Best Logos Tip?

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 1
Matt Stidham | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 18 2018 8:12 AM

Hello all, first post in this forum, at least that I can remember...

I'm wondering what your best tip is for Logos? I've used it for years, but I've learned that seemingly everyone has figured out a little shortcut, or awesome and helpful tool built into the system that they like to share.

So, what is your best Logos tip?

Posts 2653
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 8:18 AM

Matt Stidham:

Don't buy it in the first place.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 505
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 9:41 AM

Matt, to balance Doc B's reply I'll add that I've been with Logos since about 2003 and have never had any serious problems with it. Sure, I've had a steep learning curve, because I'm not tech savvy. But the program has worked well for me. My studies have been deepened, a now lengthy retirement has been blessed, my faith has been deepened, I hope my love has been strengthened. As to your request for a "best tip", I'd say "Link Sets" for Greek/Hebrew lexica followed closely by "Multliple Resources". Shalom, shalom, Steve

Posts 565
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 10:30 AM

Work on setting up a layout that works best for you, and save it as a named layout. 

Posts 1237
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 10:41 AM

I love the ability to put a Bible Word Study Guide into a linkset with my ESV and simply click on any English word to instantly have the BWS run the report on the underlying OL word.

Posts 61
Ken Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 10:58 AM

Get an SSD.

Posts 562
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 11:33 AM

Subscribe to all the emails, forums and blogs, then keep the subscriptions that are helpful to you. Especially this general forum. Practice, practice, practice and experiment.

Posts 8430
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 4:28 PM

Matt Stidham:
Hello all, first post in this forum, at least that I can remember...

Welcome to the forums Matt. I hope you will continue to participate often.

Matt Stidham:
I'm wondering what your best tip is for Logos?

I really appreciate leaving the Information tool open in a window as I study or read. Below is an example of my daily reading as I work my way through the NT this year. By hovering over the Greek word I can quickly see lots of information about that word.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 715
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 5:05 PM

Matt Stidham:

I'm wondering what your best tip is for Logos? I've used it for years, but I've learned that seemingly everyone has figured out a little shortcut, or awesome and helpful tool built into the system that they like to share.

Organize your research around "Favorites"!  Create a folder for each topic.  You can save almost anything there: open resources, layouts, search results, passage guides, notes files, word studies.

When I start a subject for teaching, I first create a new folder for the class.  I then browse my library for pertinent information.  I use a sub-folder for resources for further investigation.  When I find I have gone down a rabbit warren with multiple tabs open.  Then if I have to interrupt, I create a layout and drag it to the favorites folder for later study.

I realize you asked for one tip, but the second tip is to "get control of your notes"!  There are lots of threads in this forum with ideas on how to organize note files.  There have been many people who arrive at this forum after finding that their notes have all been accumulated in a single highlighting pallette which has grown so large that it slows everything down.

Getting in the habit of creating one notes file per resource is a good default.

Posts 23693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 5:29 PM

Have a named layout(s) with your favourite/most used resources, at least one guide, two Search panels in separate tiles, and a narrow tile on the right for Tools like Highlighting, Information, Favorites. No more than 20 panels in total. Advantages:

• When you search, you can often select from Open Resources
  • You can compare two sets of search results side-by-side
  • You can put bibles and commentaries in a link set(s).
  • More flexible than Home Page layouts.
  • Can accommodate your study method

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 271
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2018 7:19 PM

Dave Hooton:

Have a named layout(s) with your favourite/most used resources, at least one guide, two Search panels in separate tiles, and a narrow tile on the right for Tools like Highlighting, Information, Favorites. No more than 20 panels in total. Advantages:

• When you search, you can often select from Open Resources
  • You can compare two sets of search results side-by-side
  • You can put bibles and commentaries in a link set(s).
  • More flexible than Home Page layouts.
  • Can accommodate your study method

That looks really interesting Dave. Would you mind posting a screen shot of your layout?

Thanks.

Posts 1890
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 3:17 AM

Send resources from the desktop application to mobile in bulk instead of downloading them individually directly on mobile.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 238
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2018 9:33 PM

1. Take a few days of to spend time with Logos

2. Prioritize your Bibles, Commentaries, Grammars and Dictionaries rather sooner than later.

Posts 582
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2018 9:56 PM

When you are reading a passage in a commentary, just hit the right arrow key to immediately jump to the same passage in your next commentary instead of having to go via the library. (This feature is enhanced if you've already prioritized your favorite commentaries).

Posts 965
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 3:06 AM

Ryan:

When you are reading a passage in a commentary, just hit the right arrow key to immediately jump to the same passage in your next commentary instead of having to go via the library. (This feature is enhanced if you've already prioritized your favorite commentaries).

Didn't know this! +1 

Posts 582
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 3:31 AM

Richard Wardman:

Ryan:

Didn't know this! +1 

Glad I could help! It also works for Bibles too.

Posts 1237
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 3:45 AM

Ryan:

To further enhance it, create collections and select "Show in parallel resources."

Then, with a Bible or commentary open (that's included in at least one collection), select the parallel resources menu (#1 in the screenshot), then select the column you wish to use (indicated by a checkmark...#2 in the screenshot). Now instead of the arrow keys cycling through ALL parallel resources, they'll only cycle through that collection. Please note: If your current resource is included in more than one collection, you may have more than one page of available columns (#3 in the screenshot).

Posts 3456
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 6:13 AM

You can do a great deal from the context menu within resources. Familiarise yourself with the sort of things you can find there and you are more likely to remember to use it frequently to enrich your research and make it easier.

Posts 5
Joe Griffin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2018 5:26 AM

I would say make use of the Logos Pro system video training and initially make sure to check Logos Training video in settings (gear symbol) . The single best tip is to use Logos daily. 

Posts 715
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2018 2:47 PM

Ryan:

I was showing this to my son on Monday.  We noticed that if our Bible is linked to the Commentary pane, and if a commentary did not comment on that section of scripture, our Bible would be pulled off to the closest reference in the commentary.  Thus, we would have to reposition the Bible by typing the passage.

Both of us had a recollection that the Bible frame could be "locked" to the reference to keep this from happening, but we didn't see any way to keep the Bible from "wandering off".  Does anyone know how to keep the passage firmly in place in the Bible while scrolling through a myriad of commentaries?

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS