Complete Jewish Bible doesn't seem to offer much in the way of Logos goodies…

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 7 2011 10:38 AM

This is a resource that would do well to have some "hover over" definitions and what have you.  Which reminds me, I've always thought that Logos should offer up some statistics on how their versions differ from the print version.  Something like tags/page ratio would help in the evaluation process.  I'm excited about getting this resource, but there is a certain amount of let down due to the fact that unfamiliar terms are not easily illuminated.  Kvetching for instance.  This resource would be greatly enhanced by providing "hover over" definitions.  The resource actually puts words like kvetching in italics, but without Logos enhancement that detail does nothing to facilitate study that the print version doesn't already do.  This item was just released yesterday, but I don't see where the Logos version adds much value.  Anyhoo, still a happy camper because this Bible version is very much a joy to read.

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2011 11:05 AM

You can right click on any word and select "Look up" in the left side of the popup menu and that will look it up in a dictionary for you. You'll get better results if you prioritize your dictionaries according to which ones you'd want to look in first. And you'd get even better results for this particular resource if you added the JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words to your library, if you don't have it already. It includes all those wonderful Yiddish words which have made it into the English language, such as the following definition:

kvetch v. Yiddish (KVETCH) To chronically complain or gripe to others over minor issues and exaggerated aches and pains. "Stop kvetching about your sore ankle like it’s a broken leg." n. kvetcher One who kvetches.

Unfortunately, the right-click lookup method does not seem to be able to parse kvetching and look up its dictionary form, or else the JPD Dictionary of Jewish Words is not properly tagged to include the inflected forms so that look up will work in it (I'll report that issue). Thus you'd have to parse it yourself and look it up manually by typing lookup kvetch in the command bar. With my particular prioritization, this brings up the definition in my Collins English Dictionary, 8th ed:

kvetch (kvɛtʃ) vb intr slang chiefly US to complain or grumble, esp incessantly [c20: from Yiddish kvetshn, literally: to squeeze, press]

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2011 11:20 AM

I just about bought that dictionary the other day when it was on sale.  I was trying to limit my expenditures and that one, unfortunately, didn't make the final cut.  I wish I knew what I know now—when I was younger, I guess. Smile

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2011 11:45 AM

Michael Anda:

I just about bought that dictionary the other day when it was on sale.  I was trying to limit my expenditures and that one, unfortunately, didn't make the final cut.  I wish I knew what I know—when I was younger, I guess. Smile

You can probably get  a sweet deal on it by contacting a sales rep and explaining that to them. They will sometimes be nice and extend a sale price for you (or almost as much off) if you ask about it. Even if not, it's only $12.95 so perhaps sometime in the next couple of months you'll feel you can afford to splurge on it. It's a wonderful resource. I grew up hearing a lot of Yiddish words from my Dad who spent some time working in a Jewish environment in New York, so I love being able to look up what they all mean. I knew some of them from context as a child -- kvetching was definitely one we heard a lot, as well as shlep, tzimmes, shmaltzy, shlemiel and shlimazel. But every once in a while my Dad comes out with one I never heard before.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS