The Liturgy of the Hours is here!

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2020 3:04 PM

Ah, that makes much more sense. Thanks for explaining.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 173
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 8:55 AM

We are doing testing and reworking of the Verbum Liturgy of the Hours now. This is such an important resource that we want to get it right before we release.

Posts 173
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 9:46 AM

Here's a preview, but keep in mind that this is not the final version:

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 10:08 AM

Looks good. Will we have the Dashboard linking us to the specific Hours of the day, similar to what we have with the Missal now?

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 187
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 10:08 AM

Thanks! Could you post a picture of the psalms, please? It is just to check if they are linked to other resources as well.

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 10:15 AM

If you mean, “choose your own version,” I think it has to be the approved version 

Posts 29091
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 12:36 PM

David Wanat:

If you mean, “choose your own version,” I think it has to be the approved version 

The Liturgy of the Hours book is in use by a number of Anglicans who have different "approved" versions. And when not prayed in community, a great deal of flexibility is allowed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 1:36 PM

I was under the impression that this was the English translation of the official Catholic Liturgy of the Hours

Posts 2
Andrew Wolfe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 1:59 PM

Is it ready or is it still being finished off?  

Posts 187
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 2:18 PM

David Wanat:

I was under the impression that this was the English translation of the official Catholic Liturgy of the Hours

But nevertheless it would be fine to have direct access to hebrew and greek, besides other languages. And besides, as far as I know, the official hymns are not the same everywhere.

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 3:01 PM

Manuel Maria:

But nevertheless it would be fine to have direct access to hebrew and greek, besides other languages. And besides, as far as I know, the official hymns are not the same everywhere.

As I see it, it's a question of what they're allowed to do with the work. Would these things modify the work. I think we'll find that it's going to have the same requirements to follow the text as the Missal if they want it to be approved for official use.

Posts 29091
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 4:00 PM

David Wanat:

Manuel Maria:

As I see it, it's a question of what they're allowed to do with the work. Would these things modify the work. I think we'll find that it's going to have the same requirements to follow the text as the Missal if they want it to be approved for official use.

As I understand it, it is a copy of the four volume printed Liturgy of the Hours. However, there are multiple copyrights involved - Liturgy of the Hours only text, Bible text, Psalter text, and hundreds of hymn and reading copyrights. I would not expect Faithlife to have bought additional rights to the Bible and Grail Psalms. Therefore, they will be pulling those from existing licensing ... hence, they have the ability to also allow other versions to be called in to reflect countries other than the US. Mind you, I am not a lawyer so I could be wrong on this.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29091
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 4:52 PM

What I can't see from this excerpt:

1. Are the rubrics in red as in the Missal?
  2. Where do I set the translation for the Bible readings and the Psalms/Canticles?
  3. Are the Canticles in the Grail version available in Verbum?
  4. I assume that the link to the Fathers is by reference so that my highest priority translation is selected.

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 7:07 PM

MJ. Smith:

David Wanat:

Manuel Maria:

As I understand it, it is a copy of the four volume printed Liturgy of the Hours. However, there are multiple copyrights involved - Liturgy of the Hours only text, Bible text, Psalter text, and hundreds of hymn and reading copyrights. I would not expect Faithlife to have bought additional rights to the Bible and Grail Psalms. Therefore, they will be pulling those from existing licensing ... hence, they have the ability to also allow other versions to be called in to reflect countries other than the US. Mind you, I am not a lawyer so I could be wrong on this.

I understand. My interest goes as far as it can be approved for official use in the Church. So my questions and comments reflect that. 

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 7:14 PM

David Wanat:

Andrew Wolfe:

I went to the order page, but I don't see anything of the 'prayer interface.'  I really hope that you truly have a "streamlined" approach with no flipping and jumping, but I don't want to drop $90 hoping that you did it better than the free breviaries out there.  What makes this better than the free apps?

I’ll be happy if it works like the Missal, but we’ll see. Hopefully we’ll get the preview before we get the bill

I'm quite a newb to all of this as I have never used the four volume set, but was introduced to the Christian Prayer book when I took part in daily life at John Michael Talbot's Little Portion hermitage/monastery.  And that was/is still confusing. My solution was in discovering www.divineoffice.org and then getting their app.  everything flowed in order as it should which made it far more devotional and enjoyable for me. will this have similar function?  Was hard for me to determine that from the screenshots above.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 29091
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 7:41 PM

Friedrich:
  everything flowed in order as it should which made it far more devotional and enjoyable for me. will this have similar function? 

I would doubt it as it was advertised as the resource "The Liturgy of the Hours" not as a new tool or workflow.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 8:03 PM

MJ. Smith:

Friedrich:
  everything flowed in order as it should which made it far more devotional and enjoyable for me. will this have similar function? 

I would doubt it as it was advertised as the resource "The Liturgy of the Hours" not as a new tool or workflow.

Martha, I'm not really sure what you are saying...nor what I am saying for that matter. I thought that CP was a condensed Liturgy of the Hours, or am I wrong on that?  And my only point was that my referenced website and their app collate the morning, midday, evening, night etc elements of each prayer set: Psalms, antiphons, etc.

I'd like a simple way to engage in the prayers.  Maybe that is beyond what LOH is about and how people, who know it, would use it. (ie, they might be fine flipping back and forth)  I was just curious.  I use the Divine Office app a lot, as it has people reading the prayers and one can follow along with them, praying "communally," even if alone.

Posts 29091
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2020 2:33 AM

Let my try again ... sometimes being too familiar with something hampers communication.

Yes, you are correct that Christian Prayer is a condensed Liturgy of the Hours. And the ribbons and page flipping necessary to follow Christian Prayer also occurs in the Liturgy of the Hours. Yes, ribbon placement is a basic Catholic skill for Mass and Prayer - every reader, server, or liturgical prayer participant has to master it.

What I was saying was that FL advertised this as a resource book ... it will be like the hard copy of the Christian Prayer but without ribbons or the ability to place your fingers between pages to mark your place. If FL was producing something similar to the website you reference or the related app, they would have advertised a tool or minimally a workflow that provide the collated prayer flow.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2020 9:36 AM

MJ. Smith:

Let my try again ... sometimes being too familiar with something hampers communication.

Yes, you are correct that Christian Prayer is a condensed Liturgy of the Hours. And the ribbons and page flipping necessary to follow Christian Prayer also occurs in the Liturgy of the Hours. Yes, ribbon placement is a basic Catholic skill for Mass and Prayer - every reader, server, or liturgical prayer participant has to master it.

What I was saying was that FL advertised this as a resource book ... it will be like the hard copy of the Christian Prayer but without ribbons or the ability to place your fingers between pages to mark your place. If FL was producing something similar to the website you reference or the related app, they would have advertised a tool or minimally a workflow that provide the collated prayer flow.

thanks...and likely, they should.

Posts 3561
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2020 12:12 PM

MJ. Smith:

What I can't see from this excerpt:

1. Are the rubrics in red as in the Missal?

Actually, you can see that. For example, "SECOND READING", "(Cat. 21 [...]", the "--" before "Be glad", and "Baptism is a symbol of Christ's passion" are all red in the physical text and not-red in the preview.

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS