Counterpoints Software Sale: $7 Apiece at Olive Tree and Accordance

Page 1 of 6 (111 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 110 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4362
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 8 2016 10:57 AM

Why is this not also featured on logos?

http://zondervanacademic.com/blog/counterpoints-software-sale-at-olive-tree-and-accordance/ 

Posts 4362
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 11:06 AM

Someone had the same idea and asked on the blog... their response was: "We attempted that and it just couldn't work out. I apologize -- I hope our next software sale will be at all vendors. ^Adam F."

It seems like it was offered to Logos and they said no so... yeah

Posts 1079
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 11:16 AM

Competition is inconvenient. Wink

Posts 4362
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 11:33 AM

William Gabriel:

This is true except it seems, from what the rep said, that Zondervan tried to offer this sale at Logos and they refused (who knows why).  I could be reading into it or he could have stated it wrong but I'm definitely sad this wasn't made available to us.  These books look interesting and I would have bought quite a few at $7.

Posts 930
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 12:33 PM

Mattillo:

William Gabriel:

This is true except it seems, from what the rep said, that Zondervan tried to offer this sale at Logos and they refused (who knows why).  I could be reading into it or he could have stated it wrong but I'm definitely sad this wasn't made available to us.  These books look interesting and I would have bought quite a few at $7.

The primary reason we were not able to participate in this sale is that it would have undermined our policy/commitment that the pre-pub price is the lowest price we will offer on a product.

Director, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 5527
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 12:54 PM

Ben Amundgaard:
The primary reason we were not able to participate in this sale is that it would have undermined our policy/commitment that the pre-pub price is the lowest price we will offer on a product.

Thank you Ben for trying to do the right thing by those of us who did purchase at a higher price but Genuine Zondervan Sales historically are few and far between and I think offering to customers would have been the right thing to do.

I don't know off hand how long ago these were on pre-pub, I purchased mine I believe as part of a larger Zondervan Collection so can't see them specifically in my order history   A time limit on enforcing this policy to the letter of the law should apply. it will benefit others and we all have to accept price fluctuation are the nature of modern life, there is always someone who at some point will come along and offer a better deal.  

As I already own all of these books and probably paid higher than $7 a volume then I would be the one of the people you are breaking that commitment too but I have no objections to you doing so. 

Posts 4362
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:17 PM

I agree with DOC.  If it is a publisher sale then it takes it off of your shoulders.  Also as DOC mentioned when were all of these titles that are offered up for prepub?  If it is greather than [X time period] then I would say that it is ok.  If I go buy a fridge and it goes on sale the next year I don't get offended.  That's just the way sales go.  I don't know if it is too late but I know I would appreciate getting a bite at this Counterpoints sale

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:35 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

I hope that policy can be revisited, as such an arbitrary restriction locks other Logos users out from publisher promotions, and hurts the relationship between Faithlife, publishers, and users.

When a better price comes along down the road, I doubt that pre-pub purchasers would a) regret having purchased and had access to the resource all that time, or b) resent anyone else from ever getting a better deal on a resource we had purchased.

Perhaps a more charitable policy would be that if a publisher offers a sale, the sale would be passed on to all Logos users.

Mattillo:

If I go buy a fridge and it goes on sale the next year I don't get offended.  That's just the way sales go.

Yes

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 1079
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:40 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Mattillo:

William Gabriel:

Hmm, I can think of a few workarounds that would be good for customers, but...inconvenient. One of them is to have the sale drop the books back to the pre-pub price. There are other acceptable alternatives...

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:44 PM

Yeah this policy doesn't seem a good one to me. 

1. I don't think prepub ever actually DOES make that commitment to be the lowest price ever available. It just gives you a good price. 

2. Logos has discounted resources below prepub price before (eg the Zondervan 6 for 60 sale recently)

something isn't right. 

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:44 PM

I already own Counterpoints and get your policy, but it makes no sense to me. The rare sales from Zondervan should have exception.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:48 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Observation: when community pre-publication is included in a Base Package, the price per resource can be substantially less than individual resource purchase (even for pre-publication resources that have not yet shipped individually).

Dreaming of policy time limit(s) for pre-pub lowest price so a publisher sale with lower price can happen. For pre-pub resources within the past few months, perhaps "sale" price could be the pre-pub price. For resources that shipped longer ago, their "sale" price could be lower.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:49 PM

Where on this page is a commitment to prepub being the lowest ever price?

https://www.logos.com/prepub/about

Posts 675
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:54 PM

In my opinion the Logos business model keeps competitive pricing away. This is good for Logos's competitors. Logos wants to protect their pre-pub customers which results in overpriced books and an exemption from future publisher sales.  Logos's pre-pub policy needs revamped. Hopefully, this is on Bob's to do list.

Posts 80
EX | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 2:01 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Mattillo:

William Gabriel:

Except it is not true.

For example, when New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis came out...the prepub price was $199.95.

And during the Zondervan 6 at 60 sales in September, the price dropped down to $79.99

Hmm Just saying...

PCA Church
L4 Platinum, L5 Reformed Platinum, L6 Reformed Diamond, Reformed Studies XL, Platinum, Logos Now

Posts 930
LogosEmployee

EX:

Ben Amundgaard:

Mattillo:

William Gabriel:

Except it is not true.

For example, when New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis came out...the prepub price was $199.95.

And during the Zondervan 6 at 60 sales in September, the price dropped down to $79.99

Hmm Just saying...

There have been occasions when things have slipped by us. There are probably other instances of this as well. We try do all we can to avoid it.

Posts 4362
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 2:15 PM

I would appreciate it if you would do away with it or at least put a limit on it... it seems a tad ridiculous to me that (in this instance) I'll never have a chance to get a good deal on some of the counterpoints books at least until Jesus returns. 

Posts 930
LogosEmployee

PetahChristian:

I hope that policy can be revisited, as such an arbitrary restriction locks other Logos users out from publisher promotions, and hurts the relationship between Faithlife, publishers, and users.

We do plan to revisit the policy in the new year. We just want to make sure we've worked out all the details so we can reset customers expectations accurately and spell the terms out clearly.

Posts 4362
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 2:18 PM

Mattillo:

I would appreciate it if you would do away with it or at least put a limit on it... it seems a tad ridiculous to me that (in this instance) I'll never have a chance to get a good deal on some of the counterpoints books at least until Jesus returns. 

Granted I wouldn't need these when he does return...

Posts 4362
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 2:19 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

PetahChristian:

We do plan to revisit the policy in the new year. We just want to make sure we've worked out all the details so we can reset customers expectations accurately and spell the terms out clearly.

I sure hope you do because all you are doing is alienating new customers from good deals that are being set by publishers.  I can understand if you choose not to offer these deals on your own but if the publisher wants to sell these at a deal then you should let it go through. 

Page 1 of 6 (111 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS