have a large tablet/small laptop and my cell phone than adding a third device (i.e. the surface in addition to or an Android/Apple tablet)

Hopefully some sites will be able to get their hands on them and run benchmarks before they start shipping.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 161
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2015 8:43 PM

LaRosa Johnson:

I'm actually looking at the Surface 3 as a replacement to my current laptop. These days Logos is really the only high end app I use, and I'm used to it running slow-ish (I only recently got an SSD and know how life was before that & still have a spinning drive on my work machine). In my current use case, it makes more sense to have a large tablet/small laptop and my cell phone than adding a third device (i.e. the surface in addition to or an Android/Apple tablet)

Hopefully some sites will be able to get their hands on them and run benchmarks before they start shipping.

I would take a serious look at the Surface Pro 3 as well.  There's a few Microsoft locations in my area so I'm going to go take a look at the new Surface 3 in person.  I wish I could install Logos on there to compare it with my Surface Pro 3.  One major difference besides the CPU and screen size is the Surface 3 uses an eMMC memory module instead of an SSD.  eMMC memory tops out at 150Mb/s read speed while the SSD in the Surface Pro 3 tops out at close to 500Mb/s.  This may have a pretty noticeable impact on Logos.  

For reference, I can get Logos up and running in 12-15 seconds on the Surface Pro 3 if there's no updates.  I don't have a huge library, but it's a reasonable size with 2,000 or so resources and my installation is about 20gb in size.  If there's an update, it may take up to 35 seconds to start.  

I've definitely replaced my laptops with the Surface Pro 3.  Using the pen to perform highlights in Logos is something I prefer over using my mouse.  This is something you'd get with the Surface 3 as well.

Overall, I think both Surface devices are great for Logos use.  Price, screen size, portability, and speed are all factors worth considering.  One thing I was surprised by is the Type Cover keys are actually the same size on the Surface 3.  So from a typing experience there's no compromise compared to the Surface Pro 3 when looking at the Type Covers.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 4:51 AM

I was wondering if the Surface 3 used SSD like the Surface Pro, because the Microsoft site (yesterday) didn't say "SSD". As a further point of reference, my Lenovo ThinkPad 8 uses eMMC. It takes about 25 seconds for me to get Logos up and running on it if there are no updates. The Surface 3 should do no worse; it may do a little better. The Surface 3 looks like a viable option for at least some people. Smart move on Microsoft's part. 

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 7:54 PM

LaRosa, I think you will find it adequate. I have an HP Stream 13 and it runs okay on that device, but does take a long time to load and update (restart). However, once I get it loaded, it runs adequately. I have a Surface Pro 3 with the i5 processor and it runs very well on it.

Posts 124
Mark Ziebold | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 8:29 PM

I agree.  It runs excellent on the Surface 3.  What is completely surprising to me is that the indexing time on my surface is just a fraction of the time that my laptop takes to index the same works.  I have basically replaced my laptop with the surface 3 and Logos runs great on it.  

Posts 25
J. T. Shortt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 8:43 PM

I am currently running the Surface Pro 2 with i5 256 Gig SSD and 8 Gig Men. It runs extremely well. The only struggle is the loss of Display space. My Daughter just bought the Surface Pro 3 and the increase of display size and reduction in weight is awesome.

With that I would recommend against the Surface 3 for you. You drop processor, memory and display is the same size as the Surface Pro 2.

But with the Surface Pro 4 coming out in the next 3 months, you could wait and catch the Surface Pro 3 at a reduced price and get the best of both worlds with not putting out $$$$.

Hope you find this useful.

Stay Strong

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 4:51 PM

Mark Ziebold:

It runs excellent on the Surface 3.

I think you intended to say Surface Pro 3.  The Surface 3 has yet to be release.

Posts 124
Mark Ziebold | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 6:02 PM

Yes, you are correct, my mistake.  I am running the surface Pro 3 with no regrets and much faster indexing than any other computer I have ever used Logos on.  

Posts 7
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 12 2015 12:42 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I have a Surface Pro 3 with the i5 processor

Hi Kevin, is your Surface Pro 3 i5 with 4 GB or 8 GB RAM?

I am a little bit in a dilemma, I just don't know what to buy, I need Logos to be portable (like a surface devise, or so) with all the functions 

Thanks

Ragnheðin

Posts 7
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 12 2015 1:03 AM

And one more question

What about the Surface pro i3?

Regards

Ragnheðin

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 6:28 AM

I have one on order (should be in this week).  I'll let you know what my experience is like with it.

I live in Canada so the pricing is different for me, but the I3 surface pro (with keyboard) cost me $10 more than the 4gb Surface 3 would have cost.  I figured that 10 dollars for a bigger screen and much better performance was worth it:-)

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 6:55 AM

Please keep us posted!

Smile

Posts 36
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 7:33 AM

I am fascinated by the new Surface 3. I have the original Surface Pro. Logos runs very well on it. I have no speed issues. I have been waiting to see the Surface Pro 4, and this new Surface 3 was a pleasant surprise. I noticed on MS's website that it says the Surface 3 will run at 80% of the Surface Pro 3 with an i3 installed. Hmm...

Once the Pro 4 is out, the Pro 3 is less expensive, and the real world testimonies of the Surface 3 are written, then this will be a much easier decision.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 12:13 PM

New in-depth Ars Technica review of the Surface 3:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/surface-3-review-smaller-slower-cheaper-better/

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 2:52 PM

R. Mansfield:

New in-depth Ars Technica review of the Surface 3:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/surface-3-review-smaller-slower-cheaper-better/

Active link:  http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/surface-3-review-smaller-slower-cheaper-better/

....  although the benchmarks seem to help make the case for the iPad Air 2 ....

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 5:06 PM

I have an older HP Folio that does fine with 128GB ssd and 4GB ram but it's i3.

My take is that it's going to be a bit slow. Not sure how well you can live with that.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 4 (74 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS