New Feature: Sermon Editor

Page 2 of 13 (257 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 256 Replies | 27 Followers

Posts 752
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:14 PM

If I want to move text from one line to another in the Sermon document I cut, paste and reformat the text in its new location.  Is there a way to drag and drop lines to reorder them (retaining their formating)?  If not, can that be added

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:25 PM

Abram,

I agree about the power of mind mapping. It has really helped tighten and focus my preaching. I do slides every Sunday, so the Sermon Editor is a tool that could potentially be a huge time saver. I'm excited about giving it a try this week.

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:43 PM

I'm with you on that, Clint!

I like the idea Eleanor had, too--there are some great Markdown apps that do this that you all could check out if you need a model (FoldingText for Mac, Editorial for iOS). Even Google now has in its Docs and auto-outline population feature in a sidebar. Would make a great addition to this tool

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 203
Jackie Watts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 7:32 PM

Any way we could upload our own backgrounds? (We use a separate service called 'Graceway Media') This would add a lot of functionality for me.

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Tim Hensler:
Is there a way to drag and drop lines to reorder them (retaining their formating)?

Drag-and-drop editing for paragraphs is not currently supported.

Tim Hensler:
 If not, can that be added

We'll add it to the list of features we're considering for future releases. Thanks for the suggestion!

Posts 19
Josh Weiland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 7:44 PM

Clint Cozier:

Wow.....sermon editor is a great idea, but I've got an additional (important) step in my workflow. I've become a huge fan of mind mapping tools to structure sermons and lessons. For a while, I used markdown to outline using headings (as per the editor) in a text editor before writing but about a year ago started using mind mapping software to work through my initial structure. I'd love for the sermon editor to be able to import an OPML file from a mind mapping application into the editor.

Agreed!!

It'd be icing on the cake if Logos would export sermon docs to markdown... 

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 7:45 PM

Jackie Watts:

Any way we could upload our own backgrounds? (We use a separate service called 'Graceway Media') This would add a lot of functionality for me.

Yes

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 205
Jeffrey S. Robison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:23 PM

I am liking what I see in the Sermon Editor. I would like to see the ability to add some color to the text in text view. I use colored text as markers and visual cues in my outlines and manuscripts.

Posts 60
陶小占 Jimmy To | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:24 PM

Is it possible to copy the sermon document as a template?

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 12:07 AM

陶小占 Jimmy To:
Is it possible to copy the sermon document as a template?

You may via https://documents.logos.com/ which has a duplicate function.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 12:12 AM

I'm thrilled to see the Sermon Writer on Logos 7. It's a great step, and has some nice features. However, in creating great advanced features, it seems like the designers have forgotten some basic functionality (I'll humbly accept correction if I've misspoken).

1. A large % of users (assumption) preach from mobile devices. Why would the capability to load sermons to the mobile app not be included? Editing in mobile is a feature that can come later, but we need a basic read-only feature in mobile right away.

2. Keyboard function is critically lacking. I have to use arrows on my keyboard to go back to the beginning of a line opposed to keyboard shortcuts  (a small but frustrating and time consuming problem). I'm also unable to add accent marks to words. I preach in French, and accent marks can change whether I'm preaching about a sinner, a fisherman, or a peach--it's a big deal. Logos has standard keyboard shortcuts enabled across the platform, except for Sermons.

3. I was already using copy and paste between Logos and MS Word to add content to my sermons. I was a bit surprised I still have to do this with Sermons. If I didn't know you could highlight and "Send to Notes" in Logos, I wouldn't even consider this. But the fact that it's so easy to add something to a note makes me wonder why I still have to copy and paste to Sermons. 

4. Adding other translations besides preferred from within the Sermons tab? Copy and paste?

Again, I couldn't be more thrilled with the introduction of Sermon Writer. I love the creativity of Logos in going beyond the basics to make a product work hard for the end user (sort of). I'm just afraid that this point that in adding great advanced features, they have forgotten some of the basics.  I'm looking forward to updates sooner rather than later to address some of the basic functions that are missing.

Anyone else, thoughts?

Posts 14
Lee Shing Pui | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 2:09 AM

It's pretty that I can't input Chinese character in the editor.

Posts 987
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 6:45 AM

I'm also thrilled to see the Sermon Editor! It looks like it's going to be an incredibly helpful tool! 

I love that slides are created as I write. I can see this saving me a lot of time. 

The ability to sync with mobile and then preach from a tablet will be the number one feature that gets me using Sermon Editor. Otherwise, there's little point right now. 

Also, I use a colour coding system in my sermons to indicate Statement, Explanation, Illustration, Application etc. Right now there is no way to change the colour of text in the editor (as far as I can tell). Is that something that could be considered!?

I'm enjoying exploring this great-looking new tool! 

Posts 8022
LogosEmployee

Jeffrey S. Robison:
I use colored text as markers and visual cues in my outlines and manuscripts.

The Sermon Editor supports something similar with the "Prompt" style.

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Jeremy:
... a basic read-only feature in mobile right away.

We do plan on supporting sermon documents in our mobile app. In the meantime, a basic read-only access to your Sermon is available on SoundFaith.com. You can post the Sermon there using the "Export..." button.

Jeremy:
Keyboard function is critically lacking. I have to use arrows on my keyboard to go back to the beginning of a line opposed to keyboard shortcuts  (a small but frustrating and time consuming problem). I'm also unable to add accent marks to words.

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm able to use keyboard shortcuts like Home and End to move to the beginning of a line and Ctrl+Left/Ctrl+Right to move by words. We'd love to fix this. Can you provide any more detail about these problems?

Jeremy:
... the fact that it's so easy to add something to a note makes me wonder why I still have to copy and paste to Sermons.

We went with paste because it's much easier to explicitly position where you want the pasted content to appear. Paste gives you greater control over where you put your content. But we are considering a "Send to Sermon" feature.

Jeremy:
Adding other translations besides preferred from within the Sermons tab? Copy and paste?

Yes, from the specific translation you want to quote, right-click anywhere within the verse. On the right side of context menu, select the tab corresponding to the reference, then click Copy (on the left). Pasting into the Sermon document will add a passage card for the specific translation you copied from.

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Lee Shing Pui:
... I can't input Chinese character in the editor.

Thanks for the report. We'll investigate this issue.

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Richard Wardman:
Right now there is no way to change the colour of text in the editor (as far as I can tell). Is that something that could be considered!?

Yes, we are considering how to best support this.

Posts 987
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 7:38 AM

Jacob Carpenter (Faithlife):
Yes, we are considering how to best support this.

Thanks Jacob!! That's great news. 

If there was any way of creating custom 'styles' like in Word, or similar to the Highlighting tool, that would also be awesome!

This is a great future that I think is going to get used a lot by many.

Thanks Faithlife!

Posts 60
陶小占 Jimmy To | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:07 AM

Thanks Smith,

I though the Copy document function can be done within the Logos application system. Stick out tongue

Posts 3
Scott Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:39 AM

Just upgraded to 7.  In my documents menu, I don't have anything called "Sermon Editor."  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

Page 2 of 13 (257 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS