Computer Monitor Best Suited for Logos 6

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 129
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2015 11:09 PM

Phil:

I have been looking at some of those 40" monitors (e-bay, Amazon, and New EGG). If I am not using them for gaming or the likes, and using them for MS Word and Logos, Why would 30 Hz rate be bad for documents? It sounds like you have some experience with these 40" monitors.

Also how many dead pixels did you have and how irritating were they, and were they black (off), or stuck (R,G, or B)? I hear a couple or so is normal. Do you think with Logos (the primary use for this computer) a 3 or 4 dead pixels make it a no go to have such a monitor?

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2015 2:55 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

It's not just about monitor size; it's also about number (and size) of pixels.

Going for 2560x1440 (16:9) rather than 1920x1080 (16:9) may be worth the extra money.

I've seen the 27" 2560x1440 QX2710 QNIX monitors go on sale for about $200. It's probably one of the best values you'll find. I've not used that brand, but I've had good success with other inexpensive brands. I'd recommend two of them.

Other 27" monitors to consider: Acer, BenQ, ASUS, or Dell.

If you're not on a tight budget, you might consider something a little bigger with even more pixels:

The higher-resolution 34" monitors are overpriced, IMO, compared to the 4Ks. You get a lot more pixels and screen real estate with the 40" 4K for about the same money, or less. I'd personally probably go with two 40" 4K monitors if the prices would come down a bit more. If you go with a 4K monitor, make sure your graphics card can power it and it'll support 4K at a 60Hz refresh rate (requires DP 1.2 or HDMI 2.0). If you go for a smaller 4K, keep in mind that things will either get tiny or you'll need to use DPI scaling, which will effectively reduce the number of usable pixels (but increase the clarity). Also, Windows doesn't have great DPI scaling (though it might be improved in Windows 10), and it varies from app to app.

I had two of the first-gen Seiki 40" 4K TVs and used them as monitors, but ended up returning them both due to dead pixels and the limiting 30Hz refresh rate. I liked the size and amount of screen real estate though. Logos looked pretty great on it.

P.S. It's also worth considering the type of display (most commonly TN vs. IPS).

I use a 4k monitor and nothing compares. Such clear text and one 4k monitor is perfect for me. 

Posts 1955
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2015 8:57 PM

Fred Littlefield:
Why would 30 Hz rate be bad for documents?

There's a slightly noticeable delay between moving the mouse and seeing the pointer move on the screen. Many people don't think it's a big deal, as you can see from the reviews of the first-gen Seiki 39" 4K TV. It was a minor annoyance that I could have gotten used to, but the patches of dead pixels were too much. You might not mind 30Hz, but you might want to try before you do. You should be able to change the refresh rate on your current monitor to 30Hz to get the feel for it. It won't be identical, but should be close enough.

Fred Littlefield:
Also how many dead pixels did you have and how irritating were they, and were they black (off), or stuck (R,G, or B)? I hear a couple or so is normal.

It depended on the monitor. Mine came in patches, which made them more noticeable and annoying. I had anywhere from half a dozen to a dozen, depending on the monitor. I actually went through four of them and ended up sending them all back. Many people had no dead pixels. My experience was probably not normal.

Fred Littlefield:
Do you think with Logos (the primary use for this computer) a 3 or 4 dead pixels make it a no go to have such a monitor?

The dead pixels don't really effect its usability. It was more of an annoyance than anything. If I spend a lot of money on something, I like it to be perfect. If you don't have meticulous attention to detail and can live with a little imperfection, you'll probably be fine.

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 6:02 AM

The 4K monitor I own is an Acer XB280HK rated at 60 Hz refresh rate, with a response time of 1ms.  It's the first 4K Gsync monitor.  I bought it for PC gaming in 4K.  Works amazing for Logos!

And, if you're going to invest in a proper monitor, you should also invest in proper peripherals, viz. a 'mechanical' keyboard (I use a Corsair Vengeance RGB K70).  Equal attention should be paid for getting a proper mouse and mousepad as well.  Not all are created equal by ANY stretch of the means.

The keyboard I have has German Cherry MX Brown mechanical switches.  You will type WAY faster and more accurately than with any domed membrane monstrosity of a keyboard.

Peace

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS