Will Surface 3 run Logos 6.0 well you think?

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 25 2015 8:51 AM

Anyone planning on buying the Surface 3 to make use of Logos?

I have an I5 with my original Surface Pro (very old model) and wonder if it would be a step backward for me.

So expensive to upgrade.  I continue to wonder if I might be better served getting an Ipad Air 2 for mobile work, etc but I know thats a whole other "horse of a different color".

....so how do you look forward to using Logos 6.0 in the future in terms of hardware?Stick out tongue

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 9:37 AM

I'd be interested in this. I'm concerned about two things - the Atom processor, and the fact it's an eMMC drive not an SSD. The drive is half the speed of a proper SSD.

Posts 175
Orpheus Heyward | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 9:41 AM

I have a surface Pro 3.  Logos 6 works quite well.  The pen action is excellent.

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 11:19 AM

Thanks Orpheus....I cannot afford the Surface Pro 3.  I have the original Surface Pro (which most people know I dislike as its heavy and overheats a lot) and so I wonder if I should cross over to the new surface 3 or look about for a used version of what you have (and pray the costs come down).

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 11:20 AM

You may be interested in the discussion earlier this month here.

It has some helpful comments as well as the link the external article with the charts to which Mark refers.

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 11:36 AM

JoshInRI:

Thanks Orpheus....I cannot afford the Surface Pro 3.  I have the original Surface Pro (which most people know I dislike as its heavy and overheats a lot) and so I wonder if I should cross over to the new surface 3 or look about for a used version of what you have (and pray the costs come down).

Just a free opinion, the prices are beginning to come down on the Surface Pro 3 because the Surface Pro 4 is coming out in about 3 months.  These prices will come down more.  Also, many people with perfectly good Surface Pro 3 machines will want to sell them to buy the newest model.

I don't think it would be wise to settle for less than an i5 processor, 8 GB of ram, and a 256 GB hard drive.  I would rather buy a used Surface Pro 3, or give few more months for the prices to drop on the Surface Pro 3. 

In fact, I have been using my Surface Pro 2 for almost 2 years, still love the way it runs Logos 6.  I am not sure I will upgrade for another year.  Obviously, I had rather have a Surface Pro 2 with the i5, 8 GB ram, 256 HD, than a new Surface 3 without those requirements.

God bless you friend, and may He guide you and provide for you to have the tools that will bless your study of His Word.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 5:56 PM

Mr. Childs weighs in and as always is a blessing.  Thank you Kind Sir.  I am quite blessed to have the many tools I do have.

I need to acknowledge that more often.  Glory to God.

(addendum: I am NOT going to buy the Surface 3....I may save my pennies and pray for a deal on someone's discarded gently used Surface Pro 3 instead and look for an Ipad Air 2 for my electronic stable....I already own Galaxy Tablet S which does just well but is packed with features I may never use...also I notice my wifi keeps going up and down on it lately.)

Posts 2835
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 12:52 PM

I'll have it in a couple weeks ans will let you know. It has comparable hardware with a couple other machines I've tried it on and it barely runs on them. HP Stream 11 & 13 and Toshiba Encore 2 Write.

Posts 59
Chris Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 8:53 AM

Can't wait to hear your experience with the Surface 3

Posts 2835
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 6:26 PM

It's not a great experience. Loads in about a minute. But extreme lag. I click an item and it takes anywhere from a sec to three to react.

Posts 59
Chris Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 7:38 PM

Thanks for the update.  

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 3:23 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

It's not a great experience. Loads in about a minute. But extreme lag. I click an item and it takes anywhere from a sec to three to react.

That's a shame. I suspect that's due to it not having an SSD. That's the reason I decided not to buy. 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 3:43 AM

Mark Barnes:

Kevin A. Purcell:

That's a shame. I suspect that's due to it not having an SSD. That's the reason I decided not to buy. 

Does the Surface Pro have a an SSD?

Posts 29489
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 4:57 AM

Steve:

Mark Barnes:

Kevin A. Purcell:

Does the Surface Pro have a an SSD?

Yes. All tablets do for space and battery life. Most tablets are thinner than a regular hard drive!

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 5:19 AM

The Surface Pro does have an SSD. But alabama is mistaken, as cheaper tablets like the Surface do not have SSDs. They don't have traditional hard drives either, but something called eMMC. It's similar technology to memory cards, and is much slower than SSDs but a little quicker than traditional hard drives. There's more info here: http://www.howtogeek.com/196541/emmc-vs.-ssd-not-all-solid-state-storage-is-equal/ 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 5:47 AM

I wonder - if the Surface 3 were just used for reading would the experience be useful.  In other words, the proposed use for the device would be to open a book, read and highlight .. that's it.  (Yes, I know all the functionality is there but in this scenario it would not be utilized.)

What do you think of that idea?

Posts 29489
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 8:06 AM

Thanks for clarifying Mark. Smile

Posts 29489
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 8:07 AM

Steve:
What do you think of that idea?

But why not just get an iPad (or an iPad Pro!)?

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 8:14 AM

alabama24:
But why not just get an iPad (or an iPad Pro!)?
Agreed. If you can't use it as an ultra-portable, temporary, off-line, full function desktop replacement, You might as well scale down and settle for an Apple.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 8:44 AM

alabama24:

.... (or an iPad Pro!)?

Tantalizing for sure, what ever it turns out to be.   

... I guess my thought was solely on the economics, 128GB for $599 or $699.  The only other thing I have used a tablet for (in the past) is note-taking in class and I use OneNote for that - so basically a wash there.  Don't get me wrong, the iPad is a wonderful device.  I gave mine to my wife and just never replaced it.

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS