Video Tutorial: How to Send to Kindle after the "Send to Kindle" service is switched off

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 11797
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 12 2016 3:35 PM

Faithlife have announced that on 31 March 2016, they're disabling their "Send to Kindle" service. That means you won't be able to automatically send Logos resource to Kindle. There's good news though. You can still send Logos resources to a Kindle device, it just takes a little longer (about 10 minutes per resource). These walkthrough will guide you through that process.

And there's more good news: It's a lot simpler than it used to be in Logos 5 days.

First, here's the video: https://youtu.be/ANfakC6QSlw 

Or, if you prefer, here are instructions:

1. Download the Send to Kindle software from www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle and install it.
  2. In Program Settings, make sure "Copy footnotes" reflects your preference.
  3. Open the resource you want to send, and on the resource menu:
    • Reduce the text size to the minimum possible.
    • Make sure "Show footnotes on page" is off.
    • Choose Print/Export
  4. Change the margins to "Narrow"
  5. Switch the paper size to the largest possible (e.g. A2). Switching to a virtual printer (such as the newly installed "Send to Kindle" printer), will give you more options than a physical printer.
  6. In the reference box type Page i-9999 and press Enter.
  7. Make sure you're not over the 100 page limit, and send to Microsoft Word. If you are over the limit, you'll have to send a second batch containing the missing pages.
  8. Now, in Word:
    • Press CTRL+A then CTRL+SHIFT+F9 to remove all hyperlinks.
    • If you want, remove the formatting from old hyperlinks by clicking in one, then choose "Select text with similar formatting". The set the font to automatic, and removing the underline.
    • Repeat the above step for the footnotes, and for any hyperlinks in italics.
    • Find a chapter heading in the document, and again choose "Select Text with similar formatting".
    • Right-click on the Heading 1 style and choose "Update to Match Selection". That will ensure your chapter headings appear in your TOC.
    • Repeat the step above for level 2 headings, if desired.
    • If your document has a Table of Contents, you can delete it (the links no longer work, anyway). Replace it with a Word TOC, by clicking on the References tab and choosing "Table of Contents". The style doesn't matter, but I prefer a custom TOC with "show page numbers" deselected. If you want to show
    • Save your document.
  9. Find your document, then right-click on it and choose "Send to Kindle". Enter the title and author, and click send.

That's it! The whole process should take less than 10 minutes.

Posts 8967
Forum MVP
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 3:41 PM

You are a champ, Mark Barnes.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1412
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 13 2016 1:25 AM

Thanks, Mark! Great summary and video.

FWIW - maybe I've just had bad luck, but I've found that I won't get a fully native Kindle Table of Contents, even having applied Heading 1, 2, etc., unless I actually create a Word "table of contents" at the very end of the document. 

Posts 7764
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 13 2016 4:20 AM

Thanks so much for sharing Mark. It will offer hope to many.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1662
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 13 2016 7:11 AM

I don't have a kindle yet, but I will when Amazon create a bigger kindle. So, this is great!

Posts 389
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 13 2016 7:37 AM

Has anyone tried this on a Mac? If I type "Page i-9999" in the reference box and press enter, I get no response, and I can't get the send to kindle printer to show any paper size bigger than A4 in Logos.

Posts 147
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 14 2016 12:46 AM

Does this method preserve internal footnote functionality where footnotes in the text on the Kindle appear as clickable links that display the footnote as a popup? I understand links to external resources won't work, I just really like how the footnotes currently work.

Logos 6 on Windows

Posts 11797
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 14 2016 5:48 AM

danwdoo:

Does this method preserve internal footnote functionality where footnotes in the text on the Kindle appear as clickable links that display the footnote as a popup? I understand links to external resources won't work, I just really like how the footnotes currently work.

Yes, it preserves footnotes.

Posts 474
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 14 2016 5:52 AM

Mark this video is very, very helpful.  I (and many others) truly appreciate you taking the time to make it.

Thank you.

Posts 11797
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 14 2016 5:59 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
FWIW - maybe I've just had bad luck, but I've found that I won't get a fully native Kindle Table of Contents, even having applied Heading 1, 2, etc., unless I actually create a Word "table of contents" at the very end of the document. 

You're right — this does seem unreliable, and creating a Word TOC seems to be the answer.

I've found that it doesn't need to be at the end of the document. You can replace the TOC at the beginning of your document instead. I'll see if I can edit that into the video!

Posts 1021
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 1:43 PM

Mark thank you so much! I just sent many many books to kindle and then realized Amazon disabled the ability to download from the Amazon Cloud to your computer, so you can't convert anything to epub. This is the format I need for the Marvin app, so this video is a life saver!

Posts 183
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 7:34 PM

I can still download those files from Amazon without a problem. Not from the first page you see, but if you click on "All Files" and then My Send-to-Kindle docs. Does that not work for you?

Posts 1301
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 9:05 PM

Absolutely brilliant Mark. Many thanks, I've always wanted to know how to quickly reformat TOCs in Word like that 

Logos 7.11 Beta 2  | Dell Lat. E5530 Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 8GB, SSD | OSX 10.11.6 iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | iPad Air | iPhone 7plus 5.7.2

Posts 1021
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 8:23 AM

Mark will the hyperlinks to preferred Bible translations in the Bible references still show up as footnotes as they did with the send to kindle feature when using this method?

Posts 11797
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 8:28 AM

Liam:

Mark will the hyperlinks to preferred Bible translations in the Bible references still show up as footnotes as they did with the send to kindle feature when using this method?

No, unfortunately.

Posts 1021
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 10:43 AM

Ok bummer! Thank you!

Posts 1021
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 10:48 AM

James McAdams:

Has anyone tried this on a Mac? If I type "Page i-9999" in the reference box and press enter, I get no response, and I can't get the send to kindle printer to show any paper size bigger than A4 in Logos.

Im also on a Mac. Im having issues with this as well. I don't think the printer size feature has ever worked for me, and is something that Logos has yet to implement for the Mac version. It has always had no options. The page count works sometimes, but for very large resources it lags painfully slow. I waited forever for Matthew Henry's commentary this morning and ended up just giving up on it.

Posts 11797
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 11:49 AM

Liam:
I don't think the printer size feature has ever worked for me, and is something that Logos has yet to implement for the Mac version.

Does this help? https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18619?locale=en_US 

Posts 1021
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 8:08 PM

Mark Barnes:

Liam:
I don't think the printer size feature has ever worked for me, and is something that Logos has yet to implement for the Mac version.

Does this help? https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18619?locale=en_US 

Mark, in Logos I was able to get the basic sizes to show up by installing "send to kindle" and setting it up. As for the Mac settings menu, mine is a bit different than the one linked here, and I have many options in it to choose from. My problem is that even when I select them from settings, none of the larger than average options show in Logos for some reason.

Posts 23
Jim Poulsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2016 10:31 PM

Is there a way to filter the library to only show resources that have not been sent to kindle? Or can we automatically create a collection of not sent-to-kindle resources?

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.