An announcement from Lexham Press regarding EEC James

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Jesse Myers | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2016 10:02 AM

Lexham Press has withdrawn from publication Dr. William Varner’s Evangelical Exegetical Commentary volume on James. We discovered that the volume contains a number of uncited and improperly cited passages from other works, blurring the distinction between quoted and original material.

Lexham Press, and the editors of the EEC, are committed to the highest scholarly standards of accuracy and ethical standards of integrity. We regret that these problems were not discovered before publication, and are further strengthening our editorial review process. We will contract a replacement James volume for the EEC from another author. Logos customers who wish to return their copy of James should contact Lexham at customerservice@lexhampress.com to be reimbursed for the amount of their purchase. Customers who bought the print edition may contact us at the same address for return and reimbursement instructions.

We presented our findings and our plans to Dr. Varner; here is his response, which he wishes to make public:

“In assuming too many writing projects, I was not careful enough in this commentary to adequately cite some of my sources. I also was not always diligent to clearly express in my own words material that I gleaned from others. Although I did not deliberately misuse the work of other writers, I sincerely apologize for my lack of care in reporting my research. I ask forgiveness from all who trusted me to be an accurate handler of the Word (2 Tim 2:15), a responsibility that I take seriously.”

We apologize for any problems this may cause for our readers, endorsers, and other partners; we are dedicated to doing whatever we can to put this right and to ensure all Lexham Press publications uphold our commitment to quality and truthfulness.

Brannon Ellis, Publisher, Lexham Press

H. Wayne House, EEC General Editor

Posts 1670
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 10:15 AM

Thanks for your words Jesse.

I plan on keeping this volume since I find great help in it. 

Posts 10147
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:07 PM

Jesse Myers:
Lexham Press has withdrawn from publication Dr. William Varner’s Evangelical Exegetical Commentary volume on James. 

How does this affect those of us who have already paid for the entire series? I have some other thoughts, but will keep my question basic until I hear your response.

Mac Logs | PC Logs | Install 

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Jesse Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:11 PM

Hi Jack, we are not revoking licenses, so you are free to keep the current EEC James. You will also receive the replacement EEC James when it is complete (we are currently working on acquiring a new author).   

Posts 10147
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:28 PM

Jesse Myers:

Hi Jack, we are not revoking licenses, so you are free to keep the current EEC James. You will also receive the replacement EEC James when it is complete (we are currently working on acquiring a new author).   

You also answered my followup question. That is very good news for me Party!!!.

Mac Logs | PC Logs | Install 

Posts 867
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:59 PM

One of the promotional codes for purchasing a Logos 7 base package was for a free copy of EEC James (https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129593/843088.aspx). I was planning on taking advantage of this, but was waiting to purchase a base package until the new topical bundles are released (https://community.logos.com/forums/p/130735/850124.aspx) so I could make a more informed decision. I was looking forward to that particular freebie and now it appears I have missed my chance. Would Faithlife consider offering a coupon code for a different EEC volume instead, possibly a volume other than the Johannine Epistles or Esther, which were previously the free book of the month and accompanying plus one? I had almost pulled the trigger on a base package early this morning, and now I am wishing I had. Crying

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Jesse Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 2:19 PM

Hi Matthew, 

Sorry for this inconvenience. I'll have someone from customer service reach out. Those promotions should be updated, but I don't have confirmation yet on what they will now offer.  

Posts 460
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:19 PM

Jesse,

just a thought, why can't the author fix the existing manuscript? this volume was very well received, and it seems a shame to toss it out.

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Jesse Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:38 PM

Hi Bobby, 

Unfortunately, the nature of the text's problems precluded this option.  

Posts 2265
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:32 PM

When I read the book, something didn't feel quite right about it.

Lexham Press is doing the responsible thing. Thank you.

Posts 2828
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 10:15 PM

This is sad. I have found Dr. Varner's commentary very helpful. It would have been more helpful if references were cited thoroughly. 

Thank you for making us aware of this. I really hope that there is a way that the commentary could be cited appropriately and released as it is helpful.

Thank you, Lexham, for your integrity here. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1670
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 9:40 AM

How will this affect the mobile ed course on James and links to the EEC volume?

Posts 435
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 11:38 AM

After the Peter O'Brien/Eerdman's incident in August, it seems that a lot of publishers will be reviewing their catalogs for plagiarism.  I hope that this doesn't become an epidemic...

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Jesse Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 11:46 AM

Hi Kenneth, licences are not being revoked, so the EEC volume will function as it did before. The Mobile Ed. course is still available for sale. 

Kenneth Neighoff:

How will this affect the mobile ed course on James and links to the EEC volume?

Posts 1670
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 11:57 AM

I should have clarified my question. Since you are pulling the EEC volume by Varner. If someone buys the course and sees a locked symbol by the Varner title and goes to look for it in the Faithlife/Logos store.  will you be putting a statement into the mobile ed course why that volume is no longer for sale. 

Posts 8650
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 11:58 AM

Tony Thomas:
After the Peter O'Brien/Eerdman's incident in August

And Don Carson wrote glowing words about two of these commentaries. I don't expect Carson to do a detailed check for citations, but if the commentaries are as good as he thinks, it is extra sad that this is somehow based on the transfer of information that Eerdman's now finds sufficient to destroy all its existing copies. With a bit more work and editorial oversight perhaps this could have been avoided.

I believe both Varner and O'Brien when they say that what happened was unintentional. They are both respected scholars. Perhaps it is the pressure of writing so much that authors don't have the time to properly cite sources and to give credit for strong influences on their final text (and/or whatever else was wrong). It's a sad situation for them, for the publishers, and for us.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 659
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 12:02 PM

Tony Thomas:

After the Peter O'Brien/Eerdman's incident in August, it seems that a lot of publishers will be reviewing their catalogs for plagiarism.  I hope that this doesn't become an epidemic...

Now that everything is electronically produced, it is much easier to do. On the flip side, it is much easier to catch. Many universities now put all student papers into common folders and run text-matching software against them to detect plagiarism. It is very simple to do. I shudder to think what would pop out if Logos did that with all of their e-books...

Posts 435
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 12:13 PM

JH:

Tony Thomas:

Now that everything is electronically produced, it is much easier to do. On the flip side, it is much easier to catch. Many universities now put all student papers into common folders and run text-matching software against them to detect plagiarism. It is very simple to do. I shudder to think what would pop out if Logos did that with all of their e-books...

That would be a cool tool for Logos to put into their software...a plagiarism checker!

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 48
LogosEmployee
John Schwandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 1:10 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

I should have clarified my question. Since you are pulling the EEC volume by Varner. If someone buys the course and sees a locked symbol by the Varner title and goes to look for it in the Faithlife/Logos store.  will you be putting a statement into the mobile ed course why that volume is no longer for sale. 

We will be updating the course to resolve the issue.  We will be removing links to the EEC volume and adding new links.  Thanks for the clarification and your patience.

Posts 8051
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 2:27 PM

This is sad but I'm thankful that Faithlife is doing the right thing.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS