Robert Alter, Finally Complete!

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1383
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 20 2018 10:40 PM

And Logos needs  to get it, Link

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 470
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2018 9:04 AM

Absolutely! I mentioned it on an older post, but it deserves all the attention it can get. 

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/103549/969421.aspx

Posts 5148
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2018 2:43 PM

Nick Steffen:

Absolutely! I mentioned it on an older post, but it deserves all the attention it can get. 

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/103549/969421.aspx 

Posts 470
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2018 4:55 PM

I also added a note on a UserVoice suggestion page dedicated to his work. I really hope we can get this into Logos as soon as possible. 

Posts 2339
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2018 5:27 PM

You've got me convinced. Yes

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 18754
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2018 8:16 PM

Nick Steffen:

I also added a note on a UserVoice suggestion page dedicated to his work. I really hope we can get this into Logos as soon as possible. 

I just threw 3 votes at it.

Posts 1159
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2018 5:56 AM

Yes!

Posts 2706
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2018 3:07 PM

YesYes

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1383
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2018 3:48 PM

Almost available now in paper. Logos?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 487
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 6:10 AM

I am very interested in these and the new set coming out this Dec that is all 3 volumes in one set..

I have been trying to research him..  Do any of you know if he is conservative or Liberal?    Does he consider the bible the very word of God or just fantasy and great writing?

This one part of an interview below concerned me where he said his translation of this word in 23rd psalm was a more reality-based translation.

Can you give an example of what you mean by “accuracy”?

In the 23rd psalm that begins “The Lord is my shepherd,” the King James translation of the concluding line reads: “I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” My translation reads: “I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for very long days.” The word “forever” is an abstraction, referring to God’s house in heaven. My translation, “for very long days,” refers to the Temple in Jerusalem. The Hebrew is more accurate, reality-based, easily understood and thus more relevant to contemporary readers and worshipers.

Posts 1383
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 9:03 AM

Alter was a Jewish professor in both English literature and Hebrew Bible at UCBerkeley. Given his religious background, I don't think you'll find any Evangelicalish statements about inerrancy or whatnot. 

Posts 518
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 9:48 AM

YesYesYes

Posts 487
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 9:51 AM

Ok thank you guys..  That is exactly what I needed to know.

Posts 1383
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2018 6:32 AM

This book and Alter highlight in the Times today

Posts 250
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 9:13 PM

Sign me up!

Posts 1383
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 2:11 PM

Bump! Please go register your desire for Robert Alter's works at UserVoice!
https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/13439313-robert-alter-all-of-his-works 

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 7:03 AM

Good review! Would be great in Logos...

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/reviews/hebrew-bible-robert-alter/

Posts 1383
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 8:45 AM

Thanks for that. Have voted (again?) at UserVoice.

Posts 1383
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2019 9:49 AM

bump

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS