An idea for Atlas

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1148
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 13 2017 12:57 PM

I have not used Atlas all that much. I find it clumsy and too rigid.....It works if you are searching a specific journey and you want to see that journey alone, but if you have any questions apart from the line on the screen you are out of luck.

I was just trying to see how far Philippi was from Rome and any info on the route Epaphroditus would have had to take (if Paul was in Rome) it was painful to get a map......

What if...... you can open Atlas and see the biblical world and similar to timeline specify a particular time (1st century) then you overlay major cities, Pauline churches etc. Then overlay the map with roads, shipping routes between churches. There could be estimated travel times to travel from Rome to Philippi etc.

Does anyone else find Atlas clumsy?

Posts 1985
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 13 2017 4:37 PM

The atlas has huge potential, but is so....something, (far too slow for one thing) that I seldom use it.  

I would be really happy to just have a couple dozen really good maps like in the back of my paper Bible. Maybe a few embellishments like search. If at least those worked quickly and well and were accessible, I would use them a lot.  Many such maps already exist, but finding them is too much hassle.  I end up going to Google and sometimes to the paper maps in the back of my Bible.  

I like your ideas.

Posts 2856
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 6:08 AM

I want to like atlas... i really, really do but it always comes up short for me.  I like the travel maps but look at this Assyrian exile map.  If I pulled this up to a regular home group class it would mean nothing to them.  There are no outlines of the countries nor possible paths of how they were exiled.  I usually just wind up going to another atlas or map book like Holman as they usually have more in the graphics department.  Maybe my expectations are too high i guess.

Posts 9765
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 7:02 AM

I think the problem started out with Libby.  She had no maps. Instead, a couple stand-alone apps, one of which is still fun to show in Bible class (going UP to Jerusalem is no easy tasker).

Then Molassas4 was intoduced, which came with limited backend graphics support. So they did a media one-off, which was pretty decent, but very slow. And not amenable to a web browser.

They really should have just bought Bible Mapper, which is very good. Unfortunately the developer was (is?) a cartographer for ESV & Co.

I've been wanting Accordance to move their desktop mapper to iOS, but that seems slow-going. Maybe cartographers are hard to find.

Posts 1608
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 7:03 AM

Mike Tourangeau:
I have not used Atlas all that much. I find it clumsy and too rigid.....

The atlas/maps really are the biggest letdown/disappointment in Logos.

Posts 655
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 7:06 AM

Allen Browne:

Mike Tourangeau:

Have you used the atlas in the web app? It's not the best bible atlas out there, but it is a big step forward from what's in the desktop app currently, and it has a lot of potential.

Posts 1148
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 8:14 AM
James McAdams:

Allen Browne:

Mike Tourangeau:

Have you used the atlas in the web app? It's not the best bible atlas out there, but it is a big step forward from what's in the desktop app currently, and it has a lot of potential.

I just tried it and it doesn't seem that different (?). Bible mapper looks promising......maybe I will just look into that for now.
Posts 1495
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 8:38 AM

Mike Tourangeau:

What if...... you can open Atlas and see the biblical world and similar to timeline specify a particular time (1st century) then you overlay major cities, Pauline churches etc. Then overlay the map with roads, shipping routes between churches. There could be estimated travel times to travel from Rome to Philippi etc.

Does anyone else find Atlas clumsy?

Yes Yes, this. I've found the current Atlas system of little use, too inflexible, etc.

One single vector map per time period + selectable overlays + zoom to a specific area would be fantastic!

Then, to replicate what the current Atlas does, you could create pre-configured selections of overlays + time-period map. That way you get the best of both worlds... simple for users that just want to just see something like Paul's 2nd Missionary Journey, but almost infinitely flexible as well for the rest of us. 

Posts 12955
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 9:04 AM

Mattillo:
I like the travel maps but look at this Assyrian exile map.  If I pulled this up to a regular home group class it would mean nothing to them

There's supposed to be many more detailed maps under the heading "Assyrian Exile", but they haven't been delivered yet. There are thirteen sections to the Atlas tool, but only four (United Kingdom, Return from Exile, Life of Jesus and Early Church) have been delivered.

Posts 2856
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 9:10 AM

Mark Barnes:

Mattillo:
I like the travel maps but look at this Assyrian exile map.  If I pulled this up to a regular home group class it would mean nothing to them

There's supposed to be many more detailed maps under the heading "Assyrian Exile", but they haven't been delivered yet. There are thirteen sections to the Atlas tool, but only four (United Kingdom, Return from Exile, Life of Jesus and Early Church) have been delivered.

Thank you Mark.  I assume those additions are part of the Map Pack 3 from Logos 6 that still haven't been shipped?

Posts 12955
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 2:49 PM

Mattillo:
I assume those additions are part of the Map Pack 3 from Logos 6 that still haven't been shipped?

You would assume so, but some of them were once in Map Pack 2. I don't know if that means they've been moved, or whether we've only got part of pack 2.

Posts 2080
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 3:26 PM

Allen Browne:

Mike Tourangeau:

That's one of the reasons why I purchased the Zondervan atlas. https://www.logos.com/product/26727/zondervan-atlas-of-the-bible 

(Note that because of all the HD maps, the file size of the resource is literally massive.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1608
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 14 2017 6:01 PM

Jan Krohn:

Allen Browne:

Mike Tourangeau:

That's one of the reasons why I purchased the Zondervan atlas. https://www.logos.com/product/26727/zondervan-atlas-of-the-bible 

(Note that because of all the HD maps, the file size of the resource is literally massive.)

Yes, I purchased it too, and it's a great resource.

But having another good resource doesn't solve the underlying issue of right-clicking a place in the Bible text, and being taken to a resource that's not relevant to that time, or not relevant to that place, or requires a web connection to load, or only loads slowly, or doesn't know anything about the place, or ...

Posts 4823
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 15 2017 9:22 PM

Mark Barnes:

Mattillo:
I assume those additions are part of the Map Pack 3 from Logos 6 that still haven't been shipped?

You would assume so, but some of them were once in Map Pack 2. I don't know if that means they've been moved, or whether we've only got part of pack 2.

Another FaiLed FL promise. These were supposed to be delivered with Logos 6.0 and well into Logos 7.0 lifecycle. They continually overpromise whether it be maps, journals, the encyclopedia britanica, the personal book storefront, partially delivered data sets etc. Will they ever deliver on what users paid for in their Logos 6.0 purchase of the Atlas map sets? To say the Atlas took is a disappointment is an understatement.

Posts 8703
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 16 2017 5:31 AM

I share with people's disappointment but I choose to be optimistic that Faithlife will improve maps in the future.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4823
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 17 2017 1:56 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I share with people's disappointment but I choose to be optimistic that Faithlife will improve maps in the future.

And that is the problem with FL.  They are over optimistic about everything instead of stepping back and being honest with themselves about what is really possible, all that matters is the dream they can sell, not whether they will deliver it.

Posts 2884
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 17 2017 2:58 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I choose to be optimistic that Faithlife will improve maps in the future.

Yes

Since map improvements are happening on the web app platform and will be coming to the desktop, as James mentioned, I think it's a certainty that we'll see better maps before or for Logos 8.

I'm simply thankful for all the improvements that FL continues to make.

Posts 2856
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 6:04 AM

Maybe we will get lucky and they'll see this post and give us the most recent updates on maps.  I am hopeful they will deliver on this as well but share in the disappointment that this was planned for L6 and still MIA

Posts 2856
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 11:24 AM

Still hoping for an update from FL Smile

Posts 584
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 2:33 PM

For teaching purposes, it would be nice to have an atlas where you could show how a city or region looks today and what it is was like in biblical times.

The atlas has long been an underdeveloped resource.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS