BUG: Copy Bible Verses does not display text of last reference, but copies correctly

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 15 2010 6:35 PM

When I use the copy bible verse feature, I noticed that sometimes the last reference entered does not show up in the full text box below.  However, if I click the "copy" or "copy and paste" buttons, the full text of all references copies correctly.  Attached is a log file.  See screen shot attachment with next note.

Steps to reproduce

1. Loaded logos 4
  2. clicked on tools >> copy bible verses
  3. selected "Copy Simple Paragraphs from ESV to Microsoft Word"
  4. Entered "Revelation 22:12-21, John 17:20-26" (without quotes) and clicked arrow
  5. Actual Result
    Only the text of Revelation 22:12-21 showed up in the text area, but when either the "copy" or "copy and paste" buttons were clicked, both passages copied correctly.
    Expected Result
    I expected that the full text of all references would show up in the text area,

System Specs

Toshiba P300 Notebook  |  Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 @ 2.13 GHz  |  4GB RAM  |  Windows 7 Professional 64bit - all patches  |  Microsoft Security Essentials - up to date

Logos Version: 4.0c (4.03.3.9511)

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 6:37 PM

And attached here is a copy of the screen shot.

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 6:58 PM

Odd. If I reverse the passages and put instead John 17:20–26, Revelation 22:12-21, it works fine. And if I do it in the NLT instead of ESV in the order you gave Revelation 22:12-21, John 17:20–26, it also works fine. And if I use the style "Fully Formatted" it works, too (even in ESV with the Revelation passage first). So you just hit on a particular combination that seems not to work.

Anyway, this display area is only meant to be a sample of what the formatting style will look like, so it's not all that crucial that it include all the text. However it does appear you've found a quirky bug.

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 7:13 PM

Rosie Perera:

Odd. If I reverse the passages and put instead John 17:20–26, Revelation 22:12-21, it works fine. And if I do it in the NLT instead of ESV in the order you gave Revelation 22:12-21, John 17:20–26, it also works fine. And if I use the style "Fully Formatted" it works, too (even in ESV with the Revelation passage first). So you just hit on a particular combination that seems not to work.

Anyway, this display area is only meant to be a sample of what the formatting style will look like, so it's not all that crucial that it include all the text. However it does appear you've found a quirky bug.

Yes, it does seem a bit quirky.  I tried various combinations too, some with two verses, some with three or four.  The bug doesn't seem consistent.  And here's a really quirky one: if I use the "fully formatted" option, I get what you see in the attached screenshot.Surprise   And the John passage is at the very end (which you can't see in the screenshot)!

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 7:19 PM

Donald S:

And here's a really quirky one: if I use the "fully formatted" option, I get what you see in the attached screenshot.Surprise   And the John passage is at the very end (which you can't see in the screenshot)!

Yeah, I got that too. I dismisssed it, too quickly perhaps, as maybe the full text of a footnote or something bizarre like that. But I don't really think it is. How weird!

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 7:20 PM

I don't know much about the processing of a resource, but it makes me wonder if there's something amiss with reference tags internal to the ESV resource.

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 10:42 PM

Donald S:

I don't know much about the processing of a resource, but it makes me wonder if there's something amiss with reference tags internal to the ESV resource.

The footnote issue is worth noting in an email to revint@logos.com should be picked up here! I originally thought it was an ESV issue but I think it is a CBV one!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 11:02 PM

Dave Hooton:

The footnote issue is worth noting in an email to revint@logos.com should be picked up here! I originally thought it was an ESV issue but I think it is a CBV one!

It's not a footnote issue. I just said I had thought maybe text from a footnote was getting in there, but it's not a footnote. The Table of Weights and Measures shows up in the ESV resource text right at the end of Revelation and is getting picked up by CBV. Probably an indexing issue with the ESV. I'm not sure how they denote the boundaries of verses in resources, but obviously Rev 22:21 ends with  "Amen." and shouldn't include the table which follows it.

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 5:02 PM

Rosie Perera:

Probably an indexing issue with the ESV. I'm not sure how they denote the boundaries of verses in resources, but obviously Rev 22:21 ends with  "Amen." and shouldn't include the table which follows it.

Hmm.  I agree with you, Rosie. It looks like the problem only occurs for references which occur after the verse Rev. 22:21.  Then, in all styles except fully formatted, the other references following Rev. 22:21 disappear, while in the fully formatted style the "Weights and Measures" shows up, with the other references following.  My guess is that this is a unique instance with this verse from Revelation only.  I haven't been able to reproduce it otherwise.

For example, if I type in John 16:22, Revelation 22:21, Acts 2:11, and select simple paragraph style, I see the text of John and Revelation displayed, but not the text of Acts.  Fully formatted again reveals the Weights and Measures, together with all the other texts.

It looks to me the problem lies somehow with the way "Revelation 22:21" and "Weights and Measures" are indexed (or tagged, or whatever the appropriate term is Smile ), and likely only with the ESV resource.

It now seems fairly minor, and after pasting could be solved with a judicious "cut" if necessary.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 11:11 AM

We'll look into this. Thank you.

Update:  If you enter the passage like this: 'Revelation 22:20, John 17:20–26', the preview is correct for all styles. So, it does appear to be a CBV issue, in that when it picks up the last verse in the ESV, Rev 22:21, it includes the Table of Weights and Measures section at the end of the ESV. In Fully Formatted style, it displays this section; in the other styles, it leaves room for the section, but the text is not visible. That's why there is such a large space between passages, and you have to scroll down to see the passage in John.

I'll report this. Thanks.

Edit:  Before submitting this, I went back to the ESV and scrolled down below Rev 22:21, and noticed that the reference box stays at 'Revelation 22:21' when you scroll to the Table of Weights and Meaures section. So, I'm revising this to be a problem with the ESV instead, and will report it as such.

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 1:36 PM

Melissa Snyder:

In Fully Formatted style, it displays this section; in the other styles, it leaves room for the section, but the text is not visible. That's why there is such a large space between passages, and you have to scroll down to see the passage in John.

I'll report this. Thanks.

Edit:  Before submitting this, I went back to the ESV and scrolled down below Rev 22:21, and noticed that the reference box stays at 'Revelation 22:21' when you scroll to the Table of Weights and Meaures section. So, I'm revising this to be a problem with the ESV instead, and will report it as such.

Well how's about that!  In the simple paragraphs style (and in others except "fully formatted") I just dídn't scroll through the empty space enough to see the last reference Idea  But thanks for removing the blank space when you've got the time.  I appreciate your quick response and time spent.  It really is a small matter as it turns out.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS