Factbook vs Guide vs Workflow

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 34442
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 21 2020 1:55 AM

I got asked a question which made me wonder how others would answer this question: What do you see as the differences between Factbook, Guide, and Workflow?

My answer:

• Factbook is where I go to get information sort of like an Almanac
  • Guide is where I go to get my data to digest and turn into information
  • Workflow is where I go to be walked through how to convert data into information or to see how to teach others to do so

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8649
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 2:59 AM

👍😁👌

Posts 568
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 4:34 AM

MJ I like how you defined it..  Yes

Posts 2592
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 4:36 AM

Factbook is topic focused study and research.

Guides are pericope/primary text focused study and research.

Workflows provide suggested processes for different types of  study and research.

Edit: on review, I am thinking of the PG and EG here. There are topical and theological guides that fall outside my definition... so I'll go with MJ's.

Posts 3106
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 6:51 AM

MJ. Smith:
sort of like an Almanac

Perhaps you should use 'wiki' instead of 'almanac' so those under 40 will be able to understand your sentence.

Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 190
Scott David | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2021 2:59 PM

Hi MJ. This may be more information than you're looking for (I think you were primarily after a big picture view) -- but here's a little chart I created. It's only guides found in the Logos 9 Starter package, and even then -- not all of the guides, but I hope it may be of some help!

Posts 34442
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2021 3:22 PM

Nice chart. Thanks for sharing.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9712
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2021 3:59 PM

Thanks Scott. That is a great chart that must have taken a great deal of time to create.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5751
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2021 7:27 PM

MJ. Smith:
What do you see as the differences between Factbook, Guide, and Workflow?

Factbook: Alternative to Wikipedia.

Guide: Powerful research tool.

Workflow: N/A.

“Whoever looks upon the Crucified One sees what love is.” — Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

Posts 190
Scott David | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2021 9:16 PM

Bruce Dunning:
 Thanks Scott. That is a great chart that must have taken a great deal of time to create. 

Thanks Bruce! It's one of the charts from the Logos Manual.

Manual download links:
https://community.logos.com/forums/p/182780/1057673.aspx#1057673 

Manual Covers (for the Logos Version) for download here:
https://community.logos.com/forums/p/182780/1057871.aspx#1057871
https://community.logos.com/forums/p/182780/1149830.aspx#1149830

Posts 190
Scott David | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2021 9:18 PM

I'm still struggling to decide when I should use Factbook and when to use Topic Guide Hmm

Posts 2592
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2021 10:26 PM

Hi Scott,

Logos/Verbum 9 has designed the Factbook to be the starting point. It will provide links to the Topic Guide, Sermon Starter and Theology Guide depending on the topic selected. That doesn't mean you have to start there, but as i have tried it out, i have found it the best place to start.

The guides can be customized to include collections of books that allows me to see what my library has to say about the subject that would otherwise be missed or require multiple searches.

Posts 480
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2021 2:28 AM

John Fidel:
Logos/Verbum 9 has designed the Factbook to be the starting point. It will provide links to the Topic Guide, Sermon Starter and Theology Guide depending on the topic selected. That doesn't mean you have to start there, but as i have tried it out, i have found it the best place to start

The L9 Factbook is now the place to begin for everything. See the free webinar by Morris Proctor New to Logos? Start with the Factbook! | MP Seminars It has revolutionised my appreciation and usefulness of L9. I cant recommend this webinar highly enough if you are still wondering about how to use Logos effectively and simply. (Do the webinar not just read the web pages. You will get so much more out of it).

Posts 480
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2021 2:46 AM

Scott shared charts above which clearly took time to do. However, the things has has marked as not appearing in Factbook (Journals, Sermons, etc) all appear in my Factbook. It just depends on the resources you own.

Posts 190
Scott David | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2021 7:27 AM

John Fidel:
 Hi Scott, Logos/Verbum 9 has designed the Factbook to be the starting point. It will provide links to the Topic Guide, Sermon Starter and Theology Guide... 

This is more helpful than you know John. I just upgraded, and started using the Factbook for the first time -- about a week ago. Some of the questions in my mind are (John, I'm not necessarily directing these Qs at you; just throwing them out in general):

1) Will Factbook recommend all the guides that are pertinent for a given search, or only a limited set (e.g. Topic, Sermon, Theology, etc)?

2) Should we use Factbook for Passage searches, as well as Topic searches?

3) Since Factbook is a Tool (not a Guide) -- does that mean we're not able to create a custom version of it (i.e. a Custom Guide for Factbook)?

Posts 25490
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2021 7:36 AM

Great questions Scott

Some (possible partial answers):

Scott David:
1) Will Factbook recommend all the guides that are pertinent for a given search, or only a limited set (e.g. Topic, Sermon, Theology, etc)?

It doesn't seem to. Taking Demons as an example, it does link to the Theology Guide but not to the Topic Guide. Note, I don't know if this is how it is designed, or the current implemenation status.

Scott David:
2) Should we use Factbook for Passage searches, as well as Topic searches?

Factbook does work against passage but doesn't provide all the different sections in a Passage Guide, so being able to link to a Passage and Exegetical Guide from Factbook is helpful

Scott David:

3) Since Factbook is a Tool (not a Guide) -- does that mean we're not able to create a custom version of it (i.e. a Custom Guide for Factbook)?

That is correct, we can't make a custom Factbook.

Posts 190
Scott David | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2021 7:40 AM

Stephen McCracken:
 See the free webinar by Morris Proctor New to Logos? Start with the Factbook! | MP Seminars 

Thanks Stephen; watching it now.

Posts 190
Scott David | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2021 7:47 AM

Stephen McCracken:
David shared charts above which clearly took time to do. However, the things has has marked as not appearing in Factbook (Journals, Sermons, etc) all appear in my Factbook. It just depends on the resources you own.

Thanks Stephen, it's important to me to get that chart to be accurate... if anyone sees resources on the chart that should be RED CHECKED (i.e. "Shows up in Factbook") -- or has a link to a resource which can help me improve the accuracy -- please let me know. I'm adding Journals and Sermons.

By the way, my Journals and Sermons do show up in other Guides... hmmm... interesting...

Posts 190
Scott David | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2021 7:58 AM

Graham Criddle:
Great questions Scott Some (possible partial answers):

Wow, tremendous Graham... Thank You!

Posts 190
Scott David | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2021 7:59 AM

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS