Retiring the Send-to-Kindle Feature on 3/31

Page 5 of 9 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 162 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 9
Benjamin Handelman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2016 9:43 PM

Mark Nolette:

A caveat for anyone in the market for an Android E-Ink e-reader: some of these devices don't have the hardware acceleration settings that the current FL Android apps need, while others do. Three that I know work with current FL apps are the Boyue T62+, the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta, and the Icarus Illumina XL. The first two are 6 inch devices with a decent 212 dpi resolution. The latter is an 8 inch device with a slightly lower resolution (160 dpi). 

Thank you very much for this list.  I plan on investing in one of these devices in the next month.

Posts 2915
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2016 9:56 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Due to a combination of technical, legal, and permission issues outside our control, we're going to retire the send-to-Kindle feature on 3/31. You'll be able to use the service through the end of the month. After that point, it will no longer work. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Update: Books already sent to Kindle will not be affected by this change. You will be able to continue to enjoy them on your Kindle after 3/31.

Thanks for the heads-up. This is sad news. I didn't use the feature all the time but when I did, I loved it. For some things, reading on my kindle paperwhite was so much better. I hope that this can make a return in the future

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 12:06 PM

Well... I've just sent a dozen or so over, and I already have a few hundred on my Kindle now so I'll have plenty of casual reading for awhile.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2
Michael Grinder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 12:27 PM

That feature was the only reason I ever bought books through Logos. Until an equivalent feature is added, I won't be purchasing anything else. 

Posts 8895
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 1:11 PM

Michael Grinder:

That feature was the only reason I ever bought books through Logos. Until an equivalent feature is added, I won't be purchasing anything else. 

I too am disappointed but I would not say it was the "only" reason why I bought  books through Logos. I'm curious, do you not find any value in the desktop and mobile applications?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3023
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 10:54 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Michael Grinder:

I too am disappointed but I would not say it was the "only" reason why I bought  books through Logos. I'm curious, do you not find any value in the desktop and mobile applications?

Did you only buy books from Faithlife that were unavailable on Amazon for the Kindle or that were cheaper from Faithlife?

Posts 36
J. Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 5:19 PM

Well bummer.  My Kindle Voyage (e ink), which I bought for this specific purpose, had become my preferred way of reading books from cover to cover.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 8:36 PM

I am absolutely floored by this.  Words fail me.

Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 13 2016 1:02 AM

For those that are interested, I've created a quick video tutorial on what it will take to get your books onto a Kindle after 31 March. You might want to watch that to decide whether to spend the next two weeks sending hundreds of books to Kindle, just in case! After reviewing my options, I've decided not to do that.

Video Tutorial: How to Send to Kindle after the "Send to Kindle" service is switched off

Posts 7
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 9:19 AM

What is "The old way"

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 9:38 AM

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

What is "The old way"

See Mark's thread here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/124007.aspx 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2915
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 11:58 AM

I wonder if Logos would be willing to make an export format that we could then manually send to kindle on our own to keep the hyperlinks. That way Logos doesn't have to be the one to interact with Kindle, but we could still send to Kindle with hyperlinks

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 7
Nathanael King | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 10:42 PM

This is just really, really poor customer service. You're removing a feature that adds value to all our resources. I'll definitely be purchasing items on amazon rather than on logos because of this. Please consider allowing books to be downloaded as epub or mobi files to compensate users for the loss of this feature. It seems deceptive that you advertised this as a feature that people based their decision to upgrade on, and now you're removing it. If this wasn't Bible software, you would probably find yourselves having to deal with a class-action lawsuit.  Please consider reversing your decision or providing an alternative. 

Posts 26256
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 10:53 PM

Nathanael King:
This is just really, really poor customer service.

You did notice that there are legal considerations, right?

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Due to a combination of technical, legal, and permission issues outside our control, we're going to retire the send-to-Kindle feature on 3/31.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/06/15/baen-books-reveals-amazons-byzantine-policies-on-kindle-email-delivery/

http://shop.oreilly.com/category/customer-service/kindle.do

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/30e3lr/amazon_pulls_plug_from_the_free_send_to_kindle/

http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-news/amazon-disables-send-to-kindle-on-rival-bookstores

My take is a bit different as I had wondered about legal issues when it was first implemented ,,, but I think we need to be realistic and find legal and ethical ways to get the functionality we need.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 11:06 PM

Nathanael King:
Please consider reversing your decision or providing an alternative. 

For alternative, see thread => Video Tutorial: How to Send to Kindle after the "Send to Kindle" service is switched off

Nathanael King:
This is just really, really poor customer service.

Observation: Amazon has a business incentive to encourage more purchases for Amazon by discouraging other eBook sellers from sending to Kindle.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 292
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2016 10:39 AM

WOW! This is so sad to hear.Crying

Posts 3
Josh "Hawaii" Nelson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2016 3:24 PM

I just got an email about this today....and it's already disabled. I do wish I knew about that because I used the feature last year and just started using it again a few days ago. I would have sent over a few more books. I really wish you emailed this out to me sooner!!

I love that in the devotional I sent over I can read my preferred version through hyperlinks. That's pretty amazing. 

Will it be possible to export a .mobi or .epub in the near future?

Posts 30
178294z | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2016 6:04 PM

Very sad to hear of this. I wish I would have heard of it before today. This feature is a MAJOR draw to Logos and one reason I have chosen to buy logos formats over other features. 

Posts 1810
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2016 7:27 PM

Josh "Hawaii" Nelson:

I just got an email about this today....and it's already disabled. I do wish I knew about that because I used the feature last year and just started using it again a few days ago. I would have sent over a few more books. I really wish you emailed this out to me sooner!!

I love that in the devotional I sent over I can read my preferred version through hyperlinks. That's pretty amazing.

178294z:

Very sad to hear of this. I wish I would have heard of it before today. This feature is a MAJOR draw to Logos and one reason I have chosen to buy logos formats over other features. 

I'm really sorry this is the first you'd heard of it. Anyone who used the feature was supposed to be notified a few weeks ago, but it looks like that didn't happen. I'm going to see if we can keep the feature active for another couple of weeks for those of you who didn't get notified before today.

Posts 322
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2016 7:54 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I'm really sorry this is the first you'd heard of it. Anyone who used the feature was supposed to be notified a few weeks ago, but it looks like that didn't happen. I'm going to see if we can keep the feature active for another couple of weeks for those of you who didn't get notified before today.

First I've heard of this was tonight, which prompted me to checkout the Forum list to see if there were more details. I was surprised that it was allowed for this long of a time period...we live in a more secular world than at any time before. This won't change any of my buying habits with FL, but I wish I didn't need to buy from Amazon, since it isn't close to what I get from Logos, Many more things I could say, other than Amazon has been a bad crutch in my life, and like with so many other things, it's too easy to spend unnecessary money on "things".

Blessings, 

Page 5 of 9 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS