Majority World Christians

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2378
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 13 2017 2:50 AM

Consider the following bunch of languages:

Swahili, Filipino, Amharic, Polish, Ukrainian, Indonesian, Romanian, Twi, Hindi, Zulu, Kinyarwanda.

In total, there's about the same amount of Christians with these mother tongues than there are Christians who are native English speakers.

Yet Logos is selling 151 different English Bible translations, but not a single one of the above 11 languages.

Wouldn't it be awesome if these could be done? I can't imagine that there's no demand...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 9:52 AM

Most defiantly should be pursued but FL tends to like to sell collections.. So its not about adding in a Ukrainian Bible but adding is library of works in the Ukrainian language, usually also having a representative on staff who is fluent in the Ukrainian language... Meaning that FL is very slow in its additions of languages. Indeed sometimes for whatever reason dropping whole languages as seemed to happen with its Afrikaners works which became unavailable for purchase for several years. I too am sure there is a demand but not sure if FL wants to change it's sales strategy enough to add in a translation only (although I do know they have several foreign language Bibles without collections like Russian, but these seems to be more the exception than the rule.

-dan

Posts 120
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 10:39 AM

Would love to have a Kinyarwanda bible in Logos since I have been doing much work there, and I plan to learn the language soon, but the Bible would be the only biblical resource in that language. My experience has shown that the market for a product like Logos in Rwanda or most African countries is nonexistent. Not sure how feasible it would be to make a deal with the Bible society to get the digital copies of those Bibles to put into Logos format, but I imagine making a personal book would be just as effective.  

Posts 2378
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 11:23 AM

A personal book could not be downloaded onto the mobile apps, which I assume would be the main delivery channel in Africa (at least for the average church member), and also Asia.

As for pastors, I would assume they'd do their sermon prep using English/French/Portuguese resources, and only need a Bible in their native tongue, eliminating the need for base packages in these languages (for Central European languages the situation would be quite different though).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 426
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 13 2017 8:07 PM

Alkitab (Indonesia/ Malaysia) would be great to have in Logos format, this is available in OT, hope that some day it will make it into Logos Yes

Posts 1265
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 5:52 AM

Jan Krohn:

but not a single one of the above 11 languages:

Close but not quite Smile

And, as Mike already pointed out, Logos used to sell Indonesian Bible translations (https://community.logos.com/forums/p/37614/283024.aspx#283024 )

Jan Krohn:

Wouldn't it be awesome if these could be done? I can't imagine that there's no demand...

YesYes

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS