Logos 7 Basic Available Now (formerly free core engine)

Page 4 of 5 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 90 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 3:05 PM

Sean Boisen:
I believe it's included. It should be listed in the Library under "The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition".

No, it is not included.

I suspect that a Greek NT may be outside the need of the projected Logos7 Basic user.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 142
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 3:30 PM

Mark, maybe for a lot of people. But... there are youth group leaders at my church who have studied Greek at university. They aren't seminary trained but have enough of an interest to want it. 

Additionally, it will look good on the product page and if it's free anyway, then... why not?

Posts 24664
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 3:46 PM

Andrew116:

Mark, maybe for a lot of people. But... there are youth group leaders at my church who have studied Greek at university. They aren't seminary trained but have enough of an interest to want it. 

Additionally, it will look good on the product page and if it's free anyway, then... why not?

Whether included in the base package or not there is no reason people, such as your youth group leaders, can't "purchase" it and add it to their library 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 3:56 PM

I agree with Mark's 'projected' user. I write neural nets that can re-write the NT in greek (maybe a few style issues) and I like the languages.

But if the user is intro, greek will scare them off. The OT/NT interlinears are perfect.  Then attach pointers to free Logos resources (like SBL), etc.  Keep it 'basic'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 4:00 PM

Andrew116:

One reason might be that original language resources and tools don't tend to appear until Bronze packages or higher.

I'd think that anyone who tried out Basic, then upgraded to Starter would be very limited in what they actually could do, without other necessary Greek resources or features.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 142
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 4:29 PM

Like what, Petah?

I don't see how it scares people off any more than including the Greek / English lectionaries does..?

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 4:51 PM

Andrew116:
I don't see how it scares people off any more than including the Greek / English lectionaries does..?

The Greek NT might scare off some folks. That said, Logos 7 Basic does have a rudimentary Greek lexicon and allows Morph searching of the SBL Greek text. You get analysis view, too. Morph tagging visible by hovering over the Greek text, and you can perform a Bible Word Study on a Greek word in the ways Logos usually allows.

So, if one is interested in Greek, they could download the free SBL edition and check out some of the things Logos can do with original languages using Logos 7 Basic.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 142
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 5:01 PM

"So, if one is interested in Greek, they could download the free SBL edition and check out some of the things Logos can do with original languages using Logos 7 Basic."

But would they know how to do this? Why not just include it...

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 5:06 PM

Andrew116:
But would they know how to do this? Why not just include it...

It's up to FL. You've made a case for doing so.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 32180
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 6:35 PM

Andrew116:
Why not just include it...

Because it would make people like myself far less willing to suggest the use of Logos in my parish. Why? because it gives the impression that Logos is not for the average "pew warmer" and because it gives the impression that Logos encourages pretending to know a language one does not.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 952
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 8:47 PM

Mark Smith:

Sean Boisen:
I believe it's included. It should be listed in the Library under "The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition".

No, it is not included.

I suspect that a Greek NT may be outside the need of the projected Logos7 Basic user.

I checked what downloads with Logos Basic, and the SBL GNT is indeed included. But it's not listed on the product page, which is a little puzzling to me.

Posts 378
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2017 7:28 AM

While I understand this perspective, I must say that I know lots (a majority) of people serving in parish ministry who have lost their ability to work in the biblical languages for whom Logos and a reverse interlinear would be a great way to become reintroduced to tools they have forgotten since Seminary. I'm noodling around developing some material for local groups of pastors that suggests ways they can use those long-lost Greek and Hebrew skills in their preaching workflow. I've always thought I'd work from the  STEP Bible tool because it integrates a nice set of texts and reference tools at a great price (as in free). I'd prefer Logos because I know Logos can grow with them through their careers. May of the people I know made investmetns in tools like Bibleworks (even an occasional Gramcord user), so they are already skeptical about investing in tools they may not use. Somethiing lite but functional would be great. I wonder if the interface could be adjusted....some kind of original languages very lite offering for free or a very nominal fee ($49.99) that is simply the Logos 7 Basic package with some additional resources and tweeks to the interface. They are different markets, but my experience with collegues leads me to believe that there is a need to be addressed in both areas.

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2017 7:45 AM

Sean Boisen:
I checked what downloads with Logos Basic, and the SBL GNT is indeed included. But it's not listed on the product page, which is a little puzzling to me.

Sean, I'm sorry, but I checked my Library as well as the product page. The two Bibles I had were those listed on the product page, no SBL Greek NT. I had to 'order' and download the Greek NT separately. I wonder what others have found?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 279
LogosEmployee
Daniel Di Bartolo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2017 9:29 AM

Dropping by to hopefully bring some clarity here. 

Currently, when you create an account on or access Logos THROUGH the Logos mobile app, you are given access to the SBLGNT as well as some other resources. In the near future, the free resources that you're given access to on mobile will be the Logos Basic collection.

That means you will get access to the same free Bible study resources (Logos Basic) whether you enter the Faithlife ecosystem through the desktop or the mobile app. 

This also means that you may need to transact to obtain some of the other resources (like the SBLGNT) that are available for free elsewhere on Logos.com. We have omitted the SBLGNT from Logos Basic for a few reasons, but you will still be able to get it for free through its product page.

This change will likely happen in the next week or two-- after it is sufficiently tested in beta. 

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2017 9:37 AM

Daniel Di Bartolo:

That means you will get access to the same free Bible study resources (Logos Basic) whether you enter the Faithlife ecosystem through the desktop or the mobile app. 

YesYes Awesome!

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2017 10:50 AM

Daniel Di Bartolo:

In the near future, the free resources that you're given access to on mobile will be the Logos Basic collection.

Thanks for the update, Daniel!

Here's the list of mobile resources which Kevin had posted earlier.

Posts 952
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2017 2:25 PM

Mark Smith:

Sean Boisen:

Sean, I'm sorry, but I checked my Library as well as the product page. The two Bibles I had were those listed on the product page, no SBL Greek NT. I had to 'order' and download the Greek NT separately. I wonder what others have found?

Thanks Daniel for clearing up the confusion i caused. To further clarify:

• No, the SBL GNT is not included in Logos Basic. This new package is primarily intended to introduce new users to the Logos platform, and the free resources were chosen accordingly. Please share it widely with those who might be interested in Logos!
  • SGL GNT and some other resources are freely (but separately) available for users that want them, as noted in the post Petah linked to.

Posts 2174
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 4:25 AM

Sean Boisen:
SGL GNT and some other resources are freely (but separately) available for users that want them

I did not find the link easily.  Is it possible to provide a link that new users can easily find that would list free resources or suggested cheap resources that can be added to this starter package?

This is done by other Bible Software companies.  It is a good idea.  If a new user can see how they can build up a library, they would then be more likely to purchase resources and eventually a package.

There is a large learning curve to Logos Bible Software.  Making it easier to locate resources will be a big help.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 8:31 AM

The wiki has a list of free resources.

Posts 2174
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 9:15 AM

PetahChristian:

The wiki has a list of free resources.

That is not the issue.  New users will not find this.

Page 4 of 5 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS