No NEW Journals - why not?

Page 24 of 38 (760 items) « First ... < Previous 22 23 24 25 26 Next > ... Last »
This post has 759 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 250
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2018 11:26 AM

Mattillo:

It was my understanding (though I could be wrong) that the prepub meter was just for show when it came to journals.  It wasn't so much an interest thing as it was a design.  I hope that is correct as it seemed like to me that the Galaxie thing was a for sure to come back regardless of interest, not to mention most of it is already in their systems

I would like to see Phil or someone on FL update us on this as many do have Galaxie from its previous existence.  I assumed that they took that into consideration though when they set the required number for it to go into production and set the bar lower for other pre-pubs.  I joined Logos late and do not have the luxuries of being "grandfathered" in.

I hope we can get more interaction started in this thread to create enough interest from FL for more clear feedback. Thanks!

Posts 250
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2018 11:33 AM

David Paul:

Another possibility is that people have just become jaded with the whole PrePub process. I know that to some extent that is true for me. I've had so many requests take forever or never even start the process. While I'm pretty sure that I've got my orders in on the journal bundles, I've gotten so used to buying dead tree items over the last year or so that I'm hardly paying any attention to what Logos is doing with PrePubs. Two years ago, I never would have believed I would say such a thing. Almost all of the 50+ books I've read in the last 1-2 years have been print on page. 

Plus, I've asked for Vetus Testamentum, Novum Testamentum, Hebrew Union College Annual, Interpretation, Harvard Theological Review, and a number of others for so long that I feel like I'm waiting for Godot. And it doesn't help much that about 2/3 to 3/4 of the journals in the Master Bundle and Galaxie bundle are things I almost NEVER encounter in the bibliographies of the books I read, either in or out of Logos.

You may be right in some sense.  I have had some lack of interest myself and cancelled items because others did the same on stuff I'm still waiting on.  Is there a better way for them to propose new works so they do not back products people will not buy?  We want FL to invest wisely and not end up on the chopping block like BW's.  The pre-pub system is designed for us to let them know what is important by enough interest to make it worth FL's investment to be good stewards and not sink the ship by selling products that people will buy and not leave anyone out to dry!

Apparently the publishing world is a hard one to master with so many protocols it is not easy for FL to nail down agreements with so many publishers who are also trying to adapt to current trends in the industry and not see FL as a competitor.  It's like anything I suppose.  So many artisans on so many venues with various representations, it is hard to get them all into one place (e.g. the media and the many avenues of garnering paid content whether music or t.v./film, etc.)  Where does it all end?

Posts 1963
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2018 11:47 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Galaxie releases their annual updates every October/November. We release our updates as we get them (aiming for quarterly, ideally). So our TJL upgrade bundle will usually be ahead of the Galaxie TJL where there's overlap. That's out of our control, unless you prefer we no longer ship journals more frequently and hold them back until the end of the year, which doesn't seem ideal to me.

There's really nothing to be confused about. Just pre-order everything you're interested in and let dynamic pricing for Pre-Pubs take care of the rest. There's nothing to lose.

What else isn't clear?

From this message dated June 11, 2018, I suppose we may hear something by Christmas...

Posts 642
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 11:35 AM

Does anyone know why the JQR only goes to 1923?

Posts 1838
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 11:57 AM

Michael S.:

Does anyone know why the JQR only goes to 1923?

It was in the public domain up to that point and didn't require licensing from a rightsholder.

Posts 1838
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 11:59 AM

Mattillo:
Any updates on the Galaxie Theological Journal Library or the 4.1 Journal Upgrades?

Both are waiting for sufficient funding to move into production.

Posts 3323
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 12:01 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Mattillo:
Any updates on the Galaxie Theological Journal Library or the 4.1 Journal Upgrades?

My biggest interest is in JETS... is there anyway to reactivate that in Logos so it can be purchased again?

Posts 9010
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 3:49 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Mattillo:

Is anyone else surprised at how slow the funding is going for both of these?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3323
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 3:59 PM

I'm disappointed these are being held up. The point of journals is to have the latest research. If we always have to wait for funding we will be back where we were before with little to no journal updates. 

Posts 301
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 11:25 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Is anyone else surprised at how slow the funding is going for both of these?

I am. That is why I posted back in June saying how surprised I was. There had been such much activity and posting about "new journals" and then when finally the packages are made available,it has been slow going. Very disappointed.

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 12:19 AM

First, is the Galaxie bundle part of the Master Bundle or separate?

I really, really, really, really, really want FL to be more active and effective at making more scholarly journals available in Logos. The majority of the journals in these bundles are denominational and ministerial in focus. With the exception of JBL, JHS, JETS, and BibSac, I very rarely find any of these being cited in my Logos library.

Posts 301
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 2:00 AM

David Paul:
I really, really, really, really, really want FL to be more active and effective at making more scholarly journals available in Logos. The majority of the journals in these bundles are denominational and ministerial in focus.

I agree!

Posts 56
Thaddeus Billman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:36 PM

David Paul:

First, is the Galaxie bundle part of the Master Bundle or separate?

There is significant overlap, but not 100% duplication.  If you preorder both, the second to go into production will be significantly discounted over the current prices you are quoted once it hits production.

Posts 3323
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 9:26 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Mattillo:

Mr Gons

Since JETS used to already be in Logos is it possible to reactivate it for purchase while we wait for the new Galaxie bundle to get funded... if it gets funded?

Posts 250
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 6:27 PM

So what actually is next? Is this process totally left to endless purgatory in pre-pub?  Or will there ever be Journal Bundles 5.x when no one is bothered about 4.1? Are we then at a total stalemate for now or will something give way? 

Why the sudden lack of interest?

Posts 3323
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 6:31 PM

Gosh I certainly hope not. I was excited that journals were coming back and I'd have a chance to get galaxie

Posts 2341
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 6:44 PM

Ken Rutherford:
Why the sudden lack of interest?

I'm breathless over the anemic response to Galaxie. Is this a put up or shut up type deal? https://www.logos.com/product/156048/galaxies-theological-journal-library-vols-1-20 This is downright end of October scary! 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 3323
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 7:04 PM

I wish they would just reactivate JETS for purchase

Posts 1963
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 7:06 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):
I want to make it clear that you're right to point out that we made a commitment to provide journal updates regularly and that we've failed to do that. I believe that we can keep that commitment going forward and I'm trying to do all I can to ensure that we do. However, it's going to take a bit of time to catch up. As soon as I have more news to share, I'll post it here. Thanks for your patience.

This message is from February 22, 2017

Posts 1963
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 7:08 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):

Mark:

Disciple of Christ (doc):
dropped without a word

The last update from FL was March 2. I happen to agree with all that everyone has written.  It is proper for FL to respond to let us know what is going on.  We were told there would be updates to the journals.  The silence is communicating a lot.

We are still working on this project. I'm sorry it keeps getting pushed back. However, we now have one person who will own the project going forward, which means it won't have to fight for the attention of multiple stakeholders.

This message is from August 15, 2017

Page 24 of 38 (760 items) « First ... < Previous 22 23 24 25 26 Next > ... Last » | RSS